Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Huge electrical problem. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge electrical problem. Please help!!!

I was working on my 1989 GTA tonight and now I have a big problem. First I will tell you what I did and then I will tell you the problems. I changed the steering wheel and installed a new/used MAF sensor. Neither of these things caused or are causing the problem. I went to start the car and it would start and run for about 5 seconds and then quit. I then got in the car and started it. When it started I touched the gas and brought the tach up to about 2000 rpm and held it there for 5 seconds. I heard an electrical pop and the gauges and all lights went out and the car quit running. I checked the fuses and found the fuse for the gauges was blown. I replaced it and still have no gauges. I also have no head lights, turn signals, four way flashers fuel pump and many more. When I open the door the check engine light comes on very dim and when I push the button to open the trunk the check engine light comes on bright and the trunk doesn't pop. I also heard a slight beeping sound around the passanger side head light motor. I have only had the car for 2 weeks and if I let it sit for more then a day it will not start due to a dead battery. Now I know why. Tonight I had to use my battery charger to get it to start. I had it set on 50 amps. Some one before me had a stero installed but it was removed sometime before I bought the car. I removed the POS tape deck that they had installed in it to sell it and I found a rats nest. I guess some people don't believe in solder, heat shrink and a clean install. I am a diesel mechanic and a welder so you don't have to answer this problem like you are talking to a new guy. As the car sits I have disconected the battery so I won't have any issues over night and burn it to a crisp. It is parked in a garage next to a 2006 corvette C6 that I can't afford to replace. My plan is to drink as much as I can tonight and then pull the dash apart tomorow and see what the issue is. I did notice that the fuel pump sounded sick when I bought the car. When you would turn the key to run it would change pitch. It never keeps a steady tone wile it is making pressure before you start it. Any help you can all give me would be great. I will know more tomorow when I am sober and have an electrical tester in my hand.

Phil

P.S. I was sober when I was working on the car.

Last edited by Samdweezel05; 06-07-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell