DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

MAF to MAP questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
MAF to MAP questions

I picked up an ECM today at the boneyard, as well as the wiring pigtails for it. It's a 16198262 model, GM reman unit. I pulled it from a 91 or 92 3.1L camaro. Just as a sanity check, this ECM is the same as a '730, right?

I'm considering converting my car to speed-density, since I'm on my third '165, and getting intermittent code 33. I've been looking over this tech article:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

Instead of making an adapter harness though, I'd rather just re-pin the ECM connectors. I already removed the wires from the '730 plugs, and in the process I got pretty quick at removing the pins. I do still have a couple questions though, hopefully someone here can help.

In the article, the guy did the conversion on an 85 camaro, which has a cable-driven speedo. My car (88 GTA) has an electronic speedo, and a buffer box. Will I still need the buffer box with the new ECM? Will it need to be wired any differently?

I know I would need a different knock sensor, but is the plug the same?

Lastly, what did you guys do with the remaining unused wires and relays, for stuff like the MAF power, MAF burnoff, and ESC?

Edit: After looking at the wiring diagram for the '730, it looks like it has both a 2000PPM and 4000PPM output. Does this mean I can eliminate the buffer box from my car?

Last edited by Ward; 11-01-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 AM
???

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: MAF to MAP questions

yeah, the 730 will take the place of your buffer, you would have to wire you vss straight to the ecm, then the 4000 to your dash and 2000 to your cruise.

I think it would be easier to leave your buffer wired as is, and in the bin switch to the optical input and use the pin to match that input. that was you don't have to rewire a bunch of stuff. just move the one wire at the ecm.

I haven't done this swap, but a lot here seem to have done it. their may be a repin chart around here too, maybe check the sticky above.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking for the VSS. I'd probably go ahead and repin it to eliminate the buffer box, doesn't seem like it would be that much more work. That tech article I posted a link to has a text file, which tells which pins move to where, so I think I could do that fairly easily. The only other thing I'm unsure of is if it will work with my digital dash, specifically the odometer. I don't think it would need it's own VSS input, but it is on a separate circuit board than the speedo -- so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I haven't been able to find any wiring diagrams for the digital cluster, so I would be winging it.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
???

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

if your worried about your dash, I would try using the optical input and leaving your buffer as it. off the top of my head I believe the optical input pin is C6 on the 730 ecm. just move your vss input pin to that pin and uncheck the mag input box in your 8d bin and it should be done.

be easier than rewiring the whole buffer box wires into the ecm and hopeing the digital dash works. oh and for a starter bin, I'd say check out the S_AUJP project. its nice, has a very complete xdf and a wideband input already setup to log