Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

dead speedo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead speedo

ok here it is, 86 TA tpi, everything is stock, the problem has been there since i got the car. the speedo is dead, all the other gauges work, the car has cruse also, and it works. when i turn the car off the speedo jumps , then comes back to 0. my car has the electronic sensor in the trans (700r4), not the cable. i also cant find any schematics or diagrams for the wiring (i have the chiltons and hanes manuals , both just show cables) is there any common problems with the sending unit in the trans,or wiring that anyone knows of? anyone seen this before? thanks.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Electric speedo's are driven by a small electric motor. It's a possibility that after 16 years of faithful duty, it finally went into retirement.

If your cruise is working & you're not getting a Check Engine light, your VSS is most likely fine.

You may want to pop your cluster out & test the motor on your speedo. If the motor works by jumping 12v to it, then there's a chance of a short in the power. Or, someone could have a better idea of where to start for you.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:54 AM

hey thanks, thats better than i've gotten so far, actually i tried to pull some codes out the other day and found the ses light is burnt out (it's still a project car so i 'm not driving it yet or i would have noticed) so i have to pull the cluster anyway, i didnt know about the motor for the speedo so i guess i'll try it when i get there. i talked to a guy yesterday that said something about the wires in a connector near the sensor like to get coroded and /or pull out of the connector he said it happened to 2 of his third gens, so i guess i'll look there too, ever heard of that? thanks for the info!
Old 12-26-2001, 10:53 PM

if you have a dmm you might also check the vss buffer/DRAC module for input from the vss and output to the speedo motor. '86 model might be a part of th instrument cluster or possibly seperate. if seperate it will be a white plastic case approx. 2x2" wth one plug with lik 6 wires. located behind the dash between the dash and cem. i should have the factory manual at work. i'll gt you th schematics if you ned them.