Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Rear Hatch Motor Housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Rear Hatch Motor Housing

Hey guys...okay so I fixed my rear hatch problem today finally. I bought the car about a month ago...and once I started taking apart the panels I noticed someone had ripped out the relay (not the harness). I had ordered a what was listed as ORIGINAL fit motor and housing from HAWK motorsports. Well low and behold the housing WOULD NOT FIT. Anyways...I went to Camaro Central and paid an arm and a leg for a rebuilt/used hatch assembly. Now it works fine. Question are two things. Do you guys know of ANY place that sells original fit housing for those just incase I need one...the one from Camaro central has cracks in the screw areas...but like I said works. I looked at 1AAUTO https://www.1aauto.com/trunk-lid-pul...=202527&y=1987 and they looked like they had one. Also...if your trying to really baby the latch is it best to gently let the hatch down and manually kinda push it down until the old girl starts her motor and pulls it down ??? Thanks guys
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Rear Hatch Motor Housing

Dorman offers the housing, also TDS http://top-downsolutions.com/ etc.

Most pulldowns get damaged by people slamming the hatch, or letting the lift supports get so bad the hatch slams. By design it's a soft close hatch. It's not babying it, just push the hatch closed and push down lightly until it clicks and starts moving down.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:01 AM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed

Thanks Drew...well the car has been really taken care off...it seems to work great...the housing has some little cracks along the screw insert areas...any reason for concern there or should it last me quite a while? I was kinda upset Camaro Central would send out one to me with cracks like that...
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Was it used? Most of the time the plastic housing will be cracked around the screws. Over time the chemicals in the plastic will leach out, and the plastic gets brittle. Even just the pressure of the screws torqued into the plastic usually causes them to get stress cracks. Nature of the beast. Fortunately they tend to stay together as long as you're careful about closing the trunk.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

l would recommend getting the reinforced housing/ rebuild kit from TDS

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/hatch-pull-down-items