Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

new car, have some questions! Help! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 ci Carb
Transmission: 5speed
new car, have some questions! Help! :-)

ok so i picked up a 92 RS camaro today. has a 350 c.i. swap, carb swap, 5speed manual, t tops, white with red interior

So...My problem right now. None of the gauges work except the speedo and volts. He put an aftermarket Oil PSI gauge, water temp, and volts, and sun pro tach in it.
It sure would be nice to have a FUEL Gauge!
Fuse is ok in the fuse block. It appears all factory wiring has been left in place and not even chopped into.

Is there a way to test to see if the sending unit is bad without having to rip the tank out? ANYTHING else be causing the factory gase gauge, water temp, and oil psi not to work??
Help!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: new car, have some questions! Help! :-)

I went the same route and just put in aftermarkets, you can test the gauges individually (search should shed some light on how) as for the gas gauge mine never worked right I was either full, half or empty lol I just cut the wire on the cluster and put my new gauge in a pod from summit, to test the sending unit youre pretty much gonna have to rip the tank down, I hate to say it but thats about the only way because you have to test the ohm range on it, it should transition between 0 and 90 in order thats about the only way, check under the carpet behind the backseat, it might be cut if they did a carb swap

Check yo make sure the cluster is seated properly, gm wasnt really thinking with this setup the plugs dont clip in, they seat in plastic in the dash and you just push the cluster in and its got 2 10mm nuts holding it in, in a perfect world it would work but I dont have the luxury of living in such a world lol ive found its better to set the cluster in and reach up to put the connectors in thecluster, then seat it

Hope that helps
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks for that! that helps some.
Now that i've had time to work on it...Here's what i've found out
#1 its not a 350 as stated it is indeed a 305 with a carb swap.
also, they DID cut an "access" hole in the trunk and they've been messing with the wires on the tank. They had thew gray wire (Fuel pump +) looped past the connector, ground was frayed like they tried to splice into it for some reason, and the purple wire (fuel gage) had sliced insulation as well. I fixed all that, but left the GRAY wire cut off (has an aftermarket fuel pump under the hood).
So after that i went to the fuse box/cluster area. There are 2 small GREEN wires cut under the dash. not sure exactly but my guess is that sould be water temp?
Hard to find the purple wire for the gas gage, but the ppl wires and pink/black wires i found seem to be in good condition.
There is also 2 connectors underneath disconnected. One, i thought, went to the fuse box but it doesnt. it has a thick green wire, orange, and orange/black wire on it. The other, has a red wire, pink, black, and gray wires in it. they've spliced into the gray wire for some reason with a red one, still trying to trace where it goes.
Any idea what these 2 connectors are used for??
I'm going out now to take the cluster out and see what's going on behind it.....
I will update after i have everything out and looked at it...

Thanks again :-)

what do you guys think, overall, of this car? Good find??
Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 PM

OK so here is what i found out so far...
i have resistance measured within spec on the wire coming from the tank for the gas gage. BUT stil the gage does not work.
also, when they converted it to carb they removed the relays on the firewall, the fuse for the ECU in the passenger fender area, they also left the stock FI fuel filter, and installed an aftermarket pump for carb conversions with it's own fuel filter. Could i be seeing driveability issues with this?
Also found the carb gasket is leaking some. fixing that today :-)