Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Hatch pull down motor problem * 5/29/10 update motor fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch pull down motor problem * 5/29/10 update motor fixed!

I was at work yesterday and closed my trunk....then a minute later I hear the motor still going. I had to take apart the back and unplug the motor. My real question is, Is this something I can fix or do I need to just buy a new one and not bother? I've tried completely unplugging it and plugging it back in and the second I do it just starts going again. Sounds like it is still trying to pull down the trunk even though it, itself, is already all the way down. I can't get the trunk to lock in because of it ..(the day it started to rain). The motor brand new is 47.95 but if there's an easy fix I would sure appreciate some help.

Last edited by Tragic_Hero; 05-30-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up
Re: Hatch pull down motor problem

You probably just need to adjust it. There's two limit switches that are tripped when the body of the unit moves up and down. It takes some fiddling. If you're skinny 'nuff to get inside the hatch you can loosen the 3 (I think) bolts holding the unit until you get it to "click" the limit switch when the hatch is fully closed. If you don't get it right the motor will continue to run until it strips the plastic gears (don't ask me how I know that). I always keep one of the plastic gears just in case. They're about $2 at the wreckers.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM

appreciate it. I found the top limit switch the bottom isn't so easy. It's raining right now (still) so I'm going to have to wait till saturday to mess with it. I swear my car should be a meteorologist because it breaks down somehow every time it rains.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Ok update... I pulled out the whole unit to take in the house. When I was trying to get to the relay switch I noticed the guides were brittle and breaking it apart. Could this be my problem? My thought is if the guides aren't functioning it could be stopping it from lowering all the way. I didn't let the motor run constantly so it the plastic gears shouldn't be stripped right? I found the guides online for 25 dollars but I also found a complete rebuild kit (which also includes the guides) for 100 dollars without shipping. I want to go the cheapest route but wanted opinions. Should i try and save the money because this is almost definitely my problem or should I just take care of all of it?

Side note* Im aware that if I have to ask which tool to use I shouldn't be doing the project, but I can't remove the whole relay switch because the hardware has a special bolt and I don't know how to remove it. It's the only piece that connects the motor unit to the hardware bolted to the car. It also pivots if that helps.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6 Soon to be 3.4 :D
Transmission: Auto 4-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Keep Us Updated and definitely gets some pics, i have a similar problem with mine.
Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: Hatch pull down motor problem * update more questions

Originally Posted by Tragic_Hero
I was at work yesterday and closed my trunk....then a minute later I hear the motor still going. I had to take apart the back and unplug the motor. My real question is, Is this something I can fix or do I need to just buy a new one and not bother? I've tried completely unplugging it and plugging it back in and the second I do it just starts going again. Sounds like it is still trying to pull down the trunk even though it, itself, is already all the way down. I can't get the trunk to lock in because of it ..(the day it started to rain). The motor brand new is 47.95 but if there's an easy fix I would sure appreciate some help.

You need a new gearnut & guides.

TDS 109111 (Gearnut): $7.95
TDS 101170 (Aftermarket nylon guides): 24.25

Also check out the Tech Article I wrote that is posted here on TGO:

https://www.thirdgen.org/tech/hatchpulldown.pdf

Lon Salgren
Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM

that is a great guide but its not connected with a torque...I'll try and attach a photo so you can see what I'm dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails Hatch pull down motor problem * 5/29/10 update motor fixed!-photo.jpg   Hatch pull down motor problem * 5/29/10 update motor fixed!-photo2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

The picture on the left you posted shows the push nut. It just pops off with a flat-blade screwdriver or putty knife. If you're carefull you'll be able to re-use it. I supply a new one with the afrtermarket guides.

The 86-87 pull-down units use a bolt requiring a T50 Torx tip to remove.

Lon Salgren
Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM

I started to do so with a flat-head screwdriver earlier
but i figured safer to ask first. Thanks for everything, I'm going to purchase the stuff now.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Ok...eons later. I reassembled everything today with the gear nut, guides, and what not. I plugged everything back in and.....nothing. The motor wasn't making a peep. I sanded the guides and they seem to glide pretty easily. Unlike last time however, when I tried to plug in the wire harness to the other single wire connect I got sparks. I grounded the wire harness before but it was still happening. The motor itself become REALLY hot fast. Is the spark a ground issue? I went ahead and bought a new motor because I'm pretty sure I broke it myself (woops). Should i sand the guides a little more or what for the new motor. So many questions so little time. It was a long process today but now I have gotten pretty intimate with the hatchback-full-assembly.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 AM

Re: Hatch pull down motor problem * 5/23/10 update more questions

....case closed. Got in the new motor today and it is up and running...turns out the threading on the motor was different. The older motor wasn't meeting up with the grooves on the new gear which kept it from turning the gear. Hatchback motor is up and running.