DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!

I have a ZZ-4 TPI engine in a Jag. We a prom thatwill start the engine but the SES light stays on. I pulled the codes(?) but there weren't any. When I hook up the jumper wire and turn on the key the light continues to just stay on. No flashing 12 or anything. Also, the fans come on as soon as I turn the key on. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2001, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TPIJag:
I have a ZZ-4 TPI engine in a Jag. We a prom thatwill start the engine but the SES light stays on. I pulled the codes(?) but there weren't any. When I hook up the jumper wire and turn on the key the light continues to just stay on. No flashing 12 or anything. Also, the fans come on as soon as I turn the key on. Any ideas?</font>
No 12s is a very bad sign, ie dead ecm.
you need to go thru wire by wire and look for something shorted to ground that is driven by the ecm. Or something that the ecm grounds, that is shorted.
Also, check to see that the memcal is correctly seated.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:19 PM

I was holding this back. When I plug in a Hypertech chip for a 305 I don't get any codes and the 12 comes back when junmpered but the car runs like CRAP.

Would the car start and run if something was really wrong with the ecm or the prom?
Old 07-03-2001, 12:30 AM

Car: Camaro IROC-Z '89
Engine: 350 TPI /w Procharger P1SC
Transmission: TH700R4 with Transgo shiftkit
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TPIJag:
I was holding this back. When I plug in a Hypertech chip for a 305 I don't get any codes and the 12 comes back when junmpered but the car runs like CRAP.

Would the car start and run if something was really wrong with the ecm or the prom?
</font>
If you get the 12 "No-Fault" code back with the Hypertech chip, then I suppose the ECM should be allright. What chip did you have in it when it didn't want to play at all?

Sounds to me that you'd need to start with a stock 350 chip without VATS, and thenwork your way from there on....

------------------
ZaphodB a.k.a Carl Andersson - zaphodb@faxancruisers.org
'89 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7L TPI - Mods under construction :-)
Custom ARAP Chip Under Development/180 t-stat, Edelbrock TES Headers,
SLP Airfoil, K&N Filters, Accel 8mm wires, Relocated MAT, AFPR @ 45 PSI
Old 07-03-2001, 09:52 AM

It always runs but does weird stuff like the SES light and the fans. I believe that the bin came from one of the free boards, something like 90350cam.bin. I am going to try another file, but I have never done this before.

Old 07-03-2001, 10:36 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
First, is this an SD or a MAF setup? Second, what are you programming onto and how are you doing it (UV eraser with 27C or PP with a AT29C256).

I noticed on my car, that if I did not QUITE erase long enough when I was using a 27C256, that I would through an SES code after about 15 minutes of operation. Everything looked fine and the prom read perfectly (and compared to the BIN). Increasing the erasing time by a few mintues fixed that.

If it is an AT29C256, I found that if I didn't pre-initialize the AT29C256 with Hex FFs, and then burn my BIN on it, that I through an SES code. This seems to be a querk of FILEPROM Version 3.55.

It may be a simpler problem than you think.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:47 AM

This is a SD setup. I will have to ask the guy who actually programmed it to find out exactly what it is and how he erased it. I know that he worked with the entire memcal (did not remove the chip) and it took about 15 minutes to erase. I will also ask him about initializing. I need to buy my own stuff, I know, but I need to get it running so my wife does not freak out!
Old 07-03-2001, 10:23 PM

Reburned the prom today using Mike Davis's bin file. Now, I get a 51 code. Where can I pick up another Memcal to start over?
Old 07-04-2001, 10:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Memcal or BIN? To get a Memcal, go to you local GM dealer and request AUJP1615...that is the latest replacement Memcal for SD L98s for F-bodies.

If you need the BIN, try www.diy-efi.org and check the downloads for the AUJP. The AUJP1350 (which I know use to be there) is identical to the AUJP1615, except for the "Date/Time" stamp.

If you want a copy of AUJP1615, send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy.