DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

how can I tell if my ecm is fried

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can I tell if my ecm is fried

I just got my car back from the shop after waiting so long to finally drive it. I had the engine rebuilt with a bigger cam and other things including #24 SVO injectors. I should also mention that I have the Prominator in my car. The engine was running lean so I adjusted the inj constant down to 19.5 knowing it would run rich, but better rich than lean. Anyhow I plugged my laptop in using a new invertor that I purchased, got TunerPro Rt running and set everything up to take a scan. I then started the car and the laptop shut down. The car started idling really rough and the service engine soon light came on. I shut the car off and then proceeded to get the laptop up and running again. When I turned the accessories back on the service engine soon light is on and the fans now turn on too. I have disconnected the battery and reconnected but still the same thing. I have even tried plugging in a scanner and I can't get a connection. Is there a sure way to check if the ECM is fried or should I already assume the worst. Also what are the chances that the Prominator is fried too...
Old 05-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Have you tried just reflashing the prominator with the ecm unpowered?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Start with the basics.

Plug the just the memcal, and see if the engine at least runs, without a SES light. If using the stock memcal gets a SES, then Prominator, etc., are probably OK. If it runs OK with no SES light, then try reprogramming the Prominator, or better yet use just a chip with the same memcal .bin.

Go one item at a time, starting at square one, and you'll find the problem.

Might even take a look at the plugs, and see what they're like. While at the shop it might have undergone alot of cold starts, and fouled some.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:25 PM

I used the laptop again and tried to connect with the Prominator software. It tells me that no Prominator detected.

Grumpy: I will do as you suggest and remove the prominator card and insert the origional memcal back in to see if that remedies the situation. I should have thought that through some more. I am just a little frustrated when I am so anxious about driving this car and all I seem to do is chase problem. lol I even cleaned up the interior for its maiden voyage of the year... oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the help I will be sure to give these suggestions a try ASAP
Old 05-30-2005, 09:12 PM

Well a reflash to the prominator turned out to be the answer. Thanks. My next step would have been to rule out the ECM by replacing the Memcal as Grumpy suggested. I took it out for a run and it is too rich. I hope to adjust the inj constant to 21 or so and see what difference that makes.

I am running a ZZ9 cam and I understand that large cams tend to run lean on a stock fuel/spark curve... after getting the blms in order I hope to address that lean area next... thanks again
Old 05-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
If you're running newer 6E code on an 88 or older TPI then you need to unhook the cold start injector. I don't know details about your car and for future reference so you don't have to mention it have your car/ecm in your signiture.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:48 AM

Thanks, I added my car information to my signature - I should have thought of that sooner....