DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL-Is this normal to subtract -30 offset to VE# Table?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: K1500
Engine: 7.4L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10:1
EBL-Is this normal to subtract -30 offset to VE# Table?

I just started tuning my new 7.4L using EBL-FLASHER. The only modification to this is engine is a RV Cam, everything else is stock. The TBI has the standard 7.4L injectors (90lb/Hr). I haven’t measured the fuel pressure so I’m using standard 13 PSI for my calculation for the (BPC-BPC vs VAC Table) which was set to 122 @ 0 VAC. I have made three trips to work (one way 25 miles) and been maxing out the BLM to 108, very rich. So I have been slowly adjusting (-5 offset at a time) the offset to both Low/High VE tables. I’m getting closer to the magic number of BLM 128 but I’m about -30 offset to both tables. I’m I doing something wrong or should I start looking at making adjustment to the (BPC-BPC vs VAC Table?
Thanks for the help!
Byron (Tucson AZ)
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: EBL-Is this normal to subtract -30 offset to VE# Table?

I'm assuming you started out with the as supplied EBL VE tables- one thing to keep in mind is that they were derived from a pretty different engine than yours, I believe a 305, and thus will ultimately probably be pretty different on your 7.4.

Since your motor is only slightly modified, it would be best if you moved as much as you can of your original chip settings into the EBL bin settings. Definitely your BPC settings should come from there.

If you don't have a chip burner/reader, if you look at the four letter code on your original chip you may be able to download that stock .bin file from moates.net or some of the other online TBI resources, or if you ask here someone may be able to send it to you. If you don't have a chip reader I'm sure someone could do it for you if you send them the chip, if you're really stuck send it to me and I'll read it for you and send it back.

Then you can read your original chip into TunerPro (or TunerCat) and use those settings to initialize the settings in your EBL bin. If you look in the large "EBL" thread in this forum you'll see some posts of me getting help from RBob to do that with my EBL .bin . I moved in my basic VE table settings along with a lot of the various constants and eventually will be moving in my original EGR settings when I get the engine running well without it. I also redid the SA curves to curves that I found in the forums that other tuners had found to work well with my engine.

But I'm new to this so RBob may say I'm all wet with the above, so take his word over mine.

Paul T.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 218 Likes on 204 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by bataradena
. . .for the (BPC-BPC vs VAC Table) which was set to 122 @ 0 VAC. . . .
Just to be sure, the BPC - BPC vs VAC table, all entries (from 0 - 80 vac) need to be set to 122. The ECM is always using the BPC from that table based on manifold vacuum. So as the vacuum changes so does the table lookup.

RBob.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

I do have the tools to read my old bin files but the two ECU Configuration file are so completed different in many ways. For example, the EBL.bin/config file has sooo... many more parameters then my old old configbin file had. It would be hard for me to know what to transfers from my old bin data file to the EBL.bin file. For example: the VE# table are Much Bigger or have many more data points parameter in EBL.bin then in my old bin file, which is great!. I wouldn't know were to start. Also, is BPW and BPC the same thing? I found BPW in my old bin file but I believe EBL uses a BPC table instead of BPW constant. I'm I correct about this?
Thanks
Byron T

I just read RBob response. (Don't know how to do Quote)
Just to be sure, the BPC - BPC vs VAC table, all entries (from 0 - 80 vac) need to be set to 122. The ECM is always using the BPC from that table based on manifold vacuum. So as the vacuum changes so does the table lookup.

Oooopps...
No, I didn't make the table (BPC - BPC vs VAC) all the same value. I copied the numbers calcuated from the Excel spread sheet provided from EBL. There were two table listed to modify but I cant remember the name of the other table. RBob I need your help here. Should I left the the other table not modified?
Byron

Last edited by bataradena; 01-09-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 218 Likes on 204 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

When using a standard FPR these two tables should be set to the same value. They are:

BPC - BPC vs VAC
BST - BPC vs Boost

They use the same value through out as the FPR is open to the atmosphere. IOW, it is not vacuum referenced. When a VRFPR is used the values will be different for each entry.

There is another BPC table for barometric compensation. For the most part this table should be left with the original values as supplied. It is this one:

BPC - BPC vs BARO

That table calibrates the change to exhaust back pressure due to a change in barometric pressure (elevation change).

It also sounds like you are making changes to the VE table manually. Have you tried the auto VE Learn? If not try it out, then if needed can do some manual tweaking later. You will probably find that manual tweaks are not required.

RBob.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM

RBob,
I was using the VE Learn Function but I noticed I was always removing -10 from the VE table. Did this about three times. So I started over fresh with EBL bin file and made about six bin files that had an offset of -10,-15,-20,-25 and -30 made to the VE tables. My method to my madness was, I was trying to see if I could get the VE Table closer in range so the VE-Learn would be more productive during my drive to work. The reasons for starting this thread, I thought I was, or did, something wrong, which I did. From your you replies I have updated the bin file and I'll be giving it another trying on my way home tonight. I'll have VE Learn on! I'll let you know how see runs tomorrow with the updated bin file.
Thanks again
Byron
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM

Update....

One word, WOW.... Two data trips with two updates from VE Learn tool and everything is working GREAT!
Byron T.