DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Ebl flash tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Re: Ebl flash tune

Good tip on the plug issue (pun intended) and corv3tt3 suggestion about checking plug wires is a good idea too. I have had burned wires that made tuning a nightmare. When I first built this engine I wanted to make sure I didn't burn the new set so I used some of the "heat sleeves" that are supposed to protect the wires. Well they did protect them from heat but since they are basically aluminum foil covered cloth they can cause a short too. In my case it wasn't enough to kill a cylinder but it did "leak" voltage. With the garage dark I could see a faint spark jumping from the sleeves to the header flange from time to time. Power seeded good but the idle would get rough from time to time and I chased it for a while. Point is what I was stating in my earlier post, everything mechanical has to be right before you can ever get a good tune.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 12-14-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in

Originally Posted by L98GTA87
Off subject of tuning but are you running the correct spark plugs for the vortec heads? They have a longer reach into the combustion chamber vs the standard sbc plugs.

Vortec plug on the left in picture.
I would like to run vortec plug but i can't cause I'm using headers with the build and with a standard plug the plug wire literally sits right on the header pipes
Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by soarestransam
Hey corv3tt3 so i used that bin f-3000 was i only suppose to use the sa table and main table and load that into the current one im using or totally start over with that one cause if so then i messed up i ended up using the f-3000 bin and changing most of the tables
Just copy the tables over for the SA.

If for some reason you ever overwrote things you should not have, use the BIN compare tool in tuner pro with a BIN that you previously created for a VE learn and saved off to the side to copy things back in.

I always have a few versions of a BIN in case I need to roll back to a previous setting.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 PM

I would like to run vortec plug but i can't cause I'm using headers with the build and with a standard plug the plug wire literally sits right on the header pipes
Are you able to use wires with 90* angle connectors? Sounds like a straight wire connector might be your problem.

FWIW- I usually buy universal wire sets and then cut & crimp to fit. Universal sets sometimes have both plug ends- straight and 90*.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CORV3TT3
Just copy the tables over for the SA.

If for some reason you ever overwrote things you should not have, use the BIN compare tool in tuner pro with a BIN that you previously created for a VE learn and saved off to the side to copy things back in.

I always have a few versions of a BIN in case I need to roll back to a previous setting.
I never overwrite a bin, always save as.

In the past year, just with the EBL system I have over 650 tunes. In that group is 8 start overs. I have a numbering system I use so I can always go back.

For example my current tune is 8.2.20. The first digit "8" represents a start over. This is the eighth time I have gone back to my base tune. The second digit "2" is the second section strategy in this tune, working on spark or fuel or some other major category within the program. Finally, the third digit "20" represents the twentieth sequential change (or group of changes) I have made.

For my base tune I first choose from the provided tunes the one which best matched my combination. It is then resaved in my bin file as 1.1.1. Next I take 1.1.1 and make all the major changes which will apply to all tunes. Things like EGR, engine CI, manual or automatic trans or anything I KNOW will always be required. I save is as 2.1.1 and start tuning from there. Also I log all changes made in a notebook along with my notes, observations and future changes to make. On the same line as the tune number I note which bank number it is (or will be) installed. I rotate banks so if the last tune is in bank 3 the next tune will be in bank 4 etc. I use this same numbering system for my logs with the suffix L1, L2 etc. I can always go back and forth between different tunes even when driving.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Are you able to use wires with 90* angle connectors? Sounds like a straight wire connector might be your problem.

FWIW- I usually buy universal wire sets and then cut & crimp to fit. Universal sets sometimes have both plug ends- straight and 90*.
yea im using 90 degree boots but it looks like it is still going to hit up on the passenger side Im gonna test fit tomorrow night to see if it will rub up if not ill end up buying a full set of the plugs for vortec heads
Old 12-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans am
Engine: 350 Vortec Stealth Ram
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 02 SS Torsen Zexel 3.42

How's this coming along for you? Closely following as I have a similar engine setup and trans.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 PM

How's this coming along for you? Closely following as I have a similar engine setup and trans.
Coming along ok need to get new plugs since I'm using the wrong ones lol had accel plugs in, instead of the ones specifically for vortec heads but I should have them this weekend hopefully if not next weekend but I redid a new bin file from the info the guys in this thread told me hope it will smooth out once it runs I'll do the ve learns and see if it improves
Old 12-30-2015, 04:25 PM

