Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

crazy gauges !

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner rear axle 2.77
crazy gauges !

hey fellas!
ok! this is whats up, hopefully there are some gauge mastas here!

well there are 3 minor gauge "bugs" I'm getting,

the first if the fuel needle shoots all the way to the top and stays there, like pointing strait up regardless of how much fuel, luckily(knock on Camaro louvers!) it hasn't done this in months and is reading accurate(as a floater reader can!). is it the sensor the gauge? i will let it be for now.

2. when the blinker is on some of the needles go up and down slightly to the beat of the blinker!! lol is that normal and if not what causes such chaos ?!

3. the annoying one.... the coolant/water temp gauge used to just go hay wire, so i got and after market one and mounted it under my vents, after a year or so, i got the "everything must look and function stock" bug, it bit me hard! so i tossed it out and bought a new temp sending unit and a new connector for the green wire, hooked both up and to my surprise the needle was moved up with the temp and wasnt jumping up and down like a mad man! awesome, i thought it was the gauge before. but when i got to temp it dropped and died! fudge! so every time i drive when it gets to a certain temp it craps out, i was thinking the green wire is getting to hot by the manifold? nut other times it works just fine all day, it even worked when i over heated pretty bad due to the fans not kicking on due to another wire issue(fixed that one.). so it kinda threw that theory out the window. so is any of this an easy fix or should i look into getting a new circuit board?! thanks in advance!

-shane
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71
Re: crazy gauges !

Originally Posted by 89shane350
hey fellas!
ok! this is whats up, hopefully there are some gauge mastas here!

well there are 3 minor gauge "bugs" I'm getting,

the first if the fuel needle shoots all the way to the top and stays there, like pointing strait up regardless of how much fuel, luckily(knock on Camaro louvers!) it hasn't done this in months and is reading accurate(as a floater reader can!). is it the sensor the gauge? i will let it be for now.

2. when the blinker is on some of the needles go up and down slightly to the beat of the blinker!! lol is that normal and if not what causes such chaos ?!

3. the annoying one.... the coolant/water temp gauge used to just go hay wire, so i got and after market one and mounted it under my vents, after a year or so, i got the "everything must look and function stock" bug, it bit me hard! so i tossed it out and bought a new temp sending unit and a new connector for the green wire, hooked both up and to my surprise the needle was moved up with the temp and wasnt jumping up and down like a mad man! awesome, i thought it was the gauge before. but when i got to temp it dropped and died! fudge! so every time i drive when it gets to a certain temp it craps out, i was thinking the green wire is getting to hot by the manifold? nut other times it works just fine all day, it even worked when i over heated pretty bad due to the fans not kicking on due to another wire issue(fixed that one.). so it kinda threw that theory out the window. so is any of this an easy fix or should i look into getting a new circuit board?! thanks in advance!

-shane

Due to the length of the post and me jumping in my seat to tell you this (sorry) I did not read it all. But It sounds like you have a ground issue in the dash. Check to make sure all the grounds going to the dash are good, as well as the contacts are clean and making good contact.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Car: 1990 Mazda B2600i Cab Plus L98 Swap
Engine: 5.7 TPI, LT1 cam, 24 lb. Inj.
Transmission: BowTie Overdrives Level 2 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.909

I had a similar problem years back.
Mine did all that and headlights sometimes flickered too.
As it turns out, I had a bad chassis ground.
I fixed the 10 ga. wire from the negative battery cable to the fender well and all was good.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner rear axle 2.77

Originally Posted by Recaro trans am
Due to the length of the post and me jumping in my seat to tell you this (sorry) I did not read it all. But It sounds like you have a ground issue in the dash. Check to make sure all the grounds going to the dash are good, as well as the contacts are clean and making good contact.
(this is my first multi quote!) its ok you didn't read it all, when i get to typing i cant stop! so the grounds in the dash, do i have to take it out to see them or are they all wires going to a ground under the dash or something?!

Originally Posted by SinCityLocal
I had a similar problem years back.
Mine did all that and headlights sometimes flickered too.
As it turns out, I had a bad chassis ground.
I fixed the 10 ga. wire from the negative battery cable to the fender well and all was good.
ok, i think this might help alot also! so just strip the end off and crimp on a connector (like the circle one or the fork looking one.) and bolt it to any bolt on the inner fender or is there a special one made for it? i always wondered what that wire was for!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71

You have to remove the gauge cluster, and then the lower kick panel, check to make sure the grounds are good. Could just be a loose contact.

SinCitylocal Has a good point as well. It would not be a bad idea to add an engine ground. Go from the back of the cylinder head to the chassis. Also check the ground from the battery, depending on the engine you have it either goes to the intake, head or smog pump bolt. Just make sure it is somewhere on the engine, and clean. There is usually a small 10gauge wire the comes off the battery terminal that goes right to the front core support and is head in place with a 10mm bolt.