DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Noobish EBL questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noobish EBL questions

I'll be purchasing EBL flash in the next few days so I figured why not start a thread for the questions I'll have.
What are some good wbo2 sensors to get for EBL?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 AM

Re: Noobish EBL questions

If I send my ecm off for the EBL install will it still have the current tune that it has now installed?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Faolan
What are some good wbo2 sensors to get for EBL?
Can use nearly any WB O2 sensor and controller setup. Some of the non-linear systems are built into the WUD for conversion to an AFR. While any 0 - 5 V linear output controller can be used. Easy to make a User Device for one that isn't built into the WUD.

If I send my ecm off for the EBL install will it still have the current tune that it has now installed?
No, the EBL has it's own firmware that doesn't use any of the stock ECM firmware. There are 30-some base calibrations included with the system to start with.

RBob.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:19 PM

I'm sorry for not knowing much about wbo2 sensors but is there a guide on how to install one into EBL, Im not exactly sure what I need to buy :/
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Need a WB system that has the sensor and controller. Zeitronix, Innovater, AEM, FJO, PLX all sell systems. To connect to the EBL:

http://dynamicefi.com/ADC_Connect.php

RBob.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Need a WB system that has the sensor and controller. Zeitronix, Innovater, AEM, FJO, PLX all sell systems. To connect to the EBL:

http://dynamicefi.com/ADC_Connect.php

RBob.
Thanks a lot RBob, you're always a great help!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM

Just installed ebl, no wb yet though. I was messing with the ve learns and noticed most of the time it's a yellow box and doesn't change the ve table. The car also runs richer now. While driving the ve wasn't changed until at I got home then it changed a little and stopped. what would cause ve not to learn?

My vss doesn't work most of time

okay I've came to the conclusion that I'm not going into closed loop. With EBL how much should the stock O2 fluctuate? Mine moves about 30mv idling. Driving the voltage goes up but doesn't fluctuate much.

Last edited by Faolan; 07-13-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Here's a datlog of the idle warm. let me know if you guys notice something that I missed.
Attached Files
File Type: rar
warm idle.rar (253.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 PM

O2 sensor is either dead or is not getting hot enough. The ECM won't go into closed loop until the O2 sensor is active. Which means it needs to swing about 800 mV and/or below 200 mV.

Once in closed loop the O2 sensor output should on a regular basis swing high/low.

RBob.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM

I have achieved closed loop! It was the O2.

that sensor sucks to change, we cut a wrench in half to get it! Haha Now time to start tuning
Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM

It seems I'm having a running rich problem. Ve learns are always taking fuel. I've checked tps, map and cts, all were fine. Also has a bit of a rough idle but it's not too bad. It's DEFINATLY lost some acceleration. This has been a sudden change.
I plan on testing the injectors (I get ~105 DC at WOT) tomorrow and if I can find a gauge, fuel pressure.
​​​​​​​What should I look for in my bin?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM

So my multimeter reads 1.4 ohms on both injectors.. Maybe it means 14?

Anyway changed my plugs and it not running super rich now but while idleing the injectors will try to go async for a split second and cause my rpm to drop, then it goes ae and the Rpm goes up then back to normal. It happens randomly in park idk about neutral. I'll attach a data log when I get home.

is the sa supposed to move around at idle?

Should I aim for about 900mv with the stock O2 at wot? (Can't afford a wb atm) but would like to at least make wot a little better than stock.

Last edited by Faolan; 07-23-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 AM

TBI injectors are around 1.2 ohms, plus .2 ohms of DVM lead resistance and they are OK.

You can eliminate async mode for short PWs by zeroing the two entries in this table:

INJ - ASync Transition PW - TBI Only

At idle the SA can vary to help maintain a steady idle speed.

RBob.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:16 PM

THanks that did help with the huge idle/DE surge. Still doesn't idle like it used to. Idles better with the stock computer?? Feels like an occasional miss at idle. 305 tbi/700r4 only mods are open element and exhaust (no cat and soon to be CAI)

I've spent a lot of time reading tuning guides ect the past week but still haven't figured out a lot of it. Here's a bin and log if anyone would like to help me figure out my idle. Log is warm idle in OL going from P/N-drive (there's a surge there) and a short drive to warm up the o2 and repeat the process in CL. I really appreciate the help so far RBob and others. I don't know much yet but I am really trying.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
current tunelog.zip (886.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Something with the VE Learn isn't correct. Open the low speed VE table and graph it. Compare it to the BIN you started with (EBL_F_2016?).

RBob.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Wow yeah I didn't even realize how far off it got from stock! I'm going to revert to the original and try the ve learns again! The stock bin used is 2016.

I originally started the ve learns with the 26 year old O2 sensor

With the stock bin it idles pretty good still feels at tad rough but better. surges once or twice going into gear but could be normal..
the first thing the idle ve learn did was take fuel again. doesn't smell or sound like it's running rich, maybe I got a bad o2 (bosh :/ I found out ACdelco was better after getting this one)

Last edited by Faolan; 07-27-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Something isn't right. Is the fuel pressure OK? Were larger injectors installed?

RBob.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Fuel pressure is unknown. I don't think my car (91 firebird) has a test port. I'm looking into buying a kit. Checked the injectors and they are 54# the fuel pressure regulator is stock. Dad says he put a bigger fuel pump in when it went bad about 8 years ago, maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Faolan
Fuel pressure is unknown.... Dad says he put a bigger fuel pump in when it went bad about 8 years ago, maybe that has something to do with it?
Very possible, the TBI unit can only return so much fuel before it overwhelms the FPR. The common 255 LPH pumps move too much fuel.

RBob.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Very possible, the TBI unit can only return so much fuel before it overwhelms the FPR. The common 255 LPH pumps move too much fuel.

RBob.
Cool, seems like a good place to start. I'll find out the fuel pressure and report back.

Finished my 3.42 Torsen instal just now and it's niccee
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Okay been tuning some and believe the surge is gone, at idle at least. I didn't drive it.

Since the car is running rich (I think, ebl says so. no wb or fp test kits yet) is there a way to compensate for now so that ve learns are
n't constantly removing fuel?
Besides the first 3 minutes (it'll hesitate for a second hitting the gas. 60* weather now might be worse colder) of startup it shows no signs of running rich. No fouled plugs.
Does have an exhaust lope at idle..

And the exhaust will make this awful loud
humming noise very rarely when hot, don't think that has to do with my tune or lean/rich but it's very weird. It literally covers up all normal exhaust sound

Last edited by Faolan; 09-12-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Bad at posts