Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn signal stalk/bright light activater....FUBARED!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc Z Convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Turn signal stalk/bright light activater....FUBARED!!

Bright lights wont stay on, switch doesn't click so although I can momentarily activate them they don't stay on.It is difficult to engage turn signals as well.I have read simialr posts for this and have tried the remedy (some kind of adjustment) but I can't seem to get my stalk apart. Did anything change in 1990 from previous years ? Do you pull the stalk out and then adjust? I'm afraid to break something and you know it'll be Outrageously expensive to replace it.Could somebody share their expertise on this subject please.

Mechanically inept
Old 11-07-2000, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
You shouldn't have to mess with the stalk. The dimmer switch is towards the base of the column and its mounting holes are elongated. You will have to loosen the mounting bolts and slide the switch up or maybe the switch is just bad. You could also have a bent actuator rod. It would probably be easier to lower the steering column down (two large bolts in the middle) for a "birds eye view" of the situation. Good luck.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

"I used to have a handle on life, but then I used it as a plunger and broke it" -The Wave

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA
'87 Trans Am-K&N,Cold air induction, SSM SFC, Boxed LCAs, 8mm Accel wires, Flowmaster, 16" GTA rims.
'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 11-08-2000, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
ZEDDER - I had the exact same problem with mine and all it took to fix it was the switch adjustment. I could "hold" the brights on, but not engage the switch. Anyhow, as GMTech said, the switch is at the base of the column and it can be a m/f to get to. Best advice (again) is to lower the column (2-13mm nuts) so you'll have more access to it. The screws on the switch mount are 10mm (2) and I think I got to mine using a 1/4 ratchet with a deep socket (best combo for me to use). Just break 'em loose and adjust the switch and snug 'em back down. If you check the "slop" in the actuating rod before you even attempt to adjust it, you'll be able to tell if that's the problem. On mine, it was obvious... Good luck.

KAM

[This message has been edited by thunderstick (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 12-29-2001, 11:28 AM

Wow, I'm having this exact same problem and I can't figure out on how to fix this!!!! If someone could reply to me and tell me exactly what I need to do.. to the step because I've only worked on a couple other steering columns and it was a m/f to do in the first place!! Any help is greatly appreciated!