DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

What a bummer. Got BLM to 128, now MAP code

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a bummer. Got BLM to 128, now MAP code

Little background. Basic 355 w/ 214/224 cam 112 lsa and 9.2:1 comp (Iron heads). Running a 730 setup. Due to the cam swap, I used P730 (excellent btw) to get my lower BLM's up from 108 to 118-120.

That was chip 'x'. All I did was change the VE tables again and burned a new bin to get closer to 128. That chip nailed 128 right away but my IAC started going over 100 where it was previously at 10-16. Of course that set a high MAP code (around 75 kPa at idle ) and was able to verify low vacuum with a gage.

IAC counts have remained untouched for the most part, other than raising the idle to 750 RPM which was done a long time ago. Outside temp has remained the same. Only other change I noticed was that now that my BLM's are pretty close, my idle at the same temp in Park has dropped about 100 RPM.

Just reburned the previous bin which worked great but had BLM's at 118-122. IAC remained low and no codes set. I am lost. Any pushes in the right direction? Thanks, -Matt-
Old 07-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HighHopes85:
Little background. Basic 355 w/ 214/224 cam 112 lsa and 9.2:1 comp (Iron heads). Running a 730 setup. Due to the cam swap, I used P730 (excellent btw) to get my lower BLM's up from 108 to 118-120.

That was chip 'x'. All I did was change the VE tables again and burned a new bin to get closer to 128. That chip nailed 128 right away but my IAC started going over 100 where it was previously at 10-16. Of course that set a high MAP code (around 75 kPa at idle ) and was able to verify low vacuum with a gage.

IAC counts have remained untouched for the most part, other than raising the idle to 750 RPM which was done a long time ago. Outside temp has remained the same. Only other change I noticed was that now that my BLM's are pretty close, my idle at the same temp in Park has dropped about 100 RPM.

Just reburned the previous bin which worked great but had BLM's at 118-122. IAC remained low and no codes set. I am lost. Any pushes in the right direction? Thanks, -Matt-
</font>
Have you reset your min idle opening since the cam swap?.
Are the IAC passageways relatively clean?.

If the above is set right, then sounds like you've tripped the antistall stuff in the ecm. You need to be sure you've remapped the idle area in the right spot in relation to the K/Pa your running at idle.

Don't be surprised if you have to move the idle timing a signifigant amount.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:27 PM

Grumpy, thanks for the pointer on needing to possibly change the spark at idle as I have been messing with my VE but have neglected the retard/advance.

Now the good news. I reburned the exact same bin except I moved the fan enable temp up 1 degree. Now, I know this had nothing to do with it, but when I put the memcal back in, she ran like a champ at part throttle.

I believe it *could* be a glitch in the pocket programmer but I am not bashing it in any way. All I know is that sometimes I will verify a fresh burn to the buffer and all is well. Then when I put the chip in the car, it gives me a Memcal code error. Erase it again, reprogram it with the same bin, and all is fine. (I make sure it is firmly in the socket in the car's 'puter).

I guess from now on I will not only verify to buffer but save the freshly prog'd chip to buffer and then do a compare in TC. I had myself really worried for a couple hours! Thanks again, -Matt-
Old 07-08-2001, 04:44 PM

Hey Matt, sounds like it's running again.

FWIW when I put the SR on, my VE was rich everywhere, idle was for crap. I started by cutting fuel and adding a bunch of spark in the idle area, just so I could get it out on the road to test. I used idle values as high as 25 deg total advance for mine, and set the idle steps up toward 50. YMMV.

Once that was done I was able to bring the rest of the VE tables back in line, and found that once the VE tables were in reasonable shape, I could cut the idle spark back some.

Note that on mine I started to do an idle air reset halfway thru the VE tuning process, and it threw off some of my previous VE work. Beware, or at least ready to repeat some work.

FYI, now that my fuel is right I'm trying to optimize spark tables. They provide endless hours of fun. HTH

DrJ

[This message has been edited by Doctor J (edited July 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Doctor J (edited July 09, 2001).]
Old 07-08-2001, 07:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Are you using an Eprom of an AT29C256 Flash Prom?

I found that if I did not quite erase long enough on an eprom (27C256), that I would trigger an SES code. Adding a couple more minutes to the erasing time cured this.

With the AT29C256 and using FILEPROM V3.55, I found putting Hex FFs first then the BIN made the AT29C256 work better with FILEPROM. Without the Hex FFs, I would trigger SES codes and my car ran like crap. This appears to be only with FILEPROM V3.55 from what I have seen though.

The Windows Version works fine...if it will work on your computer. I found the Windows Version works great on my newer computers, but not my older computer.

Nothing is perfect.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:38 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:

Nothing is perfect.
</font>
Ain't that the truth!

It could very well be that my EPROM is approaching its life expectancy. Right now, I am still using the original Memcal/EPROM combo (cause I did my FlashProm install on a 6 cyl. Memcal by accident--ARGH!). I don't expect the factory EPROM to live forever but it got me through my weekend of tuning. So here is a quick update on my success...

Lower VE's are getting so close to 128 BLM that I am in awe how that table works. I guess right now I am just getting a feel for the lower tables and probably won't spend much time on the upper tables right now since I really haven't laid into her and gotten her over 1500 rpm yet. Reason I won't spend time on my upper tables is because I haven't ported my plenum or p'ted/p'ished the heads yet which is my next step and all my upper work (and lower work too) is going to go kaput.

This board is really a wealth of knowledge and just wanted to say thanks for those who share. In 2 years I hopefully will be in a position to offer helpful insight -Matt-