DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

VE & Spark Tables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Engine: 388 HSR custom Cam see sig
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: D44 3:45
VE & Spark Tables?

Do these tables look ok to you guys for my starting point?
Thank you

Name:  hiVE.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  115.2 KB
Name:  mainspark.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  111.3 KB
Name:  LowVE.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  118.6 KB
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 369 Likes on 298 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: VE & Spark Tables?

Does your bin add timing in PE mode? If so whats the extra advance added in? 26 deg at WOT is way low if there is no extra advance run in. Also try bringing total advance in sooner. Like say 3200-3600 rpms. Should boost torque there
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Name:  SAPERPM.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  84.7 KB
Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

It looks like it will add almost 4 degrees to your entire table when in PE mode.

That would make your WOT timing about 30 degrees. You may want to try adding 4 degrees up there in your table to make it a total of 34 deg. May pick up power as most sbc's run best with 32-38 deg timing. Better the head, less timing you need generally. 34 is a good happy medium.

I'd suggest adding 3 degrees to the values in column 100 which is 100KPA (in your main spark table)for rpm 2200, add 5 for 2400. Then add 7 degrees to the value 2800 and 8 deg for 3200. Then make all the values from 3600 to 4800 30 deg. That big boost in timing in the 2800-3600 range should REALLY be felt. May want to run premium fuel as its a fairly aggressive advance curve. Suggest starting out with about half the suggested increase and watch air fuel. Dial in near 12.7 to 1 or so and it should be a strong setup. Add advance unless the computer is pulling timing.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM

I can't believe I actually understand what you told me. So the 100 can represent hold down the throttle all the way? And the same with 50, half way?

So after my changes it would look like this? I'm not saving it just yet just getting a feel for it
Name:  sa1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  115.3 KB

Can I also interpret my VE tables the same way? Would more than .50 mean richer and vice versa mean leaner? The only other thing I'm looking for is a standard of a percentage used when adjusting the tables.
I appreciate your patience with me and your help...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

The top line in the spark and VE tables with values from 20 to 100 is KPA ,which is manifold pressure. Its not % of throttle.

100KPA is about 1 atmosphere of pressure which means your intake plenum is seeing the same pressure as atmosphere outside the car. This only can happen when the throttle body is 100% open. Thats your WOT.

Values less than 100 mean vacuum. Engines will idle at a certain vacuum level and on deceleration sometimes achieve greater vacuum than idle.
Stock engine will idle in the 35-40KPA range I believe. Somewhere down that load. Mild cams/heads setups may see 40-55 KPA.

Your part throttle stuff will be anywhere from 55 to 95 kpa. Thats light open throttle to ALMOST 100% throttle.

VE tables, the more VE you put in the cell, the more FUEL you will get. As far as what increase = what value change of air fuel, that has to be determined by trial and error I guess. Usually an increase in 1 is a decent change for a larger injector but not as much for a smaller injector.

The timing table looks ok now. Just also copy those same changes to the column of 95. Alot of the times the engine doesnt see exactly 100kpa but 93-98 sometimes depending on if there is a restriction at the throttle body which there usually is unless its a huge TB and a super high flow filter.

Be careful with it tho, may want to cut the suggested values I told you down by 2 degrees or so just to see if the car likes it at first. Watch your air fuel ratio and only add timing if the air fuel is looking good.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM

I think I'm getting it, your explanation I'm understanding. I think my biggest problem has been I read into it to much and expect to understand every little number.

I can see why its tough for anyone to say whether a person VE table looks ok or not. Without nowing the A/F in the end it does make it tough to say... "yep the VE table looks good"

I went back to my earlier datalog (when my WB was reading 15-18) , Kpa at idle is 35-50 so your right. My 20 and 30 tables I don't even need to be concerned with.

What I need to do now since my my A/F is a bit better is do a VE learn and datalog again. If I pay attention to my MAP vs RPM vs A/F in the datalog that should help me see where I need to richen it up in the VE table and vice versa.

I'll worry about how the CTS effects this later.

But you have gave me a excellent explanation of what to look for. Maybe now since I've become a bit more comfortable with changing a table I will go ahead an begin trying to tune this myself.

Think I owe you a couple of beers!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 216 Likes on 202 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Ed, when you change the SA table for more SA, also do the Extended SA table. That one covers from 4800 RPM through 6400 RPM. You can also blend the added SA into the 80 through 95 KPa columns. At WOT it is common for the MAP to drop off into those areas.