Coming along ok need to get new plugs since I'm using the wrong ones lol had accel plugs in, instead of the ones specifically for vortec heads but I should have them this weekend hopefully if not next weekend but I redid a new bin file from the info the guys in this thread told me hope it will smooth out once it runs I'll do the ve learns and see if it improves
Those plugs are important. I remember seeing someone posted they had issues for many years and ultimately their problem was using the standard plugs on vortec heads. Definitely update on how she's running when you get that bin flashed and the plugs in.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Those plugs are important. I remember seeing someone posted they had issues for many years and ultimately their problem was using the standard plugs on vortec heads. Definitely update on how she's running when you get that bin flashed and the plugs in.
ok so update for everyone I got a single vortec plug ac delco 41993 to test fit to see if any plug wires would rub up on the flowtech shorty headers and come to find out im in the clear so Im gonna get the rest prob this week or next week money is tight as usual once I have all of them ill install and update u guys on further progress of the whole ebl tuning
Old 01-08-2016, 05:34 PM

ok so update for everyone I got a single vortec plug ac delco 41993 to test fit to see if any plug wires would rub up on the flowtech shorty headers and come to find out im in the clear so Im gonna get the rest prob this week or next week money is tight as usual once I have all of them ill install and update u guys on further progress of the whole ebl tuning
Those are some costly plugs, that's for sure!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:32 PM

Hey everyone it's been a while since wasn't able to be on since my account got frozen some how (weird) but now it's working fine so here I go

Well got the vortec spark plugs installed them put everything back together flashed in the different bin program with small calibrations matched the bpc vs vac table to the ebl utility set timing to 8 degrees btdc went to start it up and it still didn't want to start up.

Another thing I did a compression test while old plugs were out and I got a reading of about 150 psi on all cylinders this was with motor cold throttle wide open is this ok or did I melt something inside now the motor did run a couple months ago I'm at a lost on this any input would help
Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No spark or no fuel?

Key on engine off do you see a blink of the CE light then steady on? If not .bin may be the issue.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Well got the vortec spark plugs installed them put everything back together flashed in the different bin program with small calibrations matched the bpc vs vac table to the ebl utility set timing to 8 degrees btdc went to start it up and it still didn't want to start up.

Another thing I did a compression test while old plugs were out and I got a reading of about 150 psi on all cylinders this was with motor cold throttle wide open is this ok or did I melt something inside now the motor did run a couple months ago I'm at a lost on this any input would help
The compression of 150 is OK.

As for the engine not wanting to start, back on post 32 is where this issue appeared. According to that post you moved the distributor. After that the engine wouldn't start. You need to get the base timing back to 8* BTDC at the distributor. If you have someone that can crank the engine over, have them do that while you turn the distributor. See if that gets the engine started.

It is highly recommended that you put a timing light on the #1 plug. May be able to see it firing and use the timing marks to get the distributor properly set.

Also, it may be that the engine is flooding, holding the go-pedal on the floor while cranking is a clear flood mode.

If the plugs end up being fouled again replace them with inexpensive standard plugs. Save the iridium's for when the tune is better.

RBob.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Ok well here it is everyone after watching countless YouTube vids, posting on here pulled the valve cover off and watched the intake valve open them close this verified I was on the compression stroke so I cranked it til it lined up on the timing tab 8 degrees dropped the distributor in and it was pointing right at no.1 cylinder so I hooked wires up etc etc, came in the car opened the laptop and went into tuner pro opened up the bin file set initial sa at 8.00 degrees and idle state sa at 22.00 degrees making sure the bpc vs vac was still good and everything else went into ebl what's up and flashed bin into the ecm thinking everything was good go to crank it over and nothing like usual I'm getting really fed up with this whole set up I hate dumping all this money into this sh** just to still get me no where I think I'm taking all this stuff off slapping a tpi setup back on and calling it a day or even that go simple and just carb the damn thing that's how fed up I'm with it
Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Ok update for everyone I have decided to leave the ebl flash and just go back to tpi set up I have a spare harness that I'm gonna install go back maf and go back to a standard ecm I would like to thank everybody on trying to help out but this just isn't for me so come spring time I'll start tackling the tear down thanks for the advice and help but with the ebl I don't see myself getting it running anytime soon
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Wish you lived closer to me, would have helped you getting it all sorted out...

Best of luck with the new direction you're going in.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Ok update for everyone I have decided to leave the ebl flash and just go back to tpi set up I have a spare harness that I'm gonna install go back maf and go back to a standard ecm I would like to thank everybody on trying to help out but this just isn't for me so come spring time I'll start tackling the tear down thanks for the advice and help but with the ebl I don't see myself getting it running anytime soon
Man I hate to hear you couldn't get it figured out. When it comes to the EBL vs any other factory ecm it really isn't any different in terms of getting the motor to run. There's something else amis here. Of course, side stepping it all and running a HEI distributor and carb is relatively fool proof but still has to be set up/hooked up properly.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Car: 1987 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-Bolt 3.27

I was another that couldn't get the EBL situated. Not knocking it at all but just couldn't get it dialed in right. Ended up selling it and shortly after selling the car. Was a reliable daily with the Holley stealth ram vortec 350. Good luck with your new direction.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Wish you lived closer to me, would have helped you getting it all sorted out...

