Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Intermittent starting : maybe not the VATS. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting : maybe not the VATS. HELP

I have a 1990 Iroc convertible. All stock with 45,000 miles. I have been having some very big frustrations trying to get this starting issue resolved. Up until this weekend, I was convinced it was the vats system. Sometimes the car will start right away and sometimes it won’t. Until now, if the car won’t start, I would let it sit 5-7 minutes, turn the key, and violla, it would start. This weekend, it would not start at all. Tried letting it sit several times, and even removed the battery cables for a few minutes and still nothing.. So far, I have replaced the keys and the ignition tumbler with brand new parts ( prior to this weekend).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Intermittent starting : maybe not the VATS. HELP

The letting it sit for awhile sounds like a bad icm or pu coil. When it acts up is it a no crank issue ?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 PM

When it doesn’t start, everything seems normal. Lights works, accessories work, and you can even hear the starter solenoid activating. It just won’t crank.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like a vats issue. To test (Tpi)f10 blue wire of the ecm should have 2.5v or a 30-50hz signal if the passkey is working correctly.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

It could be many possibilities, but you want to check the basics first. Start with checking and cleaning the battery connections if you haven't already. Then check the battery ground connection by the alternator. Then check the ground connections on the back of the heads. If you know how to use a multi meter, that can be your best friend on electrical issues. Dirty or loose ground connections can cause an intermittent problem.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

When it won't start is your security light on or does it go off?
most vats issues is due to the 2 little white wires that connect to the ignition tumbler break and no longer make full contact. Remedy is to replace the tumbler and have a new key cut.
But if your security light goes off when it won't start then vats isn't the problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Usually if The VATS box is no good, the car won't even crank and it's not an intermittent problem. The car is basically dead if the VATS box is inop.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I'd check the coil and ignition system too.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1992 Trans Am
I'd check the coil and ignition system too.
I am game to try anything a this point. It's definitely an intermittent problems. I just walked outside and it started right up. Seeing how i have already replaced the key tumbler and keys, are the ignition and coil something i can check. If so how?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Sponsor

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4....ed-icm-tests-1
To test injector pulse you can use a noid light. Check spark first if you have spark and no injector pulse it’s more than likely vats.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TrevinE
I am game to try anything a this point. It's definitely an intermittent problems. I just walked outside and it started right up. Seeing how i have already replaced the key tumbler and keys, are the ignition and coil something i can check. If so how?
Not sure if you read my post #5 or not, but I'm here to tell you, years ago I had a Dodge work van that would only start when it wanted to. The company kept taking it back to the dealer and it would either start many times or sometimes it wouldn't. With hundreds of dollars thrown at it, finally the dealer put an old experience mechanic on it, and he found the battery ground cable was loose and corroded on the chassis. Anything electrical will not work without proper grounding.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4....ed-icm-tests-1
To test injector pulse you can use a noid light. Check spark first if you have spark and no injector pulse it’s more than likely vats.
nit when it acts up, it won’t even crank or try and turn over. Everything else seems normal but no engine activity.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by red rock
Not sure if you read my post #5 or not, but I'm here to tell you, years ago I had a Dodge work van that would only start when it wanted to. The company kept taking it back to the dealer and it would either start many times or sometimes it wouldn't. With hundreds of dollars thrown at it, finally the dealer put an old experience mechanic on it, and he found the battery ground cable was loose and corroded on the chassis. Anything electrical will not work without proper grounding.
i will give the ground a good look. Thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Car Is Not Cranky . . . . SO I AM !!!!!!

…….can even hear the starter solenoid activating.
Due to the fact the solenoid activates the problem is not the VATS.

You have a starter motor problem.

Red Rocks’ response is on target.

To further diagnose the problem connect a voltmeter across the M terminal of the starter and ground.

Make the leads long enuff to take the voltmeter into the cockpit.

Under normal circumstances, when cranking you will see about 9 volts on the meter.

On the occasions the starter fails to crank note the voltage.

The voltage will tell you what direction to turn.

If it’s about 12 while you are trying to crank, but the starter is not turning - the problem is in the starter.

If it’s under 8 while trying to crank - the problem is excessive resistance in the starting circuit.

Therefore if it is in the starting circuit you can move the probe you applied to terminal M at the starter, to the positive terminals at the solenoid, then keep moving up the line till the problem shows itself VIA increased voltage.

Happy Racing !

My Brakes Don’t Work AT ALL When The Car Is In The Air

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Remove the Starter Enable Relay and Bypass it using its connector in the driver-side kick panel by your left foot like in this photo. That will stop VATS from blocking the starter from turning over.

I had a bad VATS Module and it was intermittent. This was part of the fix.