That and it is best to have it blended for a smooth transition from say 70 KPa to 100 KPa.

A note on the PE table vs Gear. With an auto only the gear zero row is used. The others are used for stick cars when the N/V ratio option is enabled.

So be sure to add the PE SA in the gear zero row. It won't hurt to have the other rows filled in, they just won't be used in an auto.

RBob.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Think I owe you a couple of beers!

Good luck with the tuning. Its easy to get caught up in understanding every little number and thinkin to hard into it. Just relate your variables from your datalogs and get the air fuel ratio you need. Watch your rpm, MAP, timing, VE and air fuel. Use VE and timing to get the air fuel you need. Motor will run strong
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Ed, when you change the SA table for more SA, also do the Extended SA table. That one covers from 4800 RPM through 6400 RPM. You can also blend the added SA into the 80 through 95 KPa columns. At WOT it is common for the MAP to drop off into those areas.

That and it is best to have it blended for a smooth transition from say 70 KPa to 100 KPa.
Ok, I can understand that. So in order to blend I can just highlight my rows i want then in the toolbox I can select smooth? This is an example of what I think you mean below. I'm not saving it.

Name:  VE1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  104.3 KB

Originally Posted by RBob
A note on the PE table vs Gear. With an auto only the gear zero row is used. The others are used for stick cars when the N/V ratio option is enabled.

So be sure to add the PE SA in the gear zero row. It won't hurt to have the other rows filled in, they just won't be used in an auto.

RBob.
Then my table below would look like this?
Name:  sa2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

You can use the smooth tool. Really just need to extend your 100KPA column to 85 and at 80-75 use the same column + a degree or 2. Something like that should be ok
Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

Originally Posted by slrvette
I'll worry about how the CTS effects this later
How do you guys handle this? CTS can make the whole thing of VE learns, etc pretty really tough imho.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Then my table below would look like this?
Yes, that is correct.

Originally Posted by ownor
How do you guys handle this? CTS can make the whole thing of VE learns, etc pretty really tough imho.
For the VE Learn set the CTS window in the normal area of engine temperature range. This way the learn will only take place when the engine is in the range of it's normal operation.

Then to adjust the cold engine open loop tweak the open loop AFR vs CTS table. Don't worry so much about the commanded AFR, but more about how the engine runs. Can also mix in some tweaks in the open loop AFR vs VAC & RPM.

RBob.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Yep I'm back guys!... Did some VE learns today. I'm starting to understand what I am looking at in the datalogs. Not everything but some.
Right now all I'm concerned with is MAP vs TPS vs INT vs BLM vs WB02
Everything else will have to wait. So here's a screen shot of the datalog.
Name:  da2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  125.2 KB
Name:  da1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  117.9 KB

What I'm see isn't consistant. Do you agree? Why would when I accelerate just a little my WBO2 read a 17 or so? Or am I just looking to far into this at this point and haven't taken into consideration the fact of cold air coming in?
thanks guys

one thing I wanted to add as well is that I'm getting a lot more spark knock than what I used to. When I did do my conversion I had changed out the knock sensor to a 90 GM van sensor.
Figure I'll throw these in as well.
Name:  sc1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  66.8 KB
Name:  sc2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  68.0 KB

After reviewing my last .bin used with my TBI setup I noticed the SA main table is much different than what I have posted here. I'm thinking I may copy and paste my old SA tables into this current .bin I'm using for the HSR setup. Its not as agressive but without knowing about more details about what I think is a knock issue i'd prefer to play it safe.

Last edited by slrvette; 03-17-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added sc tables
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

I will look through those datalogs again i just briefly browsed through them. It seems your low 20-40 kpa areas are just too lean and not recieving enough fuel through the rpm range you started out in. TPS is barely cracked on that first chart but it drastically richens up once you start getting into the mid rpm range and higher KPA map values.

I would add more VE to the 20-40 range in those rpms and take out some VE in the 50-70kpa range at the mid to higher rpms. Your in the 13's to 1 air fuel and some points richer with light TPS%. Want to lean that out to 14.5 or so as a starting point.

Whats odd tho is that the blm/int shows near 128/128 at those low maps and wideband shows near 19-20! BLM's show lean when wideband shows abit richer. Not sure whats going on there.

