Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlight switch

Old 12-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '83 trans am Lear Siegler
Transmission: 700r4
Headlight switch

I have a 83 trans am, so no headlight module, it uses the 3 relays. To make the headlight pop up, I need to barely move the headlight switch, once the lights pop up, I can turn the switch all the way on, then the lights will light up. when I turn the switch off, the lights go down and everything works normally.
I read a lot of posts about the lights popping up when the park lights are turned on, but I don't have that problem. Everything works correctly except for how I have to turn the lights on. I replaced the switch, but that didn't help. Anyone had this problem? I've also played musical relays, and have replaced 2, of them, but no luck there either.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM

Re: Headlight switch

I guess this is not a common problem. I will post results as I figure it out.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I'm not understanding what the problem is? From what you describe, everything is working as it should. You have working headlights correct? My '85 T/A has the same system(last year) and I have no problems with it. In fact, I'm usually flustered as to changing headlamps because they are on when the buckets pop up.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM

The headlight switch is not working correctly. If I push the headlight switch on as normal, the headlights will turn on, but they will not raise up. I have to move the switch about 1/8 inch and hold it there in just the right spot and wait for them to pop up, then push the switch all the way in.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

OK, I understand what your problem is now. It sounds similar to what I had going on in my car. It may be that your wiring is near the end of the road. Do you have an FSM(factory service manual)? And when I say wiring, I specifically mean the fusible links. There is one for each headlight. They are small gage wires that are meant to melt if the circuit gets overloaded. After many years of use and age, they get brittle. They are located in the wiring harness that runs along the bottom of the driver inner fender. It's probably an inch thick. It is encased in split loom and is very close to the cruise control motor(if you have that). In my car, that area of the harness was wrapped in black tape. After I removed the tape, I saw two light red, almost pink, wires. One of them was broken. I replaced both of them with thin gage wire, and the headlights have worked perfect ever since.

I was very frustrated, just as you are. I had pored over just about every post I could find about headlight issues. Most of them dealt with the newer 87+ headlight motors. I even took my motors out and replaced the rivets with hardware after giving them a thorough cleaning. It was all wasted effort until I found the wiring problem. You know your relays are working if the headlights go down on their own.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Thank you very much! That must be what my problem is! I do have a factory manual, but I did not look into the wiring on that part of the car. I've been going through checking all the grounds with no luck. I will check this out. Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 PM

Well I opened up the wire harness and when I looked at it, I reminded myself that I repaired this many years ago. (bought the car about 20 yrs. ago). So that's not it, but the isolation relay is no good. I have power to the yellow wire from the switch, but not to the pink wire, Thanks everyone for the help