DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.
View Poll Results: Allow posts to help custom eprom writers tune cars on DIY Prom?
YES
35.56%
NO
64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

grim reaper

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: grim reaper

3.8transam...who are you to say who gets and who doesn't get help???....as far as i remember this is a car site...for car guys , for people that love the hobby...i for one am one of those people...i have owned 5 thirdgens and have ALWAYS contributed to this site in other forums...if i wasn't interested in learning stuff i would have not have gotten myself a laptop, tuning software and found a person to help me learn more in person

i for one bought this car for the sole reason to learn more about the tpi cars...i can carb the car within 2 hours and having it running damn near perfect and you know its very easy, but this car is sort of a dry run for my 1984 z28 that getting a efi 6 liter down the road...i wanna learn about tuning...if i didn't read the stickies how did i seem to find that the old hyperjunk chip in my car could be used for running an emulator on the ecm????????????....some of us are not going to pick everything up that goes with this new stuff to us so we are going to ask questions
Old 04-22-2007, 08:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: grim reaper

Well, the votes have it and DIY Prom remains strictly for Do-It-Yourself'ers.

The one thing a lot of 'newer' members don't realize about DIY Prom, DIY Prom was created by a small group of enthusiasts that were sick and tired of being ripped off by the eprom tuners who usually did very little to actually modify the tune. It was DIY Prom that discovered how little was done in those "off-the-shelf" eproms as well as some of the actual eprom tuners themselves.

Without DIY Prom, these eprom tuners would have been able to keep their "craft" a "black art" and continue to hide & confuse the code to cover up how little they really did - often no more than an "off-the-shelf" eprom. Not ALL eprom tuners did this, but a fair number of them did a few years back.

Initially DIY Prom was a "hiddened board" on TGO and any request to become a member of DIY Prom was "strictly reviewed". DIY Prom has always been about enthusiasts "Doing-It-Yourself" and sharing the information they discovered. DIY Prom was only opened up to the general members of TGO later. And only with the agreement of the restrictions we have on DIY Prom because we still want DIY Prom to remain strictly "for members who want to DO IT YOURSELF". It is my belief that it is these minor restrictions that keep the high quality of members on DIY Prom that we enjoy.

And, this "business model" can't be too bad as we have members joining DIY Prom with virtually every configuration of a Chevy engine using GM OBD I ECMs imaginable coming to DIY Prom due to the members & knowledge that this board has available.

I should make one thing clear, eprom tuners are NOT prohibited from joining and sharing information on DIY Prom. That was never the intent of this poll. I know a few that frequent here all the time and they are active members of both DIY Prom and TGO as a whole. The only restriction is they cannot openly solicit eprom tuning business on the DIY Prom Board.

What we don't appreciate on DIY Prom, is the eprom tuner that get's stumped with a problem, comes to DIY Prom seeking assistance and then buzzes off without a "peep" from them until the next time he has a problem. DIY Prom was never created to be their "reference source".

As for Black84Z28, since you claim you want to learn about eprom tuning, have bought the equipment (though strictly to monitor - not to actually tune) and your "tuner" is there strictly to help you - go ahead and post your question on DIY Prom if you wish. Your eprom tuner is invited as well - as he may be better able to clarify the question.

PS: Poll & thread closed.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 04-22-2007 at 09:02 AM.