Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

need help with ground

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc-z z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.42
need help with ground

ok so i bought this car and the wire for my stereo is wired on the arrow to the left. is this goood?? or should i put it like on the strut bolt area. the 2nd arrow. i would place another bolt on top of the exsisting one to hold it down also. is that good? f not what would do? thanx
Attached Thumbnails need help with ground-wat-should-i-do.jpg  
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 AM

Engine: '85 Monte SS L69 305
Transmission: TH 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: need help with ground

If the big red wire is going from a positive battery post and to the stereo, then there should be an equally big ground wire going from the negative battery post and to the stereo as well. The thin support and the thin wires by the left arrow is simply not cutting it compared to the big wire. It is also of relative importance that the head unit and the amps are grounded to the same place, as otherwise it's easy to get generator and ignition noise into the sound system. Is that a fuse on the big red wire? I hope so.. The other wiring around there seems to be in a shoddy state btw..
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27

is your system mostly stock? if so the head unit should be grounded closer to the head unit. if you do not have amps and subs and such a shorter ground path is better. if you have a "system" a short ground path should still be a concern, but having them all ground in the same place may take precedence over that*.

and like fullsize said, same size in as out. my amp actually has a bigger gage ground coming out that the power lead going in. the amp ground cable is only two feet long. it grounds to the inner fender seam weld, there is a hole in there that i tapped. (a big hole, real big)

*i'll have to admit i had never heard about grounding them all in one place until now. i have my amp grounded at the back of the car, and the deck using the stock wire harness, no alternator whine, but i do not have a big system, just enough to power a small sub to give a little more kick then my 6X9s.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.42

thats not the ground to the amps. i got a pioneer headunit, a rocksford fosgate amp pushin 2 sony 12", and another gay amp for my speakers. its a ground for idk wat but all i want is it to work right for now. secondly, i have a full charge on my battery at the end of the day. when i try to turn my car on, its dead as a doorknob. wat could be the problem besides a short. and how would i find it?