Its the two outside slots. Use heavy gauge wire like in the photo , male spade connectors and tape it all with electrical tape to keep it together and safe.

Be careful because there is a lot of amperage going through it when you turn the key.

Vats will still be able to shut down the injectors so that will also need to be addressed as well but this is a good start.

Also if VATS is activated it will lock you out for about 5 minutes between each start attempt.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 10-09-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Grounds and wires look good. Thinking about ordering a Starter Enable Relay and a Neutral Safety switch. Both are cheap parts and after doing some research, the Starter Enable Really seems to be a fairly common failure too.

What is the part number for the VATS module and where is it located?

Keep the idea coming.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Axle/Gears: No idea

I had a similar issue on mine. it would work fine. when you turned it off it would not start back up. I had to wait before turning it back on. I also noticed going over certain bumps the car would loose power. I took it to a mechanic to get the starter replaced and was told that the starter was fine, it just had a loose wire. they tightened it down and has been fine ever since. at first I though it was the vats because when I turned the key nothing would happen. only the SES light and security light would come on. I also noticed that when the car would not want to start I could slam the hood a couple of times and it would start up fine.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a similar problem. When you turn the car over most of the time it starts. When it doesn't it has a sound of a load clicking relay engaging. I can't tell where it is coming from by myself. Maybe also the starter enable relay? VATS light off. I will start on the next key turn or maybe the second.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2mnytys
I am having a similar problem. When you turn the car over most of the time it starts. When it doesn't it has a sound of a load clicking relay engaging. I can't tell where it is coming from by myself. Maybe also the starter enable relay? VATS light off. I will start on the next key turn or maybe the second.
Sounds the same to me but i have always forgotten to watch the security light to see what it does because i don't drive it very often and forget. Please post up if you find a solution and i will do the same.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 03:03 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60

Following this thread...Having the same issue...been through all the leads, disconnected and cleaned, new battery, new starter relay, new starter and solenoid. HELP!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by B1CrwDwg
Following this thread...Having the same issue...been through all the leads, disconnected and cleaned, new battery, new starter relay, new starter and solenoid. HELP!!!
Found my fault at the starter to engine mating surfaces NOT conducting effective ground. Thoroughly cleaned mating surfaces and BAM back in business.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:41 AM
Supreme Member

Dirty old grounds.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Found my fault at the starter to engine mating surfaces NOT conducting effective ground. Thoroughly cleaned mating surfaces and BAM back in business.
Thanks for this. I guess it can be anything at this point.

The saga continues. I was feeling pretty motivated today so i did a complete clay bar and polish followed by a coating of CQUARTZ. SHE looked so good i said i will take her for a ride. I started her 3 times off and on before i drove and zero issues. When i returned, I turned it off and restarted it....no problem. I immediately tried a second time and nothing. At least at this point i think its not the vats. The security light does its blinking thing then goes off.

I tried the bypass thing USMC suggested and it didn't help at all. I have 10.6V going across the starter enable relay with the jumper wire.

The ignition works and the accessories come on when i turn the key to the first position. However, when i try and restart i hear what sound like maybe the fuel pump but NOTHING else. No clicks or anything. I am wondering if it can be as simple as a bad starter but its just so intermittent. It seems to only act up after driving it. I cant say that i have ever recalled in doing it on initial start.

Any other thoughts?????

Last edited by TrevinE; 12-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Circuits tend to go open when they get warm or hot creating an intermittent problem.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:10 AM

Thanks for this. I guess it can be anything at this point.

The saga continues. I was feeling pretty motivated today so i did a complete clay bar and polish followed by a coating of CQUARTZ. SHE looked so good i said i will take her for a ride. I started her 3 times off and on before i drove and zero issues. When i returned, I turned it off and restarted it....no problem. I immediately tried a second time and nothing. At least at this point i think its not the vats. The security light does its blinking thing then goes off.

I tried the bypass thing USMC suggested and it didn't help at all. I have 10.6V going across the starter enable relay with the jumper wire.

The ignition works and the accessories come on when i turn the key to the first position. However, when i try and restart i hear what sound like maybe the fuel pump but NOTHING else. No clicks or anything. I am wondering if it can be as simple as a bad starter but its just so intermittent. It seems to only act up after driving it. I cant say that i have ever recalled in doing it on initial start.

