Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn Signal Issues (Already searched forums)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: V6 awaiting 305 swap
Transmission: 700R4
Turn Signal Issues (Already searched forums)

Car: 1988 Camaro 2.8l VIN S
Issue: Turn signals not working.

I have replaced the turn signal switch/lever, the flasher under the dash, and all fuses that I know of are working. All lights on outside of car do work. The other functions on the lever work (hi-beams, wipers, cruise control) but it will not turn on the signals. What else can I do to diagnose and fix the problem?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5
Re: Turn Signal Issues (Already searched forums)

Is this an issues that just started or did you just recently get the car and they weren't working?

If they were working before and suddenly they are not, I would try and look more towards either light bulbs/connections and fuses. I know you said you checked them but sometimes it's easy to overlook one. When you say lights are coming on, when you turn your turn signal on, do all the lights on the proper side light up and just not flash?

If one of the turn signal bulbs/connections isn't working properly, it will mess up the way the lights turn on. The running lights in the front (that have the front signal lights) have TWO functions. One is that they turn on when the lights are on, and the other is the actual flash of the turn signal. The running light function could still be working, but potentially the turn signal circuit of the bulb got messed up. Either way, I would take a closer look at each of the 6 bulbs for the turn signal lights (two in front, one on each front fender, and two in the rear).

Also, when you said switch/lever, did you just replace the lever coming out of the column, or did you replace the assembly inside the wheel itself? I can't recall the name of actual "switch" inside the wheel, but that may be the culprit also (they don't often go bad though, mine went "bad" because a previous owner messed it up.)

To access this switch, you need to rent a steering wheel installer kit because you have to take the wheel off and dig in a slight bit to find the switch. Taking the wheel off should be easy, but installing it is pretty much impossible without the help of the installer tool.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:00 PM

When the switch is pulled down, as if I wanted to activate the left signal, it does not latch, the lights on the outside of the car don't respond at all, and the dashboard arrows do not light up. I only replaced the lever out of the column, did not attempt to change the assembly inside the column.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by Alex Fields
When the switch is pulled down, as if I wanted to activate the left signal, it does not latch, the lights on the outside of the car don't respond at all, and the dashboard arrows do not light up. I only replaced the lever out of the column, did not attempt to change the assembly inside the column.
Unfortunately, the lever has nothing to do with the turn signals other than as a tool to actuate the turn signal switch under the steering wheel.

The lever not "latching" may be an indicator (no pun intended) that something mechanical is amiss with the turn signal switch.

You mentioned that you replaced the flasher. Are you sure you replaced the flasher for the turn signals and not the one for the hazards?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5

These are the two things I think you should inspect/replace:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1219&ppt=C0039

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2100&ppt=C0039

The cancellation cam goes into the switch, and they are both inside the steering wheel column right under the wheel. Once the wheel is taken off, they should be the first thing you see.

If the turn signal doesn't lock at all, your cancellation cam may be missing/broken, or the springs on the switch may be gone.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: l98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373s

While you are at the store, borrow one of these.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+wheel+pullers
The lock plate c clip is a beast to replace without it.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 AM

Going to take apart the wheel tomorrow, 10/26. I did double check that I replaced the flasher for the turn signals, which was held up under the dash with a wire plugged on to it. The hazard flasher was behind the OBD port, which I unplugged, checked the hazards (they didnt turn on), then replaced and checked again (hazards came on). One guy gave me a small metal piece, that he said might have been missing. I unfortunately dont remember what he called it.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:58 PM

By any chance does ur rear turning lights stay on mine stay on when car is off and I can't figure out why and then when u put the right turn signal on it doesn't blink but blinks the gages and service engine light !!!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:16 PM

I found the problem- the turn signal switch was cracked and broken in several places, meaning that when I moved the lever, it just flexed the plastic, not actually engaging the system. Replaced the switch, and it works fine.

87firebird96, I don't have that problem, but it sounds more like an electrical problem. Check the fuses, flasher under the dash, and connections at the light. That's all I can think of.