DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Speed Density and O2 Sensor Compensation Ability

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Density and O2 Sensor Compensation Ability

I have an 89 Camaro and I'm getting ready to install new Vortec heads and a Vortec intake. For monetary reasons, I don't have the money for a new cam, or the equipment to burn my own chip. I was wondering how well the O2 sensor will compensate for the increase in air flow coming into the engine. Obviously, the O2 sensor will be reporting a lean condition to the computer, but how adjustable is the system? Obviously if it was infinetaly adjustable and the O2 could almost reprogram the fuel tables etc, then a custom chip would never be necessary.

Will the stock chip, or a JET Stage II chip that I have also be able to deal with these changes? If not, would raising the fuel pressure or adding bigger injectors help compensate. I have a theory that if O2 sensor can only offer limited adjustability, then the fuel pressure could be raised, or bigger injectors added so that the correction needed to be made by the O2 sensor would be with-in it's means.

Any help that can be offered on this topic is greatly appreciated.

I already have headers and a cat-back, and the Vortec heads and intake should be coming within two weeks.

Jason
Old 05-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 89BlwnRs:
I have an 89 Camaro and I'm getting ready to install new Vortec heads and a Vortec intake. For monetary reasons, I don't have the money for a new cam, or the equipment to burn my own chip. I was wondering how well the O2 sensor will compensate for the increase in air flow coming into the engine. Obviously, the O2 sensor will be reporting a lean condition to the computer, but how adjustable is the system? Obviously if it was infinetaly adjustable and the O2 could almost reprogram the fuel tables etc, then a custom chip would never be necessary.

Will the stock chip, or a JET Stage II chip that I have also be able to deal with these changes? If not, would raising the fuel pressure or adding bigger injectors help compensate. I have a theory that if O2 sensor can only offer limited adjustability, then the fuel pressure could be raised, or bigger injectors added so that the correction needed to be made by the O2 sensor would be with-in it's means.

Any help that can be offered on this topic is greatly appreciated.

I already have headers and a cat-back, and the Vortec heads and intake should be coming within two weeks.

Jason
</font>
Your in serious trouble.
While the fuel might be fudgibly close, I'd venture a guess that the timing will be ridiculously off. All the newer stuff I know of are using small combustion chambers, and fast burn designs, both of which run best at 26-28 degrees rather then the Normal of 32-36.

My best advise is hold off on installing the heads, and get the prom burning stuff. The try some experimenting with your stock set up.

The prom stuff will be the best money you ever spent