Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

1992 Camaro RS WONT START!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th An.
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 Speed/ Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock
1992 Camaro RS WONT START!!

I have a 1992 Camaro RS V8 5speed
Okay so check this out people as i got home i turned off my car
but when i was going out my car didnt want to start any more. I have checked the Starter and its good. The problem is that there is no power going anywhere other then the Lights, gauges and radio..What it dose is when i turn the key NOTHING happens i dont hear any noice from the engine. I was told it could be the key Ignition that was one of the problems there was one of the wires of the key lock ripped. I bout a New one and Replaced it. But guess what it still dont start. my next guess would be the ignition switch. I also replaced it with a new one. But it STILL DONT START. IM getting frustrated. i also both the clutch switch and installed it. I have No idea what els could be why its not starting.
help.

Last edited by Jagu07; 10-02-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1 L
Transmission: auto
Re: 1992 Camaro RS WONT START!!

I have the same props, try your second key, or clean your ignitionkey with a brassbrush.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 383
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

dude, first off either use spell check or check your spelling at least a bit lol.....anyways its prol the vats still thats exactly what it does. i would trace all the wires back and make sure everything is good also check your KEY itself, does the sides with the resistors on it (best way to describe it is a tiny black box with a metal strip running through it) see if its worn down it could change the resistance or could not be making a full connection.....i had the same problem....when you start your car does a little red security light stay on it should be in the bottom right i believe could be wrong.....if so its DEFINATELY your Vats system.....you have to wait like 5 min or something before you try to start it again or it wont work
Old 10-02-2008, 03:49 PM

what if i disconnect the Vats or would that not work. cause i tried it, and nothing happens. ok i checked for the security light and yup!! it sure is on. Ok when i wait 5min. do i have to leave the key all the way turned or just befro the ignition turn. also if i install a Bypass would that work.

Last edited by Jagu07; 10-02-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1 L
Transmission: auto

...take the key out of the ignitionlock and wait 5 min., I think disconnecting would not work.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock

mine does the same sorta thing. usually if i put the key in slowly and wait about 5-10 seconds it will work. the first time that it happened I was about 20min from home in a bad part of town and i was pissed. im not sure if it is because of the same reason but one morning going to school i was braking and the car just turned off when i put in neutral. when i tried to start it that **** thing happened and I held up traffic for about 5 min. it was funny.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Oh how the years gone By so Fast!!!!!!!!!!! In 2008 my first car was a 1992 Camaro RS 25th Edt. By 2010 that car was junked due to major damage in the engine, withonly had a few years to enjoy the car. It is now 2014 and just last year i managed to find and EXACT match to my first car engine, 5speed, 25th edt. I now own my first car again, it like i never lost it. Anyways its nice to see this post and look back on what issues i was having whit out any knowledge of any kind.

I figured out my original issue, it was the ignition cylinder the two yellow cables where broken and not connected at all. A simple replacement of the cylinder was needed and it was tears of joy that came down once my engine Started Right up with out any problems!!!! lol
Old 05-09-2014, 12:45 AM

Car: 1992 RS Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

Dude you have to do a VATS Bypass. The two yellow wire under steering column are the wires you need to place a resister of the correct ohm.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 2-92 Zs blk vert & prpl
Engine: stealth ram brodix track 1 ful port
Transmission: 700r4 4l80e
Axle/Gears: iroc 375 lokr 92 Z 277 pos vert 327

NOOO!!!!! I am pretty sure yellow wires are air bag, The vats key ignition wires are usually white and orange. They are smaller wires and have a black connector where you can unplug them. Take an ohm meter and measure the resistance through the pellet in the key. Then take the same meter and go to radio shack and get a resistor with the same numerical reading. Unplug the black connector and stick the new resistor in the part of the plug going back to the ECM. I bent the wires on the resistor slightly on mine to make sure I had a good connection and then I taped it up and tucked it away. There are about fifteen different ohm values that GM used.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

Originally Posted by Jagu07
I figured out my original issue, it was the ignition cylinder the two yellow cables where broken and not connected at all. A simple replacement of the cylinder was needed and it was tears of joy that came down once my engine Started Right up with out any problems!!!! lol
glad to hear you got an exact match to your original car!, diamjim is correct that a simple vats bypass would have had you back on the road, but replacing the ignition lock cylinder technically is the proper way to fix it

good job!

Originally Posted by diamjim
Dude you have to do a VATS Bypass. The two yellow wire under steering column are the wires you need to place a resister of the correct ohm.
this is correct

Originally Posted by abray1
NOOO!!!!! I am pretty sure yellow wires are air bag, The vats key ignition wires are usually white and orange. They are smaller wires and have a black connector where you can unplug them. Take an ohm meter and measure the resistance through the pellet in the key. Then take the same meter and go to radio shack and get a resistor with the same numerical reading. Unplug the black connector and stick the new resistor in the part of the plug going back to the ECM. I bent the wires on the resistor slightly on mine to make sure I had a good connection and then I taped it up and tucked it away. There are about fifteen different ohm values that GM used.
i know in '89 the wires were yellow all the way down the column for the vats, past the connector they are orange and white to the module

either way the OP's problem was exactly what my issue was, the two yellow wires at the lock cylinder were no longer making contact(crappy design if you ask me) my solution was to bypass the vats by making a resistor key that plugs in under the dash, when i leave the car the plug leaves with me, so technically the vats is still working the way it was designed
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: Rebuilt 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

For a vats bypass you can also get a plug and play bypass from ricks camaro I think. I bought one a year ago and it worked fantastic.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 v8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 gears

My 91 Camaro is doing the same thing but the security light doesn't stay on. I just hear my starter enable relay click but I can hear my CPU click as well just shortly after I set my ignition to run. I checked my starter and have power at post and signal post when key is on. My thing is that I just installed a painless wiring harness 60103 and haven't been able to get my car to start since.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by loco823
My 91 Camaro is doing the same thing but the security light doesn't stay on. I just hear my starter enable relay click but I can hear my CPU click as well just shortly after I set my ignition to run. I checked my starter and have power at post and signal post when key is on. My thing is that I just installed a painless wiring harness 60103 and haven't been able to get my car to start since.

hummmm. well that could be the issue i'm not very familiar with installing painless wiring. you should re check everything connector by connector and check your schismatics as well. if its the same issue as the key cylinder you would not hear any noise coming from any part of the engine.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I'm having similar issues, but my security light does nothing. After digging around under the dash I found a mess of aftermarket added alarms, remote starters and stereo wires. I think I have that all successfully removed. The security light from the dash was wired to the brain box for a Viper security system. Where does the security light connect on the OEM wiring? Anybody know?