Best of luck with the new direction you're going in.
Yea I wish u did also I really think it's something in the harness that is messed up when I check power to the iac tps and map I'm getting nothing out all of them but on the wud it shows that the map is at 100 kpa, and that the iac is showing 122 steps also when I push the throttle down it shows that the tps % is increasing does this make sense at all to you
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, that is at least something to troubleshoot. If the motor is not running then 100map would be normal and 122 steps for the iac sounds about right. To confirm the TPS readout on the EBL screen does move when you depress the throttle right? If this is the case then you should be able to find power (5vdc I believe) at the tps sensor. Then move to the other sensors and verify voltage there too. Separately I would verify the meter you are using works correctly. Your car is listed as 1988 which means you were originally MAF which in turn means you had to add map & run a power wire. There are quite a few harness changes required and I would re-check all of them. If you did it like I did then it meant you were lying on you side in the passengers floor area. It's easy to get something wrong in those conditions. You'll need a good schematic for the factory harness to compare wires/colors etc. I know it may be frustrating but if you go back to maf you have to un-do all those changes anyway or swap out your other harness. Either way it's a lot of work to get it running. If you are successful with the EBL it will have been worth the effort. Trust me I have used the MAF ecm and EBL and it's night and day difference if you seriously want to tune. If you just want to get it close and forget if then the carb may be your safest bet. Custom EFI is something you have to want because it takes work. Maybe it's not for everyone.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 PM

Gremlins will drive you batty- that's for sure,

I had a bad connector on my TT-1 that led me believe it was an exhaust leak. RBob took care of it for me and once I got that ironed out things started to fall into place.

Drive and determination are things I don't lack. In fact, they may even be a hindrance at times.

But you have to be pretty determined if you are operating off reservation so to speak when it comes to cars and some combinations. If you screw with anything long enough you will break it, figure it out, or both.

Best of luck to you though!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 PM

Ok so update got another untouched maf harness in the car hooked it all up for fun and games before tampering with repinning I attempted to start it set timing at 6 btdc cranked over and it ran like sh** but it fired up (no maf) hooked up or air intake now what should I do from here since I know that this is now my base starting point
Old 02-29-2016, 03:53 AM
Supreme Member

When you are in Tuner Pro, make sure your engine size in the bin you are using is for the correct size engine displacement, and make sure your fuel injector size is also correct as well. Once you verified those two things, as well as confirmed one last time that your timing is on the money, pull up the WUD, start the engine, and check to see if your throwing any engine codes in the malfunction box, and glance over the diagnostic screen. Once all is good, do a quick VE Learn to help dial in your air/fuel at idle...
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Was this with the stock ecm or the EBL? If you still want to run the EBL you gotta repin the harness and add the map sensor. Along with all the stuff SL mentioned.

If you are planning to run the stock ecm then how are you tuning? Chip burn and swap?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
Was this with the stock ecm or the EBL? If you still want to run the EBL you gotta repin the harness and add the map sensor. Along with all the stuff SL mentioned.

If you are planning to run the stock ecm then how are you tuning? Chip burn and swap?
This was with the stock ecm i got with the car so a 350 L98 auto chip I plan on using the ebl again just want to see if it will run somewhat decent on the stock chip for now then I'll attempt to repin the ecm harness to use the ebl again
Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 PM

This was with the stock ecm i got with the car so a 350 L98 auto chip I plan on using the ebl again just want to see if it will run somewhat decent on the stock chip for now then I'll attempt to repin the ecm harness to use the ebl again

Ok question for everyone I know this prob doesn't belong in this section but I'm gonna ask anyway now the car runs with the stock ecm and no repinned harness stock 88 harness.

So here is the question when timing it I set it to 6 degrees btdc it runs but when it runs it shows on the timing tab that it is way to advanced by pass unplugged do u guys think my balancer is messed up like the rubber portion of it spun I heard that happens also when it is fully warmed up 190-220 degrees it sounds like I have a bottom endknock happening on drivers side could this be happening cause the timing is way to off I'm totally confused ??????
Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
TGO Supporter

When I broke two rocker arms this past season my friend used a dial indicator on #1 cylinder to determine if valve timing was off. I believe you do same to determine if the balancer slipped or if the distributor is not installed correctly. Not uncommon to be 180 degrees off. User error.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ronny
When I broke two rocker arms this past season my friend used a dial indicator on #1 cylinder to determine if valve timing was off. I believe you do same to determine if the balancer slipped or if the distributor is not installed correctly. Not uncommon to be 180 degrees off. User error.
Yea but if it was 180 degrees off the car wouldn't even run mine actually does fire up and idle I had that problem once already that i accidentally installed it 180 degrees and it would back fire through the intake once I fixed it and rotated it 180 and rehooked everything back up turn key and vroom fired right up
Old 03-16-2016, 09:09 AM
TGO Supporter

Could it be 45deg off?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

So here is the question when timing it I set it to 6 degrees btdc it runs but when it runs it shows on the timing tab that it is way to advanced by pass unplugged do u guys think my balancer is messed up like the rubber portion of it spun I heard that happens also when it is fully warmed up 190-220 degrees it sounds like I have a bottom end knock happening on drivers side could this be happening cause the timing is way to off I'm totally confused ??????
I'm trying very hard to understand your explanation, but I need clarification if possible. Are you saying that you will time the balancer at 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, and then when you reconnect the EST the timing shows a lot more? That is normal if this is the case. The reason why I am asking for clarification is because the way you are trying to explain it, it sounds like you are saying that you set the timing to 6* BTDC, but then after you tighten the distributor, the timing is showing a lot more when you check it again immediately afterward with the EST still disconnected. If this is the case, then the distributor is too loose when you are setting base timing, and when you let go to tighten it down, it is moving away from your setting...

