DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

When to start tunning

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: lo5
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373 with detroit limited slip
When to start tunning

Hello I have a 89 rs lo3. Only have a few mods like ultimate tbi and open air cleaner cat back exhaust only 2.5 in was installed by previous owner . And advanced timing. My question is should I get equipment to tune now so I can learn before I do other mods. And also with the mods I've done will I be able to notice a difference if I tune it right. Any input would be appreciated
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"
Re: When to start tunning

Before tuning you'll need to do some data logging. Why? So that you can find out where your engine needs more fuel and where less. That's just a start - ALDL cable and WinALDL on a laptop.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice I've read the threads on where to start and equipment to buy but what exactly do I need to data log and burn chips I have a 89 lo3 tbi
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Car: 13 Charger, 91 RS 5 speed, 02 1500
Engine: Cast Iron 6.2

This one by traxion I found very explicit as far as the options, what they do, where to buy
https://www.thirdgen.org/promintro
I have to read some of these articles several times in order to truly absorb whats in there. Its something new to me so I struggle to catch on.

Many, Many guys have asked the exact same question that you are asking and there is no one answer to it.

There are threads on this board that give: exact names of equipment, prices, how to use it, when to use it.... and so on.
But there are a few different ways to start out. And it takes much reading for someone new to it to know whats right for them.
No one can give you the answer.

I know the following is the usual answer to this question but I really am asking to help.
Have you read the sticky 'intro to prom tuning'?
Have you read through everything on this site you could find on Prom tuning? Or getting started Prom tuning?

I hope this doesn't seem like a blow-off reply because its not.
I just believe that if you are asking this question then you simply haven't read enough to know what you don't know.

And be patient.
I have been tuning my 02 Chev 1500HD with .030over LS6 using HPTuners for three months now and still feel like I don't know what to do next.

Last edited by aldrichg9; 02-08-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Jeez I don't want to be that "use the search" guy
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Thank you I have done alot of reading about it there's just so much info. I'm going to keep reading there is alot of shorthand abreevation I'm not sure of been trying to find a thread about that. If you know of one that would be great. I knew there were alot of other threads about the same subject sorry bout that what do you use
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM

Car: 13 Charger, 91 RS 5 speed, 02 1500
Engine: Cast Iron 6.2

Try not to get hung up on the shorthand and acronyms. The conversation as a whole is more important...
That being said here is the only acronym list I know of - its actually an acronym and definition list - but is LS specific so I know there are some TPI specific items missing
Such as BLM = Block Learn Mode [EDIT: the link shows this as Block Learn Memory (Fuel Trims)]
Not sure if we are allowed to link to other forums but here goes since I haven't found this good of a list here.
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9552

I am yet to get started in Prom burning so I cannot offer any advice on equipment to use.
I am still unsure of what to buy and might be a bit overcautious.
Not sure why though - I jumped right in with HPTuners and it cost 700$ - so Prom burning is nothing costwise when compared to LS calibration

Edit2: Maybe I can keep from getting my post deleted if I offer this TGO thread I found
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ns-sticky.html

Which contains a link for here: [this one calls it Block Learn Multiplier]
http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/faq/biglist.txt

See man you just have got to keep reading and reading. This info will continue to pop up.
And when you are tired of effin reading and want to get started: buy your equipment and continue reading while you get started

Last edited by aldrichg9; 02-08-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

If your going to stay with TBI then I wouldn't spend a dollar on anything other then an EBL, has the most support then anyother tuning option on this forum, no chip burning and swapping, runs of of GM's algorithm with added features and tables, this is a really really big plus for daily driver cars since the code is much more advanced then most aftermarket stand alone ecu's, meaning better year round driveability plus diagnostic codes and better transient fuel control. This is just my experience with a few of the older more affordable aftermarket ecu's, I haven't worked with any high dollar stand alones so it maybe that they've come a long way, but I cant say, for the price the EBL compared to say a Fast FXI for about 2k, for a begginer looking to learn I would stick to something cheaper until I got better at it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a ALDL cable from Craig Moates and down load TP/RT or winALDL and datalog your BLM's to start. One you have BLM data you will see what needs changing in VE table. you can read the NB02 sensor for voltage and you may see it to be lean for PE mode meaning under 900mv. If so add a little fuel pressure and monitor again. You will need to add a FP gauge and verify the FP is keeping steady under load. If no you need a larger FP.

Cam change or head change will necessitate tuning for sure.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 firebird
Engine: TBI 305 (built)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by gp90gta
If your going to stay with TBI then I wouldn't spend a dollar on anything other then an EBL, has the most support then anyother tuning option on this forum, no chip burning and swapping, runs of of GM's algorithm with added features and tables, this is a really really big plus for daily driver cars since the code is much more advanced then most aftermarket stand alone ecu's, meaning better year round driveability plus diagnostic codes and better transient fuel control. This is just my experience with a few of the older more affordable aftermarket ecu's, I haven't worked with any high dollar stand alones so it maybe that they've come a long way, but I cant say, for the price the EBL compared to say a Fast FXI for about 2k, for a begginer looking to learn I would stick to something cheaper until I got better at it.
^^^ this ... Ebl only way to go with TBI ... Ain't gotta deal with taking chips out n puttin em back in n all that... Simple send ur ECM to RBob and when u get it back put it back where it was and leave it
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

One other big advantage to running an EBL is emissions equipment, most affordable (my def of affordable is under 1k) aftermarket ecu's dont have emssions control. I dont have an EBL but I feel that as a beginner most people dont want to spend six months learning just what all the tables are and the car still dont run, from what I've seen over the years is that the support RBob gives for his product is much more then anyother setup on this forum.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EBL can control port fuel as well with a modification.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 firebird
Engine: TBI 305 (built)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by gp90gta
One other big advantage to running an EBL is emissions equipment, most affordable (my def of affordable is under 1k) aftermarket ecu's dont have emssions control. I dont have an EBL but I feel that as a beginner most people dont want to spend six months learning just what all the tables are and the car still dont run, from what I've seen over the years is that the support RBob gives for his product is much more then anyother setup on this forum.
Exactly ! U won't find better customer service or product support than what RBob gives .. If u have any questions along the way while learning how to tune u can email him anytime an will usually respond within a couple hrs if not by the end of the day for sure ! Weekends holidays whatever he always responds ... And like I said there are ALOT of ppl here on TGO that use the ebl and they are also VERY helpful alon the way ! Like stated above dont waste a $0.01 on chip burning equipment