DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Wideband & Narrowband o2 Sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Wideband & Narrowband o2 Sensor wiring

I ordered and am going to be installing a 4-wire heated narrow band o2 sensor.

However it just occurred to me that it would be awesome if I could wire it up so I can just quick swap between it and the Zt2 wideband sensor and use the simulated narrowband output too!

I haven't ordered my Zt2 yet so maybe someone can tell me what the connetor on it looks like. For example, is the wideband sensor also a 4 wire or what? Here's where I am going with this......lol...

The NB uses 4 wires, ECM/12v/2 ground. What does the WB use? Does it have an ECM/12v/ground? It's says on their site it's a 5-wire, hows that work? For this to work I would have to use say a 6 pin connector so the first 3 are 12v/2 grounds for the 4-wire NB, then the 4th would be straight to the ECM for the NB, the 5th would be to the WB simulated NB output box which would then pin into the ECM where the NB one does, and the 6th would be the raw WB output.

See then I can simply plug in the NB and it work AND then just unplug and plug in the WB and it STILL work!!!!

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone done this before???

EDIT: I just thought that I'd have to make sure both the NB and WB I use are sensor calibrated to output the same signal at any given ohm. PLUS I'd have to worry about what the simulated NB converter on the WB may also do to skew the input to the ECM.

I'm thinking it's just easier to permantly wire in the WB and tune it using the simulated NB output and be done with it, lol...

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-18-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wideband & Narrowband o2 Sensor wiring

Originally posted by 92GTA
...I'm thinking it's just easier to permantly wire in the WB and tune it using the simulated NB output and be done with it, lol...
The WB needs the extra wires because it actively controls the heating temp from its box of tricks. You shouldn't be mixing up the wiring. If you want to see how WB sensors work there are some good illustrations on the web (eg on the Techedge site you'll see illustrations of Bosch and NTK sensors).

BTW, I don't understand what you mean about tuning it using the simulated NB output. Why would you want to do that when you can tune with WB output?

John
Old 01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10
Re: Wideband & Narrowband o2 Sensor wiring

Originally posted by 92GTA
I ordered and am going to be installing a 4-wire heated narrow band o2 sensor.

However it just occurred to me that it would be awesome if I could wire it up so I can just quick swap between it and the Zt2 wideband sensor and use the simulated narrowband output too!

I haven't ordered my Zt2 yet so maybe someone can tell me what the connetor on it looks like. For example, is the wideband sensor also a 4 wire or what? Here's where I am going with this......lol...

The NB uses 4 wires, ECM/12v/2 ground. What does the WB use? Does it have an ECM/12v/ground? It's says on their site it's a 5-wire, hows that work? For this to work I would have to use say a 6 pin connector so the first 3 are 12v/2 grounds for the 4-wire NB, then the 4th would be straight to the ECM for the NB, the 5th would be to the WB simulated NB output box which would then pin into the ECM where the NB one does, and the 6th would be the raw WB output.

See then I can simply plug in the NB and it work AND then just unplug and plug in the WB and it STILL work!!!!

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone done this before???

EDIT: I just thought that I'd have to make sure both the NB and WB I use are sensor calibrated to output the same signal at any given ohm. PLUS I'd have to worry about what the simulated NB converter on the WB may also do to skew the input to the ECM.

I'm thinking it's just easier to permantly wire in the WB and tune it using the simulated NB output and be done with it, lol...

92 GTA,

You do know that the ZT-2 has an analog output for simulated NB operation, don't you. That way you can datalog the WB while the ECM controls VE using the NB output. I will say however, that I have been using the EBL/HUD scantool and it shows the NB and WB outputs simultaneously. On a modded motor at least, those 2 signals can be very different. The NB just isn't good enough to tune with, not granular enough. In fact, I don't use the BLMs either, just the AFR coming from the WB.