Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electronics Work, Car Won't Crank, Bad Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Electronics Work, Car Won't Crank, Bad Starter?

I just tried to start my Camaro after it has been sitting for 5 days. The lights came on with no problem both headlights and dash lights, gauges work, power windows work, fuel pump primes, etc. When I turn the key nothing happens, no noise, nothing. I will play around with it again in the morning but I'm guessing bad starter.

A few weeks ago I made a trip with several stops and after the 5th or so stop it did the samething, electronics work but it wouldn't crank. I got something to eat and waited 30 minutes and then it started with no problem.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Car Is Not Cranky . . . . SO I AM !!!!!!

Connect a voltmeter across the M terminal of the starter and battery

Make the leads long enuff to take the voltmeter into the cockpit.

Under normal circumstances, when cranking you will see about 9 volts on the meter.

On the occasions the starter fails to crank note the voltage.

The voltage will tell you what direction to turn.

If it’s about 12 while you are trying to crank, but the starter is not turning - the problem is in the starter.

If it’s under 8 while trying to crank - the problem is excessive resistance in the starting circuit.

Therefore if it is in the starting circuit you can move the probe you applied to terminal M at the starter, to the positive terminals at the solenoid, then keep moving up the line till the problem shows itself VIA increased voltage.

(The best meter for this type of automotive work is a low cost analogue one. They respond faster than expensive ones, and don’t pickup stray voltages as digital ones do which cause incorrect readings.)

Happy Racing !

Funny Car Fun Fact: From a standing start, Funnys accelerate faster than a fighter jet.