Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

2 Q'S....fuel pump in tank and washer pump on washer fluid tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z ba boom!
Engine: V8 305 ( dont be fooled) =]
Transmission: TH-700R4 beefed up
2 Q'S....fuel pump in tank and washer pump on washer fluid tank

hi everyone. on the washer fluid tank.....i have that small little pump but the problem is i dont have a connector that plugs into the small pump thats located on the tank? there are wires thow that are kind of near the pump that are cut and taped up but i dont know if those are the wires. first i have to get that connector that was cut for some reason at a junkyard but i just need to know if anyone can tell me if those are the wires.

also my fuel pump is either stuck or a relay or switch is not working properly. the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. when i turn on the car but not start the car..., the fuel pump kicks on cause you hear that noise for a second or two and then it goes away. ok well i turned on the car and the car ran fine and the fuel pump noise went away like it normaly does....now i was playin with my audio system and stupid me tried to take off the power wire first that was hooked up to the amplifier and i got a spark...but at the same time my fuel pump kick on...STRANGE!? i thought it was nothin and now everytime i turn on my car as the car is running the fuel pump noise wont kick off and the car is idling like **** because of it!

is it possible the pump is tryin to kick over or get fuel? any suggestions and help.....thank you.

p.s. iroc-z tpi v8 1987:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 03-17-2003, 09:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Washer pump wires are red and blue (I'd have to go out and look to be positive about that).

The ECM could very well be cooked. More often than not, a stuck relay will run sonething all the time weather the key is on, off or even in the ignition. The shock could have fried the ECM (don't take that as gospel). A stuck relay would not cause a bad idle though. The fuel pump only runs at one speed, it's off or on.
The ECM is oblivious to fuel pressure as well, the 2 second run is to prime/pressurize the fuel system. Just a guess though...
Old 03-18-2003, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z ba boom!
Engine: V8 305 ( dont be fooled) =]
Transmission: TH-700R4 beefed up
ok....that sounds good. ill look at the wires to see if those are the colors or not. last resort is to go look at the the wires and see where they run to or better yet look at my friends camaro and see if i can get an idea.

the fuel pump thing is pretty hard to judge like you said but that 2 second run to prime thing stays on even after the car is running. so thats why i think the pump has stuff in it or cant get the correct amount of fuel from it.

i did have a mechanic look at it once and he is really good at doing electrical promblems and couldnt find diddly..and when he did find the problem....it was cause of my injectors. but now its the fuel pump. oh and my ecm is brand new and i even had the same problem from the last ecm so i think it cant be the ecm.

thank you for the help