DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Anyone know if sensors can be wired in parallel to factory ECM and DFI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am/WS6
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Anyone know if sensors can be wired in parallel to factory ECM and DFI?

Sorry, not a PROM question but figured this forum was my best bet -

I was wondering if a TPS or MAT could be wired to an Accel DFI unit AND the factory ECM at the same time. That way, the factory ECM could be retained for EGR, Purge Cannister, A.I.R., etc., for anyone wanting to install DFI and remain emissions-legal. Otherwise, I've been thinking about developing a BASIC Stamp or using a Z-World (if you know what that is)to control all the emissions stuff Accel doesn't.

p.s. I contacted Accel on this and they were rather coy (wanted me to contact an approved DFI installation center). They led me to believe, however, that it was possible.

------------------
-Greg

'85 Trans Am - WS6,TPI:
Original owner, original paint/engine/interior, plus the usual bolt-ons
Old 04-16-2001, 03:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you can. If you’re not up to splicing up your factory harness, www.fasttrackperformance.com sells an interface harness that retains the stock computer like you’re talking about.

------------------
N/A 406, TPIS Miniram, 58mm TB, 30lbs injectors, Custom Ground Elgin Cam, Ported TFS heads, SLP 1-3/4", & DFI computer.
11.70@117mph
Old 04-16-2001, 04:12 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am/WS6
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
FAST LiFE,
Thanks for the link. You can see from my sig. why I would think twice before cutting the factory harness . . .
Old 04-16-2001, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greg '85 T/A:
Sorry, not a PROM question but figured this forum was my best bet -
I was wondering if a TPS or MAT could be wired to an Accel DFI unit AND the factory ECM at the same time. That way, the factory ECM could be retained for EGR, Purge Cannister, A.I.R., etc., for anyone wanting to install DFI and remain emissions-legal. Otherwise, I've been thinking about developing a BASIC Stamp or using a Z-World (if you know what that is)to control all the emissions stuff Accel doesn't.
p.s. I contacted Accel on this and they were rather coy (wanted me to contact an approved DFI installation center). They led me to believe, however, that it was possible.
</font>
You'd have to check the impedance of the DFI, very closely. The GM stuff switches pull up resistances on some ecms at different temps for better resolution. So you might get some nonesense readings, I tried running a 747, and 730 (on an ecm bench), and can speach from actually experience that you possibly can run into problems. IF the DFI is real high impedance then no problem.