Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fuel pump wiring mess!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: Automatic
Fuel pump wiring mess!

Hello again guys,
Im trying to diagnose a no-start condition on my new thirdgen, a 1988 2.8L MPFI camaro.
I have spark and enough compression for it to run (haven't checked)
But the fuel pump Will Not prime upon turning the key to "on" however applying 12v to the G terminal in the ALDL yields the hum of a functional fuel pump.
Now heres where things get confusing for me, i managed to find the fuel pump relay and its corresponding inline fuse (i think i found it) because when i checked the fuse where this one is supposed to go i found a 30amp fuse where the 20amp should have been, so i replaced it with the correct fuse. Anyways the car used to have some aftermarket security system so there are jumbles of unknown wires going everywhere. However despite all this the car did run a couple months ago before i bought it. So i found a helpful thread on here, i'll add the link once i find it ( https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...ump-relay.html ) and i found the fuel pump relay which has 2 orange wires, 1 black/white, 1 green/white, and 1 tan/white, as i understand it 1 orange is for battery power, the black is the ground, the green is the signal from the ecm, and the tan is the fuel pump wire. Okay so heres where my problem starts, apparently I am supposed to have 12 volts from the orange wire with the key "on", however i only get 0.54 volts, and ive grounded the orange on different parts of the car so the ground wire is fine, then i tested the inline fuse further down the line and it only recieves 0.09volts of power, and the green/white wire had no reading at any given time. and i am stumped here. The thread here said to test for 12v at terminal A1 on the ECM, however i couldnt figure out how to do that at all, so i am stuck now, hopefully you guys can shed some light on my issue here and help me solve this because ive narrowed my no start all the way to this. Thanks in advance
Edit: The SES light does not illuminate on the dash when the car is "on" either, dont know if this points to a fried ECM or not

Last edited by GeneralIesrussi; 11-04-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added link, extra detail
Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Uh Oh »»»»»» You’ve Been Grounded !

Originally Posted by GeneralIesrussi
ive grounded the orange on different parts of the car
That’s normally a power wire.

You should never ground it.

Originally Posted by GeneralIesrussi
i tested the inline fuse further down the line and it only receives (no) power
That fuse should have power on it at all times therefore trace it back to the battery to find the break.

Happy Racing !

I Didn’t Wreck, The Track Moved

Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Re: Uh Oh »»»»»» You’ve Been Grounded !

Originally Posted by NINÅ
That’s normally a power wire.

You should never ground it.

That fuse should have power on it at all times therefore trace it back to the battery to find the break.

Happy Racing !

I Didn’t Wreck, The Track Moved

I traced the cable back and found the break near the battery, that problem is now solved, however the car still doesn't run, it has sufficient fuel pressure to the shrader valve, next up for testing is the injectors
Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 AM

Re: Fuel pump wiring mess!

Turns out the injectors were all rusted and seized, the car runs better now with new injectors, but still wants to stall when in gear and coming to a stop. I have another post here for that issue
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...mpression.html