The other table with rpms in the 1300-1600 range and 45-50 ish KPA map shows much better 15 to 1 air fuel with fluctuations to 17. Not uncommon to see some fluctuation just need to smooth timing table out and the ve table out. Its probably iterating between cells at some point there and causing rich/lean mini spikes.

Spark table I'd run something similar to stock L98 table. You can zero out PE mode spark advance and just put those numbers back into the main table for ease of tuning.

Knock may just be coming from the lean condition and too much timing. Richen it up first to see if it goes away. If it doesnt, then you can do 1 of 2 things. Confirm that the knock sensor is the correct one for the ecm. There are different part numbers out there and could change the way the ecm responds to the sensor. Take out some timing after checking to make sure its not a false knock condition.

Last edited by Orr89RocZ; 03-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
TGO Supporter

17/1 I will see on my WB if I accellerate. seems the AE will then follow and bring the A/F back in line. I did add 20% more "throttle follower" AE to help prevent that. Conversely if I cruise with steady A/F and then let off gas same effect as the increased VAC-Lower MAP will shear off the wetness on walls of intake runners. Soon the A/F is stable again. I understand you should watch your INT movement following an AE event. That may tell you if your AE tables are either too little or too great. That looks good as is your BLM.

Are you running 87 octane? My SA tables are purposefull set up conservatively to allow that octane. If you pull a couple degrees globally in tables and then run 93 octane maybe the KC will drop. That may tell you if SA is too aggressive. If they dont it may be mechanical noise the sensor is hearing.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM

This last datalog was done using 93 octane gas.
Little history. The knock sensor I'm using is just what BobR recommended. 1990 GM van, 5.7 ltr. It was pruhased new. Is there some resisitivity range it should be in so I can verify operation and that its correct?

When the car is cold my wb02 reads 12-15. Once I go Closed Loop my KS alarm in ebl just constinly alarms and my A/F is all over the place. So I"m not nuts thinking that something is going on.

Injectors were purchased from a CF member 28lb. Jon at FIC told me to use 25.7 in my BPC-Port worksheet since that is what they actually flowed. So my BPC is set up for 165. Fuel pressure is set for 43.5. Someone at one point did tell me I may have a tough time dialing those in.

So I've been looking at the Main SA table that I posted above and what bothers me is the 20-70kpa range and 800-2800 cells my timing is as high as 37. This is why I've been thinking of putting my Main SA table from my orginal TBI .bin, since its more conservative and try that. I can always adjust it later after once I straighten out the KC and VE. So I'm not far off from what you guys are thinking then?

I'll try that first then move to the VE tables. Couple of questions though.
Moving the number up would that be richer or leaner? And is there a calculation I should use or just going up or down by 1 in the cells adequate?

The next couple of days here are gonna be really nice so I should be able to fit in some tune time. I plan also to get some vac readings from the plenum and intake of the HSR to post as well.

Later today I'll also post up the SA table I'm talking about for you guys to verify with me.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM

The knock sensor should measure 100K ohms. Can disconnect the knock filter connector and check between pins C & D of the connector. That is the sensor input and the ground to the filter.

The installation torque for the knock sensor is 11 to 14 ft/lbs, which isn't much. Over tightening it will make it overly sensitive.

If the Dart SS heads are the iron eagle, your spark timing is on the aggressive side. Try the main & extended tables from the supplied EBL_F_PT.BIN calibration. These were developed on a moderate compression 305 with the '416 heads.

When looking at the knock retard table in the WUD, check the peak knock retard values. From those you can remove 1/2 the amount of retard from those and the surrounding areas.

But change the spark tables to the ones I mentioned above first. Then once the fueling is better you can start to work on the timing.

RBob.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

yep try those other spark table values and see what happens. Then go from there. Yes, the higher the VE number in the table, the more fuel you will see.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Quote: Moving the number up would that be richer or leaner? And is there a calculation I should use or just going up or down by 1 in the cells adequate?

If you are refering to VE tables? Richer or leaner? I say neither. Adding 1.0 globally to both VE tables will add more fuel but the NB feedback will adjust BLM downward and put you at stoich. Why not let VE Learn do that for you? I did make some global adjustments last fall when temps were cold(40F) but instead I used a multiplier like 1.02 as adding 1.0 would mess up table like in adding 1.0 to a 40 value cell is way different than adding 1.0 to 80 value cell.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

I didn't even consider the iron heads. Good call Bob! I'm changing the tables this AM so I will post those results and screenshots today.

