Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

after market 12 circuit harness issue/question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: ls3
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.11
after market 12 circuit harness issue/question

Have any of you guys that have ran an ez or painless chassis harness had any issues with parking/brake lights after wiring per the directions with the kits? I reused my 92 head and taillight harness and tied it into the new chassis harness. I am using a speedway 12 circuit harness that is very similar to the ez, painless, and other harnesses out there.. I think i have a work around but cant verify until later today. The issue im having is when i power the brake switch and tie it to the turn signal switch per the directions, not only are the brake lights coming on like they should. but all my parking lights and licence plate lights are as well. Im using an early 3rd gen brake switch that is just for power in power out. I tried using the original one from my 92 and had the same results. This is with the key off. Im pretty sure the power for the brake switch is back feeding the parking lights since they are all on the same feed. I tied the 3rd brake light wire into my rear brake lights as well since that is the only "brake wire" included in the harness for the rear of the car. Im also using an american autowire turn switch toggle, since i am not using the factory steering column. The turn signal switch is pretty basic, its 12v flasher in, front left turn, front right turn, rear left turn, rear left turn, and 12v fee from brake switch. Ive been over the entire hanress a thousand times and all is correct, grounds included. So i dont know if im missing the obvious or what. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by redmaroz; 02-18-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: ls3
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Re: after market 12 circuit harness issue/question

Just to update I found the issue. There was a ground tucked away in the part of the harness for the hatch pull down motor which I'm not using. Well apparently that still needs grounded for the lights etc to work correctly. Also if anyone ever uses one of the turn signal toggle switches that american auto wiring or Ron Francis sells on a 3rd gen, dont connect the brake switch to the turn signal switch. Since the parking light and brake light share the same bulb and has a separate turn, it wont work like normal. Works completely fine unhooked.