Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlight Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird T-Top
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: t-5 manual
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Open
Headlight Problem!

Hey everyone, I recently put in a set of projector headlight conversions for my '91 firebird and I've been having all sorts of problems. First off, here is the kit http://www.driftnamiperformance.com/...t-lhp4x6jm.htm.
I put in new wiring harnesses for the H4 bulbs and that is the only modification to any of the wiring system I have done.
The first problem is that my indicator for my brights is on at any time the headlights are on, it switches between hi/low beam but the light stays on.
Next and probably the more serious problem is that the light output is junk! The low beams work fine but the hi-beams are very dim, and I've noticed that the engine seems to be working harder when the lights are on. The bulbs that came with the casing are 100/90W, could this just be too much draw from the car? As I have said, I have done nothing but splice in the new wiring harness for the H4 and put the assembly in the car.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Re: Headlight Problem!

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the light kit. You should probably find out exactly the model number and make of your present alternator. It sounds to me that when they state they 'fit' the certain cars they mean 'physically fit' the light housings on those vehicles. I do not see where they state what requirements are placed on the alternator and battery to support proper operation of the lights. It is possible that you might require an alternator with more output power or one that is in new condition. Maybe you have some slipping of your alternator belt when the electrical demand (electrical load) is higher.

Always triple check your wiring decisions on a project. Sometimes you get too close to a project and overlook something that would be obvious to someone that is not close to the project and sees it for the first time.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been trying to contact the supplier and manufaturer to try finding something out but neither have been much help so far. As for the wiring, i have double checked it, and my dad (who has been mechanicing for 25+ years) has also looked at it. I will try to do some more testing on the electrical system then. Thanks again
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

You need to hook them up like this if your gonna use the 90/100w bulbs

You can find premade harnesses that are lug and play if you search around the internet.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the diagram. The wire from 87A doesn't go to anywhere? I wired in the relays this afternoon, just taking power from the alternator, and it did nothing in terms of light output. The only thing the has happened was that the hi-beam indicator now works properly, and it is the high beam that is so underpowered. I can feel the relays working when i switch between hi and low beam but as i said, the lights perform just the same as they did before. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

The diagram shows that pins '87a' on both relays have no external connection. These pins are where the +12 supply voltage will 'rest' when the relays are NOT energized. At that time no lights will be on.

When you turn on the low beams only the 'low beam relay' should be the only relay that is energized.

When you turn on the high beams then BOTH relays should be energized.

One thing you can try is to completely unplug one of the new high beam bulbs then turn on the headlights and click into the 'high beam' mode. If the light from the ONE new high beam bulb looks much brighter than it did than when you have all four bulbs being illuminated then I would say you need to somehow supply more amperes to the TWO new bulbs or maybe use a lower gauge wire (thicker wire).

What size wires are being used to supply power to the new high beam headlights? What gauge wire?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

The relays that I had bought have a wire leading off of the 87A, so i was just wondering if it should be hooked anywhere special or just taped and left to the side.

I'll try unplugging one of the bulbs from the harness tonight and see if the other gets any better (its a firebird so only the 2 bulbs). The wires supplying the extra power look to be about a 12 or 14 ga wire.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Here is something to look through. It might help:

https://www.thirdgen.org/headlightupgrade
Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the link CamaroRider, i did help... I didn't realize that the H4565 and H4 wiring was different. I re-wired the plugs this afternoon and they work a lot better now. I'll get some pics tonight and post them.