Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fuel Level Gauge Wiring, Could Somebody Trace Something For Me....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Fuel Level Gauge Wiring, Could Somebody Trace Something For Me....

Hey guys, pulled the Camaro out of the garage, and decided to fix the fuel level gauge problem. W/the key on, the needle in the gauge immediately points "up", and stays that way until the key is turned off. From the fuel tank forward, all three wires are prevalent, but when they reach up by the kick panel next to the fuse box, one is allegedly missing in action. I provided some pictures to help see what I'm referring to, as all three (Black, Pink, Light Brown) lean into a black connector from the bottom, but when they come up out from the other side, the Light Brown one is no longer there....

Here is where they all lead to the Black connector, the wire is second from the right, on top (Light Brown);

Name:  100_0090.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  123.3 KB

.... here is the other side, the Light Brown wire/terminal is no longer there;

Name:  100_0091.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  124.0 KB

Can anyone tell me where that wire leads. Thanks guys....

-Rob
Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: Fuel Level Gauge Wiring, Could Somebody Trace Something For Me....

Could i tbe that the lighting makes the wire look brown? It should be tan with a white stripe (at least according to GM).
Don't worry about the wire, it's not supposed to go to the dash. It goes through the firewall to the fuel pump relay, It's what powers the fuel pump.

The pink wire is what carries the fuel level signal.
0 ohms at empty
90 othms at full

Hope thish helps.
Lou
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks Lou, it definitely helped! Yes, the wire is tan/white, but the picture makes it look brown, and I didn't want to cause any possible confusion. That of course would make sense then, as to why it just cuts off like that, because the car was originally an LG4, w/no fuel pump relay lol. Gonna check the signal wire out, then the cluster itself. Thanks again....

-Rob
Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 camaro z28
Engine: 355 sbc what else
Transmission: TH 350 manual vb/ 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 4:30 on the street

not sure if this will help, but is your gauge stock or aftermarket? i am going to guess and say stock and if that is the case first check the tank sending unit with a multi- meter. with the multi- meter set on ohm it should read between 0 and 90 ohm as stated by bigbabylou, knowing how much gas you have in the tank will help or you can just fill ur up. anyway if it reads at or between those numbers your gauge in the dash may be junk. you may have already done this but i had a similiar prob. with my auto meter and this is how their tech guy told me to find out where the problem was.

also if memory serves me right the pos. and neg. of your meter need to contact on both wires running to the gauge to have this work correctly, so in your case it would be black and pink, that is how i believe it is done that way you complete the sending unit curcuit

hope it helps and good luck