Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Led headlights don’t work right with fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto
Led headlights don’t work right with fog lights?

i installed led headlights and with the fog light relay unplugged they work perfect. If I plug the fog light relay in they do all kinds of weird stuff. Is there a different relay that I need to get for it all to work together?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Led headlights don’t work right with fog lights?

The reason for your problem can be found in the lower lefthand area of this wiring diagram .

The foglight relay's coil gets it's ground through the high beams filaments when the low beams are on . When the high beams are on the relay's coil has +12 volts on both sides and the coil obviously won't engage . This is how GM wired it so that the foglights will work with the low beams only . What's happening is that your LEDs aren't at all happy being connected as a ground source for your foglight relay's coil .

Were this my problem to solve , if I wanted to keep the LEDs and have functional foglights , here's what I'd do ;

I'd cut the light green wire at the foglight relay at terminal "C2" leaving a few good inches of wire on the relay side of the cut wire , and I'd ground the cut wire leading from the relay , and then tape off (insulate) the other end of the wire from the harness (that was leading to the relay) . This way the LEDs will never see the relay's ground load and the foglight relay won't need the high beams for it's ground . Bonus points are that the fogs will now work in either low or high beam , which is how I personally like them to work (I've done the green wire modification on past cars even without the LED headlight problem simply because I don't like my fogs going off when the high beams go on) .
The following users liked this post:
Buddy (01-31-2021)
Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Orangebird thank you very much. I have been beating my head against the wall with this. The diagram is blurry when I bring it up. C2 is a terminal at the actual relay? I would go out and look but the car at a buddy’s house. I will go do the ground trick you are talking about in the morning. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:54 PM

Orangebird you were spot on. I grounded the light green wire and everything works like a champ. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Dredgetrash
Orangebird you were spot on. I grounded the light green wire and everything works like a champ. Thank you for your help.
Your Welcome , I'm happy you had success with it .