Bottom line is this, if you set your base timing to 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, tighten your distributor down properly, then check your timing again to confirm it still says 6* BTDC, then plug in your EST bypass, and your timing will now read closer to 20* BTDC. Normal.

Or, if you set your timing to 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, tighten down your distributor, but now the timing is reading much higher when you check it again to confirm 6* BTDC before reconnecting the EST bypass, then, obviously the distributor is moving on its own after you let go of it to tighten it down. If this is the case, then you need to loosen the distributor "just enough" to turn in with a little force when you set base timing, not completely loose or it will move on its' own.

Also, you really need to post a bin and a datalog when the EBL is installed, regardless if it starts or not.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Formula
Engine: SP383 Deluxe FIRST® TPI Intake
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Eaton Truetrac Motive 3.89

At the risk of sounding crude... I think there is a gap between expectations, tenacity, and positive results.

GM engineers spend hundreds of hours on a tune. I remember reading in the book "All Corvettes Are Red"- the story of the C5 Vette- some of the trips out on snow and ice tuning the traction control didn't go as planned. Or even that the initial crash tests proved the chassis was too rigid and it killed the dummies (lack of crumple zones).

My point is this stuff- tuning- takes time. The more non-stock your car... the longer it will take.

When you take it to a shop, you'll eat a tow and then likely they will replace the ECM with another and throw EBL in the trash. If you want it to leave the shop running well... most shops won't likely mess with it because their business model is around efficiency and unless they are familiar with EBL- they won't have time to sit and play with it as long as you would.

This is almost an art.

If you look around at TGO and the tuning community here- some of the guys here you'll see are mechanics, racers, etc. The rest of us folks just know enough to be dangerous and to ask others for help.

I've been working on my tune for about a year and a half. I was also new to tuning. Sure- I had my SA table down in about the first six months... had bad IACs, a bad WB connector, needed a VAFPR, and a whole host of other things... but it has always been that: a learning journey. I'm working on small things nowadays. Like tweaks to AE. I'm pretty comfortable that I have most of it sorted out

I've been perplexed by all kinds of stuff. I've asked a load of questions. It's a lot of trial and error. Set up a BIN... datalog it... read data to confirm problems... make adjustments... revert back if I need it.

Tenacity- you need tenacity to get the tune where you want it. Tuning is NOT going to be an overnight epiphany for anyone who is new to it. Sure... you could get a decent burn from someone... or maybe not. It may run- but it might be too lean in PE mode- who knows. When you can't validate with data logging how do you know how good a mail order tune is? I'm not saying anything bad about tuners- there are some folks who are really good. What I am saying is that they will take their best guess from what they know and tools available- and will send you a chip.

With EBL- you can ALWAYS tweak the tune to your needs. And you can validate it with data (WUD). You can expand what it monitors (ADC channels).

And while you aren't seeing results yet- you are clearly getting frustrated. This isn't easy for anyone who hasn't done it before.

If anything, if you are still taking it to a shop... have the shop check to validate or set you base timing. If it holds a decent idle- leave the EBL in the car and limp it home. Everything starts with your basic mechanical settings. Then... move to VE learns and adjust it from there. You have a non-stock combination and the more non-stock it is... the more work you'll have ahead of you to tune it. There's only so much a stock tune can compensate for before you need to adjust things.

I know this wasn't what you wanted to hear.

But if you stick it out and keep at it... YOU WILL EVENTUALLY FIGURE IT OUT.

Don't let the challenges beat you- beat the challenges.

Just explained so elegantly that I am speechless. EBL and tuning is not a PlayStation. TGO is a great helping and supporting community. "Please and thank you" sometimes goes a long way.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Formula
Engine: SP383 Deluxe FIRST® TPI Intake
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Eaton Truetrac Motive 3.89

Mechanical/engine condition and component issues make tuning difficult. It all has to be right -first. I tuned for months before I figured out the plugs I was using were a tic too cold and due to my combo I was trying to run a little too rich and after a week or so of "progress" it would go south because the plug would start to foul. I would chase it for another week, or month until starting over. Then the weather changes and exposes some short cut I took and I end up starting over again. I also had to learn what to expect and what was acceptable for my combo. I tuned my prior engine for 2-3 years before building this engine and tuned it for about a year before going with the EBL. Now I have a little over a year tuning it and I have only recently been driving a certain tune for more than a day or two. My point is it does take commitment if I want good results. It's no different that carbs and distributors. There are lots of details with them too. It's not just jets but pump cams, air bleeds, float levels etc. But when I do start my EFI in the cold it runs with no operator input and runs consistent. In the end the EFI and EBL is worth the effort. But if you don't have patience, aptitude and stick with it you can't tune either one.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

The balancer could have slipped, timing tabs for different years are in different locations so a balancer/tab mis-match is possible, wires off 1 position on distributor etc.