Any other thoughts?????
Mine was very intermittent as well...didn’t matter with the engine hot or cold. Only thing consistent was the single click.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM

well...KNOCK ON WOOD I might have solved this issue. It appears i might have had 2 things going on. The VATS system security light doesn't come on any more when it doest start since I got new keys AND change the key tumbler. The intermittent not starting at all seems to have been due to the starter getting too hot. I noticed that when it wouldn't restart for a long time, it was after driving it. With everything else suggested turning up empty, i started thinking it might be a starter issue even though i have never experienced an intermittent starter issue. Looking at the starter closer, it seemed logical since the engine is above it and the exhaust cross pipe is below it so i thought, "what the hell, lets change the starter and see what happens". I swapped it out and had the car sitting in the shop running for about 20 minutes just to get a nice heat soak going. It was long enough where the aux fans were cycling so i felt it should be a fair representation IF it was a heat issue. After running it, i cycled the key on and off about 5 times and it cranked every time. The true test will be after running it a few times which i will do once the weather clears around here but so far, i am optimistic.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: Auto

So did the new starter do the trick? I am having similar intermittent starting problems. Currently looking at the possibility of bad battery cables. Thought I fixed the problem twice already...the first time by cleaning terminal connections at the starter and the second time by thoroughly cleaning the negative cable to engine block connection which was fairly dirty. After each time, I had success but just today, it failed to start again....tried four times and then by chance it worked the fifth time. Once when it was completely dead for a while and I was testing things, I heard the lights come on (with the key in accessory) when I jiggled the cable at the starter. My starter is very old (15 years or so) but only has like 15K miles of usage. I have had the car garaged mostly...
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Axle/Gears: No idea

I had that issue with mine. It ended up being a loose connection on the starter. I would turn the key and nothing would happen. Then hours later it would work fine. Sometimes over bumps the car would want to die.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:21 PM

Mine turned out to be a grounding, actual starter to engine mounting. Cleaned and reinstalled old...been fine since
Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: Auto

Mine turned out to be a grounding, actual starter to engine mounting. Cleaned and reinstalled old...been fine since
I was looking at this possibility as well but it seems as though the starter is just bolted to the undercarriage and I could not actually find a ground wire connection. Did you just unbolt the starter and clean that connection point?
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/89 Vert/87 Vert/89 GTA Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0/5.0/5.7
Axle/Gears: 9" 2.77/9" 3:23/9" 3:42

nit when it acts up, it won’t even crank or try and turn over. Everything else seems normal but no engine activity.
I have an 89 doing exactly the same, except it is constantly not cranking but everything else works...following. need to find the solution
Old 03-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Sponsor

Starter heat soak or maybe the starter enable relay would cause this no crank.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

Is the security light turning off? Should come on for a few seconds, then turn off. If not you probably have a VATS problem. If the light is working right try turning on the headlights (pull some current) then try the starter. If the lights go out and stay out you have a bad connection on the main battery cables.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 PM

when this OP thread is solved I need to hijack it.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by rarebmx
when this OP thread is solved I need to hijack it.
Oh heck, hijack it anyway. We can work on multiple issues. Haven't heard from the op since post #26 over a year ago. He may have fixed it.

Last edited by red rock; 03-10-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Oh heck, hijack it anyway. We can work on multiple issues.
having basically the same issue. Was working flawlessly then one day tried starting the car. NOTHING. No crank at all. Security light was off. Happened just like when my NSS went out.
I swapped the starter, jumped the nuetral safety switch (NSS), installed new NSS for my other IROC. Swapped new starter & solenoid. Jumped VATS as shown in other threads (that made the security light stay on when key was inserted but still nothing. All battery connections good & was on a charger (strong battery). Had new key cut with correct chipset (tested & bought years ago).
I'm at a loss. Guessing time for a test light to see why no juice is getting to the starter.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Have you tested with a ohm meter the continuity of the ground cable and starter cables? Also, there are fuseable links in the circuit. Do you have a wire schematic?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 PM

Have you tested with a ohm meter the continuity of the ground cable and starter cables? Also, there are fuseable links in the circuit. Do you have a wire schematic?
I have not tested cables nor the fuseable links. That is next step on my list. I believe there are four links?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

This isn't too good of an image, but may help some. Just a thought, but have you checked your fuses? http://videojourneysrentals.com/1989...ontrol-module/

Last edited by red rock; 03-11-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

I was just searching around and found this; https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...96b43f80386616
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73

I gave up on this long ago on my '88 Firebird. My '91s don't do this. Swapped the starter, ignition switch,battery cables, etc. Read somewhere that it's in the resistance from the wire at the ignition switch to the starter. Rigged a permanent push button switch to bypass wiring. When it doesn't start properly, I use the button...works every time.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by sharky55
I was looking at this possibility as well but it seems as though the starter is just bolted to the undercarriage and I could not actually find a ground wire connection. Did you just unbolt the starter and clean that connection point?
yes, there was no ground from the starter just mating surface...mine is starting to act up again so thinking of running a secondary grofrom mating surface to a frame ground.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 AM

I was just searching around and found this; https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...96b43f80386616
THATS GOOD STUFF!!! Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Update on my 1989 IROC.....Ignition was bad. All swapped & running great again.