Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Blower and A/C Issue 87 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 305ci 4 barrel Edelbrock carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Blower and A/C Issue 87 IROC

I have seen some strange things in my day but this one takes the cake. Here is the senario, Just got done with a head up restoration, new heads intake and carb. Everything back together drove the car twice without running A/C But did run blower or fan to circulate air. Next day i tightened the belt on the compressor and charged a/c, i noticed when the compressor was cycling on and off the fan/blower was cycling with it. Then everything stopped. Now the blower/fan does not work. There is a relay mounted near eveaporator housing along with a blower motor resistor. The motor does run i verified, I have power to the relay, the coil is good when i manually make the contacts i have 12v to ground on the purple power wire but only .02 vdc between the black ground and purple power wire. The fan will not run when i push rellay contacts together I don't know if the problem is in the relay or further back. Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 305ci 4 barrel Edelbrock carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Blower and A/C Issue 87 IROC

Guys, Wanted to pass along what i found to be the problem with the a/c system. After searching and checking all wiring i checked the high pressure switch on the high pressure line it was bad. Once i put a jumper in the plug the blower ran as well as the a/c. I will drop a new pressure switch in it and be back to normal. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.