Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Autometer swap

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Autometer swap

I'm finally thinking about swapping out my OEM gauges to Autometers. I've been slowly picking them up on eBay when I see them over the past 5+ years.

I haven't decided on the Speedometer style I like yet. I bought the Ultra Lite Speedo/Tach Combo. I'm still not in love with it yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-6587/media/images

I thought it would have more of a white face in the picture to match my other Phantom gauges. Yes, I know Phantoms have speedometers but they are not digital. I'm really interested in having a digital speedometer. I usually like needle type gauges, but something about have a 0-160 needle that will see 55-65 MPH almost all the time just seems like a waste. It looked like it might hard to tell the exact speed as I wasn't a big fan of the small ticks for MPH. The normal 0-160 MPH Phantom 5" has been done a lot and I wanted something more unique.

If I decide to keep the Ultra Lite I might paint the bezel black to match it more to the Phantoms.

Do I actually need to keep the ECM after I go to an aftermarket electric Speedo?

I'm running carb now, but I do have VATS still. I'm running the fuel pump on a run hot to the relay currently. The car also has all the standard VSS for a '90. I'm running TC lockup off a vacuum switch. I still have an intact harness that is tucked away into the fender opening. The ignition system is entirely MSD (distributor, coil, box, etc).

Opinions on if it's going to look odd having a 3 3/8" Ultra Lite speedo/tach combo next to my 5" Phantom tach with light then having the rest as Phantom gauges?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5899/media/images

Has anyone figured out a way to adjust the odometer without sending it into Autometer?

If I do the swap I want to set the new speedometer to read the original's mileage. I think of the miles as badge of honor being up here where rust will frequently eat cars.

So to sum up currently looking at going to 3 3/8" Digital Ultra Lite Speedo/Tach, 5" Phantom needle Tach, and 2 1/16" Phantom needle gauges. Gauges include fuel pressure (mounted on hood), water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, fuel level, trans temp, narrowband A/F, and probably a few more that I can't remember.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Re: Autometer swap

Since one is analog and one is digital I dont think it will be too weird. i dont like the look of the digital stuff but I think your reasoning is sound. I would probably go with your first instincts on it though. Most people who see your car are going only be taking in first impressions. If all you care about is your own opinion, that's fine, but if you're not sold on it I think thats the biggest indicator. When it comes to appearance mods, I try to go with my initial gut instinct. You can trick yourself into thinking all kinds of ridiculous things look good if you have money and time invested, you know.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Autometer swap

Originally Posted by fireturd350
Do I actually need to keep the ECM after I go to an aftermarket electric Speedo?
The car also has all the standard VSS for a '90.
On a SD TPI swap into a '56 Belair I did using your '730 ECM we were able to use the raw VSS signal straight
from the VSS to the aftermarket speedo ( while keeping the signal to the ECM for it's purposes )
so it would depend on what input ( pulse / mile ) the Autometer will take.
Most aftermarket ones accept a wide range and you just calibrate the speedo with a GPS

In the '730 TPI ECM setup ,the VSS signal goes to the ECM first , then is outputted to the speedo itself