Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need help installing Cruise in a Non-cruise car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 402ci LS2
Transmission: faceplated T56
Axle/Gears: 9" w/ 4.11's
Need help installing Cruise in a Non-cruise car!

I have a '88 GTA auto parts car. It has cruise on it and has a new turn signal stalk and cruise switch. I want to put the cruise setup on my friends 5-spd formula! Anyways, has anyone done this before? What all do I need EXACTLY. I have some wiring experience but need some help getting it all figured out. I know I need the cruise assembly under the hood and vacuum lines etc, but how do I hook all this stuff to the other car? Any big issues?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

------------------
'91 GTA:
www.fbody.com/members/91WS6GTA
Old 02-12-2001, 11:46 AM

Your only possible huge issue is if his car has a mechanical speedo. If his car has a vss on the transmission, it will not be a difficult swap. Here's what yuou will need to swap:

The cruise servo under the hood.

The electrical and wiring harness that runs from the servo thru the firewall by the pedals.

You'll need the vacuum and electric switches to put on the pedals, along with the brakets possibly. There should be a a vacuum and electric switch on for the cruise on both the clutch and brake pedal.

The cruise control module, the "brain"

The turn signal lever with cruise switches, along with the thin 4-wire lead with the connector on it.

The harness that plugs into the cruise control module and has connectors to go to the turn signal lever, the disable switches on the pedals, and the harness that goes to the servo.

You'll need to tap into a vss output from the vss buffer. This is either a small yellow box about the size of a pack of cards that is mounted near the ecm, or the buffer is built into the ecm. There should be a spare output for the cruise control.

This page has some good info about the vss system: http://www.angelfire.com/mt/psh/speedo.htm

Hope this helps

------------------
------
82 T/A 305/TH350; soon to be 350/T-5
Old 02-12-2001, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

THANKS MAN!!! That helps. It has VSS and electronic speedo. Is much off that wiring and harnesses integrated into the other harness? What I'm saying is am I going to have to cut a lot of stuff out of the other car or just remove it? Thanks again.
Anyone else... ANYTHING else?
Later

------------------
'91 GTA:
Old 02-12-2001, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah... where is the "brain" located at? what does it look like too? THX!

------------------
'91 GTA:
Old 02-12-2001, 03:58 PM

The wiring harness that runs along the drivers side of the engine compartment is totally seperate, just pull it out through the grommet in the firewall and you're all set.

The wires that connect the cruise brain to the pedal switches, the turn signal arm, and the servo harness are run in the main dash harness. Its a bundle of wires about an inch thick wrapped in that black plastic stuff, not sticky tape, but the black wire wrap they use. I pulled my system from a wrecked car and totally ripped out the dash. Assuming you want to keep the rest of the wiring intact, you will need to unwrap the main harness from the area by the pedals to about the middle of the dash, behind the radio. This will let you take out the wires without cutting any of them except the power feed wire and the vss signal wire. I believe the system is grounded through the servo in the enging compartment. However, im not sure how much of the harness is obscures behind various sharp plastic dash pieces, so an easier attack might be to cut off all of the connectors with enought wire for splicing, leaving the runs of wires in the dash harness, and then re-create your own harness when you install the system. If you use this approach, just be careful to tape off all the wires you cut that might have power or a signal on them. You certianly dont want to create a short, or ground out your vss signal and fry the buffer.

The brain is a black plastic box with one connector going into it. I think it was located sort of right-middle-ish in the dash, but when I took mine out the dash was out so im not sure as to the best way to reach it. I dont recall there being any markings on the box.

If you have access to a gm service manual for the year you are pulling the system from, it will have all the wire colors listed in the schematics which might be alot of help to you. In fact, IIRC there is a section on the cruise systme in the accessories chapter in the back.

Good Luck
Old 02-25-2001, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Hey-
Need some more help! I pulled all the stuff ou of the '88 and am trying to put it in a '91. I put the setup under the hood and ran the harness in the car, swapped signal/cruise stalks out and positioned/hooked up the brake/cruise switch. I also ran the harness over to the pass side and mounted the cruise brain and hooked it up. Now I can't figure out what to do. I think I have to tap into the VSS. I have the big yellow buffer out of the other car but can't find one in mine. Is mine built in the computer? If so, how do I tap into it and what wires??? I'd appreciate ANY help. TIA

------------------
'91 GTA: