DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

haltech ecm ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haltech ecm ???

there is a guy selling a halltech computer for custom programming of ecm....has anyone over here had any experience with these setups....i am wondering how versatile they are....can i adjust fan turn on/off.....speedo recal.....things like that.....thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2001, 07:37 PM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: In pieces
Transmission: Built 4L60
Haltec is a great stand aalone unit. I have used this setup to run a 600 cc motorcycle engine up to 15k. It has all the out puts that you need to run an engine and a full set of guages (at least mine did) I don't think it included to Speedo though. You'd have to get another sender for that. We didn't look into that though because it was an SCCA race car and didn't need it. But it is a reall good unit.

-Lars
Old 06-29-2001, 08:51 PM

The E6GM haltech is not a patch on the Delco , I would relate it to a really cut down version - great for the track but has no where near the drivability of the OEM stuff.
But I must admit it is easier to program than the Delco cause you can do it live (We also have a program down here that lets us run a 165 ecu live using a map sensor which with the way the US dollar is compared to the Aussie is real cheap)
Daniel
Old 06-29-2001, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tohigh4you:
there is a guy selling a halltech computer for custom programming of ecm....has anyone over here had any experience with these setups....i am wondering how versatile they are....can i adjust fan turn on/off.....speedo recal.....things like that.....thanks in advance!</font>
Some are antiques,
if one of the current ones not too bad, but nothing like an oem. And if it fails getting a spare on Saturday is difficult.

Old 06-30-2001, 01:38 AM

what i am trying to figure out is...would it be better to purchase this computer and program it as opposed to having custom chip burned from someone like Superchips...

i will soon be stabbing a 355 roller motor with around 10lbs of boost and will need custom programming....

i presently have a superchips eeprom that was custom burned for my stocker with 7lbs of boost which i was very happy with because it let me run 12.7 on street tires.....

i just dont want to purchase this computer and it be a pain.....from the responses im getting,it seems like it may not be a very good setup....

i guess a little more info might help....

ive got a 1991 formula 350 and will continue to run tpi...the car sees about 50/50 street and track time....so if haltech will not be a street friendly setup then i dont want to go that route....

thanks!
please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions about my setup or what have you....
Old 06-30-2001, 03:35 AM

Dont get wrong the haltech will work just not as good as the factory OEM system , but if you were to get someone else to tune it then you would have a one attempt tune and I dont know anyone that can get it right with one tuning session let alone doing it without seeing the car.
So either learn how to do it youself or at least learn how to program the Haltech that way you will most probably get it better than the "pro's" due to the time you have invested in it.
If on the other hand you cant be bothered investing the time then go with the OEM and get someone to set it up properly on the dyno.
Daniel
Downunder
Old 06-30-2001, 07:39 AM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tohigh4you:
what i am trying to figure out is...would it be better to purchase this computer and program it as opposed to having custom chip burned from someone like Superchips...</font>
Since this is the DIY prom board, everyone is going to recommend that you buy a GM ECM and burn your own prom.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i will soon be stabbing a 355 roller motor with around 10lbs of boost and will need custom programming....</font>
GO with a 749 ECM. It will do what you want.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i presently have a superchips eeprom that was custom burned for my stocker with 7lbs of boost which i was very happy with because it let me run 12.7 on street tires.....</font>
Imagine what it could have *let* you run had you tuned it. Unless you are directly tuning from data, you are just guessing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i just dont want to purchase this computer and it be a pain.....from the responses im getting,it seems like it may not be a very good setup....</font>
Again, this is the DIY prom board. The factory ECM is more available and the prom can be more fine tuned.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i guess a little more info might help....

ive got a 1991 formula 350 and will continue to run tpi...the car sees about 50/50 street and track time....so if haltech will not be a street friendly setup then i dont want to go that route....
</font>
You want to go with a 749. If you are serious enough to want to switch to aftermarket stuff than you shouldn't have a problem switching to a better GM ECM. I believe all you have to do as far as wiring to go from a 730 to 749 is swap a pin on the connectors. Not sure on that. The money you'll spend on equipment for burning a prom and getting an ECM will equal that for the Haltech but you'll have a more reliable and driveable car. Search the archives and all the links in the prom burning intro. You'll find all the answers to your questions.