If it's "easy" to get the drivers side valve cover off you could watch the #1 cylinder valves to get close to TDC. When the exhaust is closing and the intake starts to open observe the valve positions, when they're equal you should be pretty close to TDC. Not exact but if the balancer/tab is 45' off it would be noticeable.

If you look up some of the SBC timing tab positions you could evaluate if the running timing mark seems to line up to where one of the factory positions would be. Most are at around the 1:30 position but there was a few years that was closer to 12 o'clock. If the balancer was the 12 o'clock style it would show way advanced over at 1:30.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

The balancer did not slip, not to mention it is easy to determine if it did simply by looking at the keyway in relation to the timing mark. He had the engine running with the EBL, and he did something physically to alter the timing by hand to make it not start anymore. He even asked about timing again because he seems a little confused by it a few posts up, which was the post I quoted. This is why RBob even stopped responding because Craig is not elaborating on what he did. I too am trying to understand what he is doing, but his explanations are completely off. See posts 32, 33 and 37, then read what I quoted a few posts up...;

This is with the EBL installed;

Post 32 (Craig)

Ok so i played around with it set it at 6 degrees btdc and let it warmed up idle was still crappy even turning the dist after it warmed up to about 200 degree i turned it off disconnected battery plugged in est bypass hooked bat back up and tried starting it and it didnt want to run where the hell did i go wrong now rbob im really about to send it to a tuning shop and let them deal with it cause im getting fed up...
Post 33 (RBob)

I'm not sure of exactly what you did. Sounds like you set the base timing to 6* BTDC, then changed it after the engine warmed up? What does the spark timing do once the EST/BYPASS is reconnected? Does it go advanced or retarded?

It is beginning to look like there are mechanical issues with the engine.

RBob.
Post 37 (RBob)

I'm still not sure what you did with the distributor physical base timing.

RBob.
Post 77 (Craig)

So here is the question when timing it I set it to 6 degrees btdc it runs but when it runs it shows on the timing tab that it is way to advanced by pass unplugged do u guys think my balancer is messed up like the rubber portion of it spun I heard that happens also when it is fully warmed up 190-220 degrees it sounds like I have a bottom end knock happening on drivers side could this be happening cause the timing is way to off I'm totally confused ??????
He needs to clarify what he is doing.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM

The balancer did not slip, not to mention it is easy to determine if it did simply by looking at the keyway in relation to the timing mark. He had the engine running with the EBL, and he did something physically to alter the timing by hand to make it not start anymore. He even asked about timing again because he seems a little confused by it a few posts up, which was the post I quoted. This is why RBob even stopped responding because Craig is not elaborating on what he did. I too am trying to understand what he is doing, but his explanations are completely off. See posts 32, 33 and 37, then read what I quoted a few posts up...;

This is with the EBL installed;

Post 32 (Craig)

Post 33 (RBob)

Post 37 (RBob)

Post 77 (Craig)

He needs to clarify what he is doing.

Ok sorry if I'm not making this clear I'm trying my best here to get this motor somewhat decent

So I'll start off with this first you all know that I went back to a regular mass air flow harness (1988) no repinning done to this one yet using the stock ecm

Next I started playing with the distributor again took it fully out removed the drivers side valve cover and watched the no.1 rockers first watched the intake valve open then close this told me I was coming up on compression stroke looking at the harmonic balancer and timing tab I stopped it at 6 btdc dropped the distributor in lined up the rotor with no.1 point on cap and locked it down

Next I then put my ignition wires in order 18436572 going clock wise made sure each wire was correct on the plug side and dizzy side

I then hooked up the negative terminal on the bat, disconnected the est by pass connector

Now moment of truth went in the car turned the key fired right up but it runs like s*** but still kept a idle 500-700 rpm

I then hooked up a timing light to battery and no.1 plug aimed it at the timing tab and looked for where it flashed the timing mark it was no where near 6 degrees btdc it was way to advance looking at the motor the mark was about 12 degrees after the timing tab

I'm thinking when I installed the cam and crank gear i think I set the crank gear at 45 degrees advance and not on zero could be or could be not i just don't know
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM

I'm trying very hard to understand your explanation, but I need clarification if possible. Are you saying that you will time the balancer at 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, and then when you reconnect the EST the timing shows a lot more? That is normal if this is the case. The reason why I am asking for clarification is because the way you are trying to explain it, it sounds like you are saying that you set the timing to 6* BTDC, but then after you tighten the distributor, the timing is showing a lot more when you check it again immediately afterward with the EST still disconnected. If this is the case, then the distributor is too loose when you are setting base timing, and when you let go to tighten it down, it is moving away from your setting...

