Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Bypass Security System on 91 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Security System on 91 Camaro

I purchased a 91 RS Camaro 305 V8 TBI that caught fire and burnt wiring harness under hood. Have replaced complete wiring harness and all other components under hood that were damaged due to fire by using parts from other 91 camaros. The camaro I purchased was sold without a "chipped key". I have tried another ignition with a chipped key but car still will not turn over or start. I need information on what has to be done in order to bypass the chipped key security to make car turn over and run. Please help with any information or location of components needed to resolve the problem. As I am not very familiar with the 91 camaro and their security systems, all I know is I have everything new in it to run but just need the technology to start it. So does anyone have any input? Please Help!!

Last edited by upanddownal56; 10-28-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: aluminum block 5.3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear 4:10 welded
Re: Bypass Security System on 91 Camaro

you can try putting the PATS (passive anti-theft system) lock cylinder and key back in abn also install the pats control module that came from the same car the lock cylinder came from. it looks like a little computer. that way the key is putting the correct resistance to the module to allow it to crank. that module should be hidden way behind the dashboard on the passenger side. like remove the dashboard hidden. All the "chip" is in the key is a resistor and the resistance is vehicle specific, that is what makes it not start other vehicles the pats control module wont enable crank if the resistance does not match. hope this helps
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Read the thread from 10-26 titled "VATS resistor value". It has all the resistor values listed. Rest assured once you satisfy the PATs or VATS module it will start.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Absolute easiest thing is like said above - get the resistance values off that thread, go to radio shack and buy one each resistor, follow the vats guide under the tech articles section off the main page here and put in the resistors one by one until you find the one that allows the car to start. Then you know the resistor value - you can either solder that resistor in and be done with vats, or go to ACE hardware and have a key cut for your ignition with that value chip for $25 and keep using the vats.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 PM

I'm just curious if anyone could give me some advice on bypassing the VATS on my 91 Camaro. I just changed the lock cylinder out a couple of weeks ago and now I'm havin the problem again. The code is bringin back 46 but the security light isn't on. The engine won't even try to turn over. Greatly appreciate any advice
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac GTA Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 v8
Transmission: Automatic

I know this thread is old.. and I am completely new to thirdgen.org and honestly have no idea how to post and/or use it! I have a 91 GTA Trans-Am with the 5.7v8 automatic. About a week ago my VATS system was by-passed by a mechanic and apparently he left a second lock cylinder (with a second key) under the dash to by-pass it and 3 days later my car "arked" in the steering column and caused a fire under the hood. Nothing severely damaged, but just wondering could his work cause that to happen, not to mention about ten minutes before this happened i lost 3rd and 4th gear it would shift out of second and just rev as if it were in neutral! If anybody could give me their two cents on this I would greatly appreciate it as I am now stuck and completly just lost at what to do! I have a new in column lock cylinder and one under the dash now.. please private message me with any info as like i stated before im not entirely sure how to use this site just yet haha Thank you in advance!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 PM

Car: 2 camaros, 1992 v6 /1984 350
Engine: 350 with holly carb swap to sniper
Transmission: Both are auto 700r4 both 1992
Axle/Gears: unknown

Originally Posted by RockaRS
I'm just curious if anyone could give me some advice on bypassing the VATS on my 91 Camaro. I just changed the lock cylinder out a couple of weeks ago and now I'm havin the problem again. The code is bringin back 46 but the security light isn't on. The engine won't even try to turn over. Greatly appreciate any advice

me too i put a new cylinder in and now its not working again!
Any help?!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 666 Likes on 590 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

You can measure the key resistance. With the key in the cylinder you will have the same resistance at the bottom of the column. If that checks out ok it's a passkey module issue . You can use a hz modulator to bypass it or have it tuned out of the computer.