Ron, I do have a couple of questions though for you. Many times I've seen you mention a target A/F goal. If your not adjusting your VE tables how are you reaching your goals? I do understand using the VE learn to help adjust but at some point in the tune I would think you have to go to those tables.

So you when you richen up your mulitpling by 1.02 and in turn when you lean a cell out you divide by 1.02?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not to familar with the EBL and whats all in there but your basic tables look like any other 8D/6E type setup. For my $59 setup I set my target air fuel table and work the VE's to achieve that target. Its all open loop so the ecm doesnt use the sensor to control fuel. I just look at my commanded air fuel and compare to actual and adjust VE accordingly. Works pretty good.

I'm sure the VE learns works on the similar principle. It needs a target air fuel to use sensor input to adjust fueling.

It does make sense that the sensor can make the ecm take out fuel so a change in ve may not be a change at all, but that is based on the target air fuel I believe. Even then I think there is only so much the computer will pull out. You still will need to adjust the VE tables for fueling.

It may be helpful to force open loop and tune that until its satisfactory and then change back to closed loop. That way closed loop doesnt have to do much to adjust the fueling. Dial in the target air fuel ratios and VE tables and closed loop should beable to handle anything else easily from there.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
TGO Supporter

I would probably multiply by .98 rather than divide by 1.02. I like multiply.

The A/F ratio is placed into .bin. It is a constant called "stochiometric air fuel" I believe. Stock EBL .bin had it set to 14.7. I set it to 14.3 for E10 fuel. I believe that was the thing to do. The ECU will then attempt to attain that 14.3/1 by 02 feedback. If the VE tables are not spot on it will then use INT and BLM to modify fuel delivered. Also as weather changes same process occurs and 14.3 (stoich) is address by BLM changes. As long as the BLM is within say 115-160. Outside of that it cannot attain the desired A/F. The VE tables I understand should be reasonably close so as to allow a speedy adjustment and allow the calc for other fueling to bre accurrate such as PE, AE, OL fuel, choke, etc. I hope this is accurrate! There is a sticky above that covers much of this.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Orr: I see the WB A/F in the datalogs. I believe he is just patching in that info. I believe he is using NB02 feedback for A/F correction not using WB to achieve fueling corrections.

Is that correct SLR?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM

I'm gonna have to go back and read your guys posts, just realize that you guys had posted.
So I threw in the new SA table. Open loop while the car warmed up never went past 13.5. But once I get CL its leaning out. Think my knock count is worse than before. These were taken closed loop, up to temp and while sitting. Raised the RPM up a couple of times but only to about 1700 RPM
Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  63.9 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ronny
Orr: I see the WB A/F in the datalogs. I believe he is just patching in that info. I believe he is using NB02 feedback for A/F correction not using WB to achieve fueling corrections.

Is that correct SLR?
My EBL is doing its VE learn through the WB. Its wired up to the ECM
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
TGO Supporter

Orr was refering to an alternative tuning method

Quote:For my $59 setup I set my target air fuel table and work the VE's to achieve that target. Its all open loop so the ecm doesnt use the sensor to control fuel. I just look at my commanded air fuel and compare to actual and adjust VE accordingly. Works pretty good.

With that CL is disabled. I believe the A/F is targeted in the OL-VAC-RPM tables. the same tables that we use during warmin up of coolant during a cold start. In that case VE tables will impact A/F directly as INT/BLM is not a factor.

I believe the value there may be with more radical cam(lower LSA).
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM

With the high knock counts I would pull a spark plug or two and look for signs of detonation. This would be little tiny pepper specks on the porcelain.

Although, they may have had this prior with the aggressive SA tables.

So get a couple of new spark plugs and pull two out. Put two new ones in. Then on the ones that were pulled check/photo (bright and in focus) for the pepper specks. If so then there was at some point detonation.

The new plugs once driven on will show whether detonation is continuing.

It just seems to me that the excessive knock counts are from false knock. The plugs will tell the tale as to whether this is true or not.

False knock can be from any number of things. A bad accessory bearing, exhaust pipe rattle, exhaust hitting on something, a loose bracket on the engine.

Although if true knock, there may be a timing tab to damper line up issue, or the distributor base timing and the calibration's initial timing don't match.