Bottom line is this, if you set your base timing to 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, tighten your distributor down properly, then check your timing again to confirm it still says 6* BTDC, then plug in your EST bypass, and your timing will now read closer to 20* BTDC. Normal.

Or, if you set your timing to 6* BTDC with the EST disconnected, tighten down your distributor, but now the timing is reading much higher when you check it again to confirm 6* BTDC before reconnecting the EST bypass, then, obviously the distributor is moving on its own after you let go of it to tighten it down. If this is the case, then you need to loosen the distributor "just enough" to turn in with a little force when you set base timing, not completely loose or it will move on its' own.

Also, you really need to post a bin and a datalog when the EBL is installed, regardless if it starts or not.
Yes all timing I'm doing is with the est by pass disconnected trying to figure out initial/base timing before letting the ecm do it
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Yes all timing I'm doing is with the est by pass disconnected trying to figure out initial/base timing before letting the ecm do it
Ok, you're not too far off here. When You have it running and the EST connector is disconnected, now is where you "set" the distributor to get to 6'. Semi-loosen the distributor hold down bolt so you can turn it but it won't flop around on it's own. Now start the engine and with you timing light adjust the distributor until the marks line up at 6'. Tighten down the dist hold down bolt and double check the timing is still at 6'. Now turn the engine off and hook the EST wire back up. Restart the engine and the mark should be way advanced at ~20' or so.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

The balancer did not slip,
You're right, I guess it's possible but I haven't ever heard of this happening. I have seen a balancer that came apart and one where the outer ring came off the inner hub but I can't say I have seen one "move one way or the other" and still appear in tact. I should have been more careful in my statement.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 PM

You're right, I guess it's possible but I haven't ever heard of this happening. I have seen a balancer that came apart and one where the outer ring came off the inner hub but I can't say I have seen one "move one way or the other" and still appear in tact. I should have been more careful in my statement.
Ok everyone finally got it at 6 degrees btdc with the motor running the flash from the timing mark was right on 6 idle was kinda smooth

Let it fully warm up to 190-200 degrees I then shut the car off and restarted crank over like 2 rotations before starting but started checked timing again and it was still at 6 degrees btdc so then shut it off again disconnected neg bat terminal hooked up the est by pass hooked up bat turned key and fired right up aimed the timing light at tab and it was around 18-20 degrees advanced so that verified that timing was good

Next I repinned the ecm harness to start with the ebl flash process again I'll be doing the wiring for the map sensor tomorrow or Monday I'll keep everyone posted on when that is all set

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone that has been helping out with this without you guys I would have probably giving up and said f it and carb it so again thank you
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Ok so been playing around tonight on the ebl I repinned the harness correctly got the power I need to the tps iac and map it's all showing correctly on the ebl wud went into tuner pro set the bpc vs vac like the utility told me to set the sa initial to 6 degrees thinking it was all set to start go into wud flash in the vortec bin with the configurations try starting and nothing just cranks but doesn't run like wtf is wrong now it ran with the stock ecm stock harness

All help would be great if I can't figure this out this time I'm officially done with this ebl setup and will get a refund for it and just send the stock prom out to get burned
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 AM

...flash in the vortec bin with the configurations...
You need to either start with a BIN set up for the port injection, or change a few option flags and several tables. You are likely to flood the engine otherwise.

RBob.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Ok so been playing around tonight on the ebl I repinned the harness correctly got the power I need to the tps iac and map it's all showing correctly on the ebl wud went into tuner pro set the bpc vs vac like the utility told me to set the sa initial to 6 degrees thinking it was all set to start go into wud flash in the vortec bin with the configurations try starting and nothing just cranks but doesn't run like wtf is wrong now it ran with the stock ecm stock harness

All help would be great if I can't figure this out this time I'm officially done with this ebl setup and will get a refund for it and just send the stock prom out to get burned

You've come this far, don't let it get the best of you. There is still some work to do before it will start. There are some settings like injector size, EGR and other "hard settings" that will need to match your particular setup. Open the file "EBL Information". It's on your hard drive in the folder created when you loaded the program in your laptop. Go through all the items on that list. I would recommend following Bob's advice by choosing a bin the CLOSELY MATCHES your setup. It won't be exact but close. If you have vortec heads you could copy and paste ONLY the SA tables from a vortec bin into the bin you have chosen.

And please, I understand how frustrating it can be, but jumping to wanting your money back or saying the product isn't good won't help you one bit. The 100% best help on this planet is Bob and I suggest you keep him on your side. You get more flies with honey than vinegar you know. He will help you but about 10,000 people want his help so you have to demonstrate that you are "THINKING" about YOUR setup and have the patience and aptitude to get there. Once you do that he will go to great lengths. One more thing, I was right where you are now in the beginning. About 8 out of 10 of the questions I asked Bob (and others) I later found the answer plainly furnished in one of the documents he provided or on the web site. I can only share my experience but with my non-stock engine I am glad I stuck with it. The EBL runs much better and has a lot more control than my MAF setup ever did. But it took some work to get there.

