Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

No Crank from the key..... HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
No Crank from the key..... HELP!!!!

Ok so i replaced the remote solenoid for my starter since it was shot, and got a new battery, now my key wont start the freaking car.... last night i went to start the car and it just made a loud CLICK and all the power went away, i tapped my old remote solenoid and my voltmeter popped back to 12 volts so i figured my solenoid was sticking and draining the battery, after replacing both the solenoid and the battery i turn the key and nothing happens! i hear the ignition switch click as the rod moves and nothing else.... no power loss, no click nada.

Tested the ignition switch, probed the yellow wire on the vats relay - 12 volts with key turned

Tested the NSS, probed the yellow and purple wire - 12 volts at both with key on/turned

VATS is not the issue here, i bypassed it a while back and its still working, and the security light isnt coming on, plus i wouldnt be able to ghetto start the car if VATS was a problem

Heres the kicker, i can jump the terminals on the solenoid and get the starter to run, i can also connect one of the terminals to the positive directly and get it started but the key isnt turning the starter.... so for now until this gets figured out i have to put the the key in, put it in the run position and jump the solenoid to crank it over and it will start, not my favorite way to do things

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME????
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 lsd
Re: No Crank from the key..... HELP!!!!

which solenoid are you using? have you verified if all terminals are attached to the correct post after swapping? just a thought
Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...artNumber=S602

borg warner solenoid, positive that its hooked up right, theres 12V at the side, 0 at the other, and when the key is turned the top terminal gets 12v, which is supposed to engage it, i thought i hooked it up wrong so i fiddled with the terminals, switched them around, and then i put the old one back in its place, rewired it like it was and still no key crank, which is odd becase it would attempt to crank last night but i couldnt even get it to do that, ive been starting it with the side post that reads 0, going straight to the positive battery post.

are there any fusible links between the ignition switch and the starter?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 lsd

On that solenoid, you will need to ground the other small terminal, other designs will ground through the case(it basically acts as a heavy duty relay). Are you you getting a cranking signal on the wire from the start switch? There are links that go from B+ to the ignition switch as well as other systems
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

really?! wow... ill give that a shot, i gotta get it to work tomorrow cuz all my tools are there now, when i probed the ignition switch i got 12V at pink and red constant, and 12V on the yellow wire when i turned the key to the crank position, it didnt occur to me because the other solenoid i had on there had a 4th terminal as well but it was never hooked up

i also got 12V at the VATS relay that comes from the ignition switch also a yellow wire and where would i find the links/see if theyre shot? i know they get crunchy and hard but all my wires are stiff at this point
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Ok so just as an update I hooked up a ground to it this morning and it turned over right away thanks for the info squirted1 I didn't even think of grounding it cuz the old one had 3 wires but like you said the case was grounding it