Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Pic request: Wiring above driver's feet

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Pic request: Wiring above driver's feet

I'm trying to button up the wiring in the cabin that I redid but I can't recall how the wires that are around the fuse box and steering column were routed. I'm hoping somebody has or wouldn't mind taking a picture of that area around the fuse box, underside of steering column and above the pedals. I did a google search but all the pictures are of vehicles with the wires pulled down or just of a rats nest from an alarm install.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Pic request: Wiring above driver's feet

Well... I just went through about a thousand photos I took up behind the dash, of dashes out of the car, etc and I don't know that any of them really show you what you're asking for. Really can't see much without dropping the bottom half of the dash and the steering column, or I'd be happy to take some specific pics.

There really isn't much too it. You've got the main harness across the back of the dash, below the cluster, above the column. Several stubs off that harness come off to the right side of the column, and a couple on the left side of the column. The main bundle continues to the left of the column, then turns toward the firewall, along the way a bundle of wires break out of the harness for the fuse block. From there, one branch continues to C100 at the firewall, another branch splits off and follows the kick panel down to the inner rocker and continues back to the fuel sender, brake lights, and driver's rear speaker.

You'll also have a standalone harness for power locks, and the cruise module that cuts across the top of the firewall, along with the power window harness. Also the cruise servo harness comes through the firewall and loops up to the pedal box.

Most of the harness is going to do it's own thing, because it can only go one way. C100, the fuse box, the steering column, the pedals, are always going to be in the same places. Once they're established the rest just tucks in around everything else.

I'll throw a few pics from the Service Manual up for you. They're surprisingly accurate.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 PM

Not sure how much these will help. 92 RS. The column has been R&R'd so those wires aren't exactly where they should be. Loom around C100 removed.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Drew- Two of those figures are helpful, thanks.
GMan- The pictures in post 3 are helpful, thanks.

Is that much of the wiring exposed as it came from the factory? I have every wire covered by electrical tape or tubing. Maybe I'll remove some tubing to gain some flexibility.

I'll have to try and reroute some wires and post up.

Last edited by Tibo; 01-22-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo
Drew- Two of those figures are helpful, thanks.
GMan- The pictures in post 3 are helpful, thanks.

Is that much of the wiring exposed as it came from the factory? I have every wire covered by electrical tape or tubing. Maybe I'll remove some tubing to gain some flexibility.

I'll have to try and reroute some wires and post up.
On that third picture, I've removed the cover on the C100 and the tubing/tape from that bundle that runs a bit to the left then down when I upsized the f/p wire, and just haven't reloomed it yet until I'm done with all the other changes I plan on the interior. Everything else is untouched as far as what I've removed.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

In the future if your fiddling around with any of the fuel pump connectors I'd be interested to know what your voltage is across the battery terminals and then the resting voltage at the fuel pump connector. I was surprised at the 1/4 volt loss I saw across the stock wired switched power vs my wired switched power. I can compare your voltage to my stock wiring.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

There is probably about 3-6" of exposed wires from the connectors to the wrap or loom. There isn't all that much loom in the dash harness. It's mostly just wrapped in harness tape, with loom on short stretches where the wire may rub.