Read the EBL documents on your computer. Then check the web site. Once you get it running the web site has a good tutorial on tuning and what to look for. It's going to all run together in your head for a while but be patient grass hopper. Once you get to about 50% you will be able to put together a better tune than anyone can do for you through the mail. They simply don't have enough information to make a good tune for a non-stock combo without running the car themselves or at least looking at a datalog and having an extensive list of your exact combo. You can do this if you set your mind to it.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 03-21-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:33 PM

You've come this far, don't let it get the best of you. There is still some work to do before it will start. There are some settings like injector size, EGR and other "hard settings" that will need to match your particular setup. Open the file "EBL Information". It's on your hard drive in the folder created when you loaded the program in your laptop. Go through all the items on that list. I would recommend following Bob's advice by choosing a bin the CLOSELY MATCHES your setup. It won't be exact but close. If you have vortec heads you could copy and paste ONLY the SA tables from a vortec bin into the bin you have chosen.

And please, I understand how frustrating it can be, but jumping to wanting your money back or saying the product isn't good won't help you one bit. The 100% best help on this planet is Bob and I suggest you keep him on your side. You get more flies with honey than vinegar you know. He will help you but about 10,000 people want his help so you have to demonstrate that you are "THINKING" about YOUR setup and have the patience and aptitude to get there. Once you do that he will go to great lengths. One more thing, I was right where you are now in the beginning. About 8 out of 10 of the questions I asked Bob (and others) I later found the answer plainly furnished in one of the documents he provided or on the web site. I can only share my experience but with my non-stock engine I am glad I stuck with it. The EBL runs much better and has a lot more control than my MAF setup ever did. But it took some work to get there.

Read the EBL documents on your computer. Then check the web site. Once you get it running the web site has a good tutorial on tuning and what to look for. It's going to all run together in your head for a while but be patient grass hopper. Once you get to about 50% you will be able to put together a better tune than anyone can do for you through the mail. They simply don't have enough information to make a good tune for a non-stock combo without running the car themselves or at least looking at a datalog and having an extensive list of your exact combo. You can do this if you set your mind to it.
Ok so I'm using the bin 3000.6 5.7 tpi stick bin followed the steps on adding the bpc vs vac which I did off the wud utility next I did the setting timing in the bin which is 6 degrees btdc initial sa and idle state sa i left at 20.18 changed the airflow displacement to a 355 ci which my small block is so that is good changed the cylinder count to 8 which on the editor table would be 0 so I put that in and saved it all in all the steps on the web site I did all of it and still no engine running I really wish someone can just make this bin for me so I can stop getting upset about this
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM

And what is really sickening is that this is post 95 and I'm still stuck in the same god damn boat on it not running like all I get from the motor is slight kick backs like it wants to run but nope when it turns over and that's it
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM

Ok so I'm using the bin 3000.6 5.7 tpi stick bin followed the steps on adding the bpc vs vac which I did off the wud utility next I did the setting timing in the bin which is 6 degrees btdc initial sa and idle state sa i left at 20.18 changed the airflow displacement to a 355 ci which my small block is so that is good changed the cylinder count to 8 which on the editor table would be 0 so I put that in and saved it all in all the steps on the web site I did all of it and still no engine running I really wish someone can just make this bin for me so I can stop getting upset about this
In the 3006 BIN the initial SA should have already been at 6* BTDC (5.98* to be exact). Same for the cylinder count, should have already been set to 0 for an 8 cylinder. If these needed to be changed, then either the wrong BIN was read into TunerPro or the wrong XDF file is being used.

Changing the bpc vs vac is a given as that is the engine displacement and injector flow rate. Actually, that is likely the only change I'd initially make.

You can also change the PromID to another value. This value is displayed on the WUD (that is all that it is used for). Can then check the value on the WUD after flashing in the BIN. They should match, if not then either didn't save the BIN or the wrong BIN was flashed in.

Another item to check for is the SES/CEL blink at key-on, engine-off. That is, it should turn on briefly, blink off, then turn on solid. Can repeat the test after at least 10 seconds of key-off. This verifies that the ECM is running and not in limp mode. If no blink off or the SES/CEL flashes then the ECM is in limp mode (not running from the BIN).

These are easy checks that can be made quickly. Note that if the ECM is in limp mode, don't bother trying to start the engine, fix the limp mode first.

all I get from the motor is slight kick backs like it wants to run but nope when it turns over and that's it
OK, two things to try. First, hold the go-pedal on the floor while cranking. That is a clear flood mode, so if the fueling is rich that will help get the engine started.

On the opposite side, spray some starter fluid into the intake and try starting the engine. If the fueling is lean that will help get the engine going.

Once running keep it running to get it up to temperature. Even if you need to feather the go-pedal.

Be sure to data log while doing this as even if the engine doesn't start it can be helpful.

RBob.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
In the 3006 BIN the initial SA should have already been at 6* BTDC (5.98* to be exact). Same for the cylinder count, should have already been set to 0 for an 8 cylinder. If these needed to be changed, then either the wrong BIN was read into TunerPro or the wrong XDF file is being used.

