Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

car cranking but not starting

Old 05-19-2002, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 406 SBC
Transmission: TH350 stage 2 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3:73
car cranking but not starting

This is really annoying. Two weeks ago I was driving my car and the alternator started making "grinding whisking" noises so I figured it was gonna die soon. End result: the car stalled and the "ignition light" would not come on with the key turned on so my first clue was the alternator wasn't charging. However if it was SOLELY the alternator I would have been able to drive around on battery power an hour or so after the ignition light came on during engine operation. This was not the case. I took off the alternator and had it tested, absolutely dead, ZERO volt output. Having put a NEW one in and upgraded from a measly 65 amp to a 105 amp, the car STILL won't start. Assuming and hoping I put the new alternator in ok, I seriously doubt it is the plugs or wires, they are all new as of last November. All plugs are in snug and wires on tight. I am wondering if maybe the coil is shot? How can you tell? I am running the stock HEI right now and would like to put in my MSD 6200 sometime soon. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this electrical problem? (It's not fuel, there IS gas in the car, and I can see the carb bowls getting gas too). Battery isn't dead as it cranks ok too. ANY help will be much appreciated. Thanks again. -TS
Old 05-19-2002, 11:32 AM

your first step would be to take the distributer cap and coil apart, and check all of that. I had the same problem about a week ago. I took off the cap and found water siting in the rotor. Then i noticed that the little piece that connects the coil to the rotor was broke. I replaced the coil and the cap, and the car started right up, and has been starting great ever since. I think i paid like $40 for the cap, rotor, and coil, so i would recomend just replacing them. its not a huge investment, and I would bet its your problem.
-crash
Old 05-19-2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by capn_crash84
your first step would be to take the distributer cap and coil apart, and check all of that. I had the same problem about a week ago. I took off the cap and found water siting in the rotor. Then i noticed that the little piece that connects the coil to the rotor was broke. I replaced the coil and the cap, and the car started right up, and has been starting great ever since. I think i paid like $40 for the cap, rotor, and coil, so i would recomend just replacing them. its not a huge investment, and I would bet its your problem.
-crash
Dude thanks for your input, I think that's exactly what I am gonna do. Cap/rotor stuff is cheap over here and it probably is a good idea anyways. Thanks again! -TS
Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 PM

Re: car cranking but not starting

*this turned out to be the cam gear was old/bakelite teeth stripped...major overhaul was needed"