Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Where's this goto? ecm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Where's this goto? ecm?

I'm removing the entire harness, and I found a loom that goes along the passenger side of the car. I'm guessing it's to the computer, as I read they are somewhere on the passenger side of the car? My question is....how do I access it, because my car is on 4 jackstands, and as you can see in the second picture, I don't have much room to work with lol.

Wire loom

I'm 6'3" 285lbs...that door barely opens with the space allotted. lol
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86' IROC-Z....and 5 other 3rdgens
Engine: 383 hsr
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23, 10bolt
Re: Where's this goto? ecm?

yes thats the ecm harness. you access it from the inside kick panel. unplug it from the ecm, undo the tabs from the plastic block that locks to the inner body and pull it up through that hole. some people have to pull the plastic wheel well sheild off and fish it out that way since the plastic block is kind of bulky to fit up through that little hole where the harness disappears in the engine bay
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Ah ****, well I removed the plastic wheel well off, and this what I have.

Now normally I would go crazy and start prying/experimenting with this, but I want to keep the harness perfectly intact so I sell it to someone.
So how do I separate this from the other side so I can pull it through?

Also here's a harness from pocket....where the hell does this go (clear connector)? IT was labelled C20....and I couldn't read the last number. It was either 0, 1 or 7.

Anddd finally, I have that harness from pocket, but it seems I have a huge bundle of wires going into my dash to the top left....
Do I cut these and solder the new wires in from pocket's harness.....or do I have to completely disassemble my dash. lol

This is the new harness going where the harness is currently in the picture above. There are wires hanging for the speedometer...... x-box? and something else.

Last edited by Sick92; 01-10-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86' IROC-Z....and 5 other 3rdgens
Engine: 383 hsr
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23, 10bolt

go in from the kick panel (other side of the bulky black part as seen from wheel well) and there will be a couple push tabs. just push them in and push it out. and that clear connector should plug into these two black connectors that hang down from the dash right above the pcm.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

First off the 84's pinout may cause issues with a few of your gauges, but since it has a separate fuseblock it should still power up and run the engine

Next, to get the TBI harness out, pull the pass inner fender and drop the ECM. In your pic, there is a brown wad of foam, the C207 is inside of that, unplug it. Now near the fender grommet is a plastic C-clip, pull it out and pinch the retainer tabs. Large channel locks and a flathead help. Push the harness through. Now pull it up be the HVAC box. You have to rotate the grommet just right to pass by the blower motor. You should be able to handle the rest

The loose wire from the swap harness are for Cable-X. Its an electronic to mechanical driver box for older cars, those wires power it up. Your 91 will already have an electric speedo, so a quick change needs to happen. Find the buffer box near the ECM. IIRC its on the dash frame right next to the ECM on camaros. It is either yellow or cream colored. From the Cable-X bundle, locate the wire tagged speedo, and insert it into the buffer connector C, a spade terminal will work. Buffer box can be removed permanently and the other wires from the Cable-x bundle ignored

Im sure there will be more issues and questions so feel free to post up here or PM me
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pocket
First off the 84's pinout may cause issues with a few of your gauges, but since it has a separate fuseblock it should still power up and run the engine

Next, to get the TBI harness out, pull the pass inner fender and drop the ECM. In your pic, there is a brown wad of foam, the C207 is inside of that, unplug it. Now near the fender grommet is a plastic C-clip, pull it out and pinch the retainer tabs. Large channel locks and a flathead help. Push the harness through. Now pull it up be the HVAC box. You have to rotate the grommet just right to pass by the blower motor. You should be able to handle the rest

The loose wire from the swap harness are for Cable-X. Its an electronic to mechanical driver box for older cars, those wires power it up. Your 91 will already have an electric speedo, so a quick change needs to happen. Find the buffer box near the ECM. IIRC its on the dash frame right next to the ECM on camaros. It is either yellow or cream colored. From the Cable-X bundle, locate the wire tagged speedo, and insert it into the buffer connector C, a spade terminal will work. Buffer box can be removed permanently and the other wires from the Cable-x bundle ignored

Im sure there will be more issues and questions so feel free to post up here or PM me

Thank you pocket, I appreciate your time and expertise. =)
I usually like to take my time and study things the first time, that way I don't destroy anything, and will always remember what to do in the future.

I will work on this and let you know what happens.