Changing the bpc vs vac is a given as that is the engine displacement and injector flow rate. Actually, that is likely the only change I'd initially make.

You can also change the PromID to another value. This value is displayed on the WUD (that is all that it is used for). Can then check the value on the WUD after flashing in the BIN. They should match, if not then either didn't save the BIN or the wrong BIN was flashed in.

Another item to check for is the SES/CEL blink at key-on, engine-off. That is, it should turn on briefly, blink off, then turn on solid. Can repeat the test after at least 10 seconds of key-off. This verifies that the ECM is running and not in limp mode. If no blink off or the SES/CEL flashes then the ECM is in limp mode (not running from the BIN).

These are easy checks that can be made quickly. Note that if the ECM is in limp mode, don't bother trying to start the engine, fix the limp mode first.

OK, two things to try. First, hold the go-pedal on the floor while cranking. That is a clear flood mode, so if the fueling is rich that will help get the engine started.

On the opposite side, spray some starter fluid into the intake and try starting the engine. If the fueling is lean that will help get the engine going.

Once running keep it running to get it up to temperature. Even if you need to feather the go-pedal.

Be sure to data log while doing this as even if the engine doesn't start it can be helpful.

RBob.
When trying to start for the first time last night using the 3000.6 should the est by pass be disconnected I tried last night with it connected could that be the reason why it was kicking back ecm was thinking the timing was 20 btdc ?????
Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 AM

Car: 92 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 383 - First Fuel Injection TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:23

I repinned my TBI wiring harness to TPI. It is so easy to miss something when repinning a harness - ohm out and double check everything. I have a factory service manual that helped me immensely with my project. Make sure you carefully check all of your BIN settings - a missed check box or an incorrect number can make a difference.
All of us that have modified our engines in our third generation cars have probably had some of the same experiences that you are going through. I know that I have.
I use RBob's EBL P4 which is a good system for my application - pretty much a "Saturday night cruiser" so driveability is very important to me.

The guys on this forum are willing to help anyone but it is a learning experience - I know as I see helpful information that is useful to me quite often.
I still "play" with my tune and occasionally get something "off" - that is part of the learning process. I do as antman89iroc suggests and have a base tune to fall back on.
Yes it can be frustrating at times but in my opinion the knowledge gained by doing this yourself is worth it!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

When trying to start for the first time last night using the 3000.6 should the est by pass be disconnected I tried last night with it connected could that be the reason why it was kicking back ecm was thinking the timing was 20 btdc ?????
Craig, you are using the wrong bin. There is no 3000.6 bin, there is either a 3000 bin or a 3006 bin. The 3000 bin is for TBI. As RBob just pointed out, the bin you want is the 3006 bin, which is the EBL Flash w/port mod and 6-speed. It will already have the Initial-SA at 6* BTDC and Cylinder Count to 0 (8 cylinders) already there without you needing to change them. Since you did change them, then this underlines you are using the wrong bin. Make sure you are selecting 3006 as your bin to start with. keep the EST connected at all times after bringing your base timing to 6* BTDC with it disconnected. The engine should fire right up.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

I really wish someone can just make this bin for me so I can stop getting upset about this...
Craig, a lot of what I am saying RBob has already said, you're just not listening because frustration seems to be getting the better of you and it is setting in. Now, let's take this from the beginning. Your engine starts with the stock ECM, we know this, so mechanically you are okay in terms of sensors, timing and fueling. This is with the EST Bypass DISCONNECTED and the timing reading 6* BTDC at idle. When you CONNECT the EST Bypass, timing jumps to 20* BTDC, again this is NORMAL. When you CRANK the engine with the EST CONNECTED, the timing is at 6* BTDC, when the engine catches and runs, the ECM moves it to 20* BTDC. Okay? One last time, set the timing with the EST Bypass DISCONNECTED to 6* BTDC, reconnect the EST Bypass and it will now show 20* BTDC, and leave it alone.

Now, rewire the harness to the EBL Flash system.

From here, with the EBL Flash now wired into your harness, do not touch the timing anymore! Not even in the bin! Are you with me? Open up Tuner Pro, and select the XDF entitled "EBL_V40a.XDF" from the Dynamic EFI Folder. If you have an XDF that has "P4" in it, you are using the wrong XDF. Once the XDF is selected, then select your bin file. You will want to select bin file "EBL_F_3006.bin", again, make sure there is no "P4" in the name.

The 3006 bin will already have your SA Initial timing at 6* BTDC, and your Idle State SA at 20* BTDC, as well as your Cylinder Count to "0" so do not touch anything in those areas, nothing. The only thing you want to touch in this bin is your BPC vs VAC, as this covers your engine size and injector flow rate. After making the required changes to your BPC vs VAC and only to that specific area, Flash it into your EBL system. Now start the engine.

Last edited by Street Lethal; 03-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Ebl flash tune