RBob.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM

I did put in all new plugs when I installed the HSR, but will pick up a couple of plugs since I'm at the parts store now. My base timing was set at 6 degrees BTDC when I set it a month ago.
Here's what I think I should do at this point.
Pull plugs, I'll get photos
Check baseline timing
Check fuel pressure again
Get vac readings from the plenum
Ohm out my Knock Sensor... I do have a feeling that I may have over tighten it.. Didn't realize at the time I only need to snug it up.
The injectors I have are the color blue.. does that mean anything? I'd like to double check myself to make certain they are 26lb/hr. Maybe by a number that could be stamped in them? Anyone have a link to where I can verify size?
Any other info you guys can think of I should get since I'm gonna put the car back up in the air?
Thanks guys for all your replies and help with this.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
TGO Supporter

Q: My base timing was set at 6 degrees BTDC when I set it a month ago.

Is your initial timing in EBL.bin also set to 6 deg?

Q: Get vac readings from the plenum

I am inquisitive? What are you looking for? Your datalogs read VAC as MAP. 10 VAC = 90 MAP

I just noticed something. You idle at 41 kpa. you have a 2040 crane cam? 210/214 @.05 113 LSA I recall. My cam is 224/230 @.05 114 LSA and I idle same RPM but at 38 kpa. I would have expected you to idle lower kpa than me. Yet it is higher. No chance of a vac leak plenum to intake is there?

Last edited by Ronny; 03-19-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Q: My base timing was set at 6 degrees BTDC when I set it a month ago.

Is your initial timing in EBL.bin also set to 6 deg?

Q: Get vac readings from the plenum

I am inquisitive? What are you looking for? Your datalogs read VAC as MAP. 10 VAC = 90 MAP

I just noticed something. You idle at 41 kpa. you have a 2040 crane cam? 210/214 @.05 113 LSA I recall. My cam is 224/230 @.05 114 LSA and I idle same RPM but at 38 kpa. I would have expected you to idle lower kpa than me. Yet it is higher. No chance of a vac leak plenum to intake is there?
yes I do use the 2040 cam, but I thought it was 114LSA, I'd have to double check the specs.

At idle my timing is between 5 to 7 degrees BTDC, it does move around just a little bit. In tunerpro my base is set at 5.98

Not really sure what I'm looking for at the plenum but figured it wouldn't hurt to see what my actual Hg was. When tested I'm getting 19hg with a gauge. This was at the back of the plenum next to the map connection

Removed plugs 1 and 4 here's a couple of photos
Name:  DSCF2800.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  62.8 KB
Name:  DSCF2805.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  137.8 KB
Name:  DSCF2804-1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  37.4 KB
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
TGO Supporter

In your XDF there is an constant/flag for idle SA. If you set it I believe it disregards the value in your spark table and uses it instead. I dont believe it can wander.

Quote: At idle my timing is between 5 to 7 degrees BTDC

Is that correct? your data log above shows 15 deg with idle indicator on?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM

In your XDF there is an constant/flag for idle SA. If you set it I believe it disregards the value in your spark table and uses it instead. I dont believe it can wander.

Quote: At idle my timing is between 5 to 7 degrees BTDC

Is that correct? your data log above shows 15 deg with idle indicator on?
I verified my idle timing with a timing light a little while ago.
Theat constant your refering to I have checked at its set in Tunerpro at 5.98. I'm gonna try and see where your seeing the 15 degrees in my log

I also read 100k ohms at my KS
I loosen it up by one turn. It does seems rather tight since it took me two hands to loosen it.
I did notice the connector to the KS was half off.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Ok I see what your talking about now
Name:  7.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  83.7 KB
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 PM

The "SA - Idle State SA" value is only used when the option flag for it is checked:

Option Word 2 - Bit 1 - IdlSa

The value used for idle SA should be close to what is in the main SA table for the area of idle (RPM & KPa). This provides a smooth transition from the idle SA to the off-idle SA.

Note that the spark plug pic's are out of focus. Can't see what is going on. Although, with the knock sensor connector partly off that may have been the excess knock issue.

RBob.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Heres a question. Does this car have long tube headers? Do you have a heated o2 sensor?

I ran into a little problem with long tubes and closed loop that made me go open loop but I think the problem lies in the o2 mv values upper and lower thresholds and time until its ready to switch to closed loop from open. It would idle fine in open but soon as temp was reached for closed loop, it would go lean but then slowly work its way back into being acceptable air fuel wise. Just throwing that out there.

Do you have any datalogs of just idling?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Oh the frusteration is setting in... KS alarm for the last 10 mins

Here what we know.
Vac 19hg Fuel pressure when disconnected from vac 52 when connected back up is 44. Tracked down information on my injectors. They flowed 25.1 to 26.9 at 43.5. So I set up my worksheet at 26. BPC I'm using is 159.
Knock sensor ohm at 100k. Made sure the plug was connected. Base timing verified at 5 to 7 degrees BTDC when idling.
By the way Orr.... the answer to the heated O2.... NO I don't have one
IDLING OPEN LOOP
Name:  9cold.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  95.2 KB

CLOSED LOOP
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  98.0 KB
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  82.4 KB
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  96.7 KB

MY DREADED SCREENS
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  66.3 KB

DATALOG IDLE
Name:  15.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  116.9 KB
Name:  16.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  117.4 KB

I'm fast getting lost. But trying to stay on top of this with patience. I'm back to it popping a bit out the exhaust so I'm assuming I'm back to my lean condition. I'm really thinking that this is a fuel problem. Just can't figure out what to do next.

Im gonna throw this shot in too.
Name:  17.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  107.1 KB

Last edited by slrvette; 03-19-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Oh the frusteration is setting in... KS alarm for the last 10 mins

Here what we know.
Vac 19hg Fuel pressure when disconnected from vac 52 when connected back up is 44. Tracked down information on my injectors. They flowed 25.1 to 26.9 at 43.5. So I set up my worksheet at 26. BPC I'm using is 159.
Knock sensor ohm at 100k. Made sure the plug was connected. Base timing verified at 5 to 7 degrees BTDC when idling.
By the way Orr.... the answer to the heated O2.... NO I don't have one
The fuel pressure should be set to 43.5 psi with the vacuum line off and engine running.

The base timing shouldn't be moving around. With the EST/BYPASS connector open the timing should be steady. Is this a GM distributor with a GM module?

As for the knock counts, my bet is that it is false. It it occurring under light load which should hardly ever knock. The knock retard will affect the VE Learning. So this area needs to be fixed.

If there aren't any pepper specks on the plugs and you want to disable the knock retard for now. Zero out the two max retard tables:

SA - PE Max Retard
SA - Non-PE Max Retard

The counts will still go up, but there won't be any knock retard from it. Of course you should be listening to the engine while driving it to hear if knock/ping is occurring.

As Orr89RocZ mentioned, with long tube headers and the NB O2 sensor down at the collector or further back, a heated O2 sensor is required.

RBob.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 AM

So I will reset my FPR to 43.5 with the vac line disconnect. When my vac is connected my FP Gauge reads 38psi. Which of those two numbers do I use for BPC-port worksheet?

Both NB and WB02 are located just before the collectors on the headers. One on each side. My NB also is connected to a A/F piller gauge that I have. Could that gauge effect the way my NB operates?
Why do I need a heated NB?

I reviewed my datalogs late last night from when this car had the TBI. All logs revealed that I never had a issue with knock counts. So this definetly is caused from something I've done from my HSR upgrade. False or not its there since.

As a new starting point I have gone back to the orginal port .bin that came with the ebl. (figured it would be safer). My concern is I'm gonna end up melting the engine. We don't want that.

The distributor I'm using is a cardone from Advance Auto (92 camaro) with a MSD cap. Ignition module is what came with the dizzy

Been out there already for a couple of hours this A.M with Gauges hooked up and timing light and still no progress. The one thing that is ALWAYS consistant is that the longer the car runs the leaner it gets. My NB will raise to 18.0 / 800mv and stay. (changed the sensor last summer)
WB02 slowly rises as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM

For the BPC calc use the psi setting with the vacuum line off. Which will be the 43.5 psi.

800 mV on a NB sensor is rich.

The graph on the senor diagnostics display show both the NB and WB reading. Note that there are also two scales, one in red and one in magenta. It is color coded to match the NB and WB readings. One scale for one, the other scale for the other.

The NB O2 reading is in red, the annunciation is in red and the NB O2 scale is in red.

The WB O2 reading is in magenta, the annunciation is in magenta and the WB O2 scale is in magenta.

Also note that they are inverse. As the WB O2 rises the NB O2 drops.

For the distributor/module my preference has always been GM parts.

