Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car won't start unless I give it the gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start unless I give it the gas

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a program and lead for a laptop to connect to the diagnostic port on a 86 Trans Am TPI to test the ECU. Why I want this is becuse I think my ecu is getting bad as the cooling fan will not come on if the car has over heated (250)f. It used to work good and keep the motor cool if I turned the AC up to max while stoped in traffic, now it only works very briefly when on max (AC is fully charged). Don't know if this matters but it has a single cooling fan. I have re newed the relay for the fan and it made no difference and when I tested the voltage that turns the relay on it only comes briefly. Another time the car would not start and I gave it the gas and then started but once I let go the gas the motor stalled. To keep the motor running I had to keep my foot on the gas. All this happeaned within a few weeks . Now most of the time to start the motor I give it the gas, Sometimes it starts with out the gas. It used to start straight away with no problem but not now . I have not had time to test my fuel pump pressure but I can hear the pump run for a few seconds when I trun on the key. There is 100000 miles on the car and all orignal. in advance for any help seggustions or web links.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Car won't start unless I give it the gas

i was having the same problem with my camaro...maybe you need to clean your fuel injectors (they are dirty)?

THIS IS SO THAT YOU CAN START YOUR CAR WITHOUT CONSTANTLY GIVING IT GAS!!!