DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

input/opinions please....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
input/opinions please....

Hopefully, this is the right forum....I am planning to build a 383 for my 91 z28. I plan to retain the stock type TPI system (may change intake, runners, etc...., but would like to keep all the GM software and hardware and retain the stock look) I am hoping for about 400 hp. Now, here's the question...... can I burn a chip that will make this motor start, idle and run as well as GM did?

Right now the car starts and runs perfect. No stumbles, hesitations, misses. If it is 10 degrees outside, I can start the car and drive off just like normal.

Can I make my aftermarket motor run just as well? (I am new to the tuning/chip burning stuff-- have a lot to learn, but before I go building a motor I want to make sure I can make it run/idle/etc.... as well as the factory did)

Last edited by 91 zeee; 10-19-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling/content
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: input/opinions please....

In short, Yes you possibly can.

Depending on how radical the combination is, it is doable. Wilder combos will be MUCH harder to get right and some you may never get it to be as smooth as factory L98 or w/e.

Will take lots of time and effort to do so on alot of builds however. Not to discourage you but does take some time to learn it all.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Car: 1993 Caprice wagon "Shammoo"
Engine: tpi'd 406, with P4 ebl EBL 730 ECM
Transmission: custom "4L65" swap.
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1 with posi

I'd start playing with tuning NOW on the old motor. Get all your hardware decisions made and purchased. Getting the software prepared properly to load the files, bins and Masks (xdf's) in itself can be humbling. The terminology differs as well. It would be better to start learning HOW right NOW on an engine that's already running rather than to try to learn everything at crunch time when you try to start the new motor.

There is a steep learning curve even if you are a computer wizard in other areas of your life.

Can it be done? Yes.

I'm doing to a 400block with much more modification than you are planning. It started as a 4400 lb lawn ornament. Now when the throttle gets stomped, it's an absolute raging beast from hell.

Can it be done by you?
That question still remains to be answered, but you will give yourself the best chances by starting NOW to learn the basics on a running engine.

Had I been smart enough to take my own advice, I would have been much better off, and with less frustration for the past three years! Speaking of years, it won't happen overnight. This a relatively continuous process. I doubt many here would say "I'm done!" There is a great deal of tinkering spirit of "What if?" with most of us, and we continue to learn, and continue to burn. I'm 60 years old and I still have a learning spirit. Remain undaunted and you will succeed.

I've found a tremendous resource here, and can't be thankful enough to the many, many guys here that gave me guidance over the past few years, (and right up to last night) to get "Shammoo" running. Kudos to you all!

Last edited by lakeffect2; 10-21-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

makes sense. however.... if I build my motor and then send my engine info (cam specs, comp ratio, etc...) to someone to burn and send me a custom prom , would I get a prom that would make my car run and have the driveability that it did before? or should I expect the cars driveability to not be as good as GM had done it?
the reason I ask is that if they can do that without any "testing/tuning" should I expect to be able to do the same (after I dive into this and learn all I can)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Car: 1993 Caprice wagon "Shammoo"
Engine: tpi'd 406, with P4 ebl EBL 730 ECM
Transmission: custom "4L65" swap.
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1 with posi

Originally Posted by 91 zeee
the reason I ask is that if they can do that without any "testing/tuning" should I expect to be able to do the same (after I dive into this and learn all I can)
Notice the big IF. Your initial assumption is invalid that "they" get it right the first time. You''ll find it's not as simple as plugging numbers into a magical formula, otherwise there wouldn't be the thousands of posts here by people trying to figure out how to get it right! The formula would have solved the problem for us all We would have gotten it right the first , just like the "tuners". (no dis-respect intended)

Numerous factors interplay, changing one thing can easily affect area that aren't necessarily obvious. I make a change last week, and the speedometer on my digital dash stopped working! Why? I have no freaking clue! Wasn't obvious. So yes, dive in first and learn all you can.

Many here can confirm it can take hundreds of burns to get it even close to being "right" The Big Dogs on this forum will read this and no doubt snicker in agreement agree. (Me? I'm just a little pup that gets my nose whacked when I pee on the forum's carpet)

By the way, what is your definition of Right? You'll need one, as it's all subjective anyway. Again in your own words, Dive in and learn all you can. Let the Search Button and Stickies become your new best friends.

There is a theory about when a person starts a new job, of being unconsciously incompetent. Tuning is like that in my opinion. That's where we all start, that we don't even have a clue about how little we know about it. Eventually, as we learn, the hope is that we get consciously competent. We have to think about what are doing but we can get it done. There are a many around here who have gained the ultimate level of being unconsciously competent, that they know it so well that they don't have to think about it anymore. I doubt few here would say they have achieved that level, as most of those guys are humble enough to admit there is always more to learn. The rest of us are incredibly thankful there are here for us puppies.

Most all of us still have a lot to learn, and I am one of them. At least now I'm consciously incompetent. I'm to the point that I am aware of the true nature of what I need to learn is much broader than I ever realized or imagined, and I'm not that far along the path of learning.

So dive in, just realize it's a long swim to the other side. You can do it.

Dave Buchholz

Last edited by lakeffect2; 10-24-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: cosmic gift of enlightenment after five beers.