RBob.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Here's where I'm at at this point.
Readjusted PSI. now 43.5 with vac off. Set BPC at 160
I did find that when I removed the EST wire and checked timing at idle I was at 1 degree ATDC. So readjusted to 6*BTDC, its dead on know with no movement.
So I thought for sure that it would be fine now.
NOPE... been playing around with the BPC numbers to see what that would do. Without fail regardless of what I do the AFR still wants to go 16-19 at idle.
Knock counts improved when I set my BPC to 171 but still reading lean in the end.
I wonder if my injectors are all firing evenly or maybe 1 or 2 of them have got bad flow?
About ready to just go out and buy all new injectors and try that.
It appears I've got good vac throughout the engine. Even looked again for exhaust leaks prior to the sensors and nothing.
I did set my EGR-CTS threshold up to 150, since I don't use a EGR.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Omh the injectors when warm. They should read near 16 ohms i believe warm
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Omh the injectors when warm. They should read near 16 ohms i believe warm
I did they ohm'd out at 13.3 each.
Spoke with the fella that orginally clean/flow checked them. he offered check them for free to make sure that they are flowing and with a good spray. Only thing left I can think of.
I lifted the car back up and redid the flange's for the headers to be sure they weren't leaking.
I pulled number 1 plug and to me it looked like any other plug. No pepper specs and did have a little white/gray on it but not much at all.
I'm running out of ideas. i do believe the .bin is ok

Just did a road test and a VE learn, NOT good. INT/BLM's are all over the place, both are ranging 108 to 140. AFR 15 to 17, and I swear I hear a knock.
Parked the car. Played with it for two days....have no idea what to do with it at this point. Don't want to blow it up. And I think its time to go get a beer!

Last edited by slrvette; 03-20-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

SOunds like the VE learn is NOT doing what its suppose to. You may have to adjust manually to see if you can get a change in fueling to show on both NB and WB.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:54 AM

Here's why some frusteration set in today. Nothing is consistant. I've had my few beers some I'm good to go now.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  125.6 KB
Name:  19.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  123.6 KB
Name:  20.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  21.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Here's why some frusteration set in today. Nothing is consistant. I've had my few beers some I'm good to go now.
It is going to be all over the place. The cam, heads, and induction system were changed. Which changed the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Do a bunch of learns back to back. Drive for 10 minutes, then stop and flash in the new calibration. Drive for another 10 minutes, stop and flash in that new calibration. Do this until the corrections are 5 to 6 %.

Also, if it is still getting false knock retard that will vary the VE of the engine. So need to correct that or zero out the max retard tables for a good VE learn.

RBob.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Positive attitude today.
Started with a new .bin (tpi from ebl)
I zero these two tables
SA - PE Max Retard
SA - Non-PE Max Retard
EGR-CTS Enable threshold adjusted to 150 per introduction to tuning part 2. Left it at that, flashed .bin
Ran 6 10 min drives doing VE learn through BLM
Here's where I'm at
STEADY SPEED
Name:  steadyspeed.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  121.2 KB

ON SLIGHT ACCELERATION
Name:  slightaccel.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  129.8 KB

20 SECONDS OF ENGINE SOUND

What should I do next? Mechanically give it more fuel?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Still slightly rich in the 1500-1600 rpm 75KPA area. I'd take out some fuel there and blend the surrounding tables.

Still slightly lean on the 1300-1400 rpm 32KPA cruise area. I'd add a touch more fuel there.

Like said, keep doing many VE learns. Vary the conditions to get good points. Check the plugs on occassion to to verify if its knocking at all (detonation)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM

I had to stop the VE learns today. The schrader valve on the fuel rail all of a sudden started blow fuel up through it. So until I get that fixed I'll give you guys a couple of days off!...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM

I had to stop the VE learns today. The schrader valve on the fuel rail all of a sudden started blow fuel up through it. So until I get that fixed I'll give you guys a couple of days off!...
I had to chuckle at your last sentence. No problem. When you get it going again let us know.

Also listened to the idle a few times. From what I can tell it sounds OK. The camera moved which changed the tone. But I didn't hear any issues with the idle. Sounded for the most part as a steady idle RPM.

At this point you may want to do some VE learns while locked in open loop (use the closed loop CTS threshold set high). Using the WB will learn in more quickly along with learning in WOT areas. Just note that there won't be any fuel corrections from closed loop.

So be alert to having the AFR lean. Don't beat up on the engine. Just ease into higher RPM & load areas and double check as you go.

RBob.

Quick Reply: VE & Spark Tables?