Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

no power to ecm and 3 other relays

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power to ecm and 3 other relays

exactly as the title says.

the strange thing is, this problem seems to be intermitent. i can start the car fine, drive it around for a few minutes just fine, then next thing i know im stuck on the side of the road with a car that wont start.

when the car was dead, i used a test light to see if i was getting power to the fuel pump/fuel pump relay and there was none. checked the B1 terminal on the ECM, maf power and burn-off relays too and no power there either. then, a day later i checked those points again and guess what....i had power. ive looked at tons of wiring schematics and ive noticed that the main feed for the ecm and the 3 relays seem to meet at a point that i cant find. i thought it would be at the starter but i probed those connections and all seemed ok.

can anyone out there help me?

heres a link to the diagram...
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/afk/diagram.jpg
Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I'd start with checking the fuse in the weatherpack holder just off the battery and the wire itself, that is what powers all of what you just mentioned. I'd also suspect the single wire being bad somewhere before it get to the joint if everything is losing power all at once. I doubt that's much help but, that's where I'd start looking for the problem.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:00 PM

yea, my dad and i have checked the obvious and things seem to be ok but then again you never know. might be something obvious might be something thats a real PITA. oh well, hopefully someone will be able to help me
Old 09-27-2002, 10:09 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
The only reason I suspest the wire leading to the solder joint where the wire splits to the relays/ECM is because you made it sound as if you tested for power at all points at the same time. If all points were to lose power all at once, the main wire to the joint/union would be the most suspect (IMO only).
Sometimes wires can corrode/break within the insulation even though it loks alright on the outside. The best way to find the solder joint/union would be to trace the wire from the fuse holder or one of the relays. Eventually they will all lead to the same point.
Usually (I'm going from my exp.), when multiple wires are joined as such, they have a copper band around them, crimped and then soldered to assure the joint doesn't fail or become loose.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Transmission: auto
I'm no electrical guru--but have you checked your grounds? can't hurt and I know a majority of grounds can come loose or corrode over time.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:31 PM

ive checked all grounds and theyre ok.

finally traced the problem to the ecm. there seems to be a short in the ecm itself which causes all other components to fail. got a new ecm today and everything works fine.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:51 PM
SRD

DId your tach wigg out before it shut off? My car looses all power, no lights, no nothing. A few min. later it starts right up. Could an ECM short cause this?