Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Water temp and oil pressure gages

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water temp and oil pressure gages

I just bought this car and I wonder if it's normal or not. The water temp is low (on the gage at least) and the oil pressure as well (it's in kPa).

Is it normal or not and where should I look to correct that ? Bad sensor, bad gage ?

It's a Formula 1992, 305 TBI. The car was running for about 30 min after some highway. Yesterday I did about 150 km without any problem but I had the same readings. I'm a bit concerned about that because I would not see problems coming if the reading is wrong.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, Digital Dash
Engine: L98 TPI
Transmission: 1994 LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27
Re: Water temp and oil pressure gages

Both those senders are known to go bad and read low after 30 years. It's like $40 to replace both of them from rockauto.

I see you're in the montreal area too. There's a few active owners here on the island if you want to come hang out sometime and bounce some questions in person.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:10 PM

I'd like to meet other owners. I'll go to the 3rd Gen Fest in June but if I can have help in person before that would be great ! (just PM me)

I already read something about the temp sensor and located it, however I don't know where is the oil pressure sensor. I should be able to replace both quite easily I guess but I never did that so I don't know what are the precautions to take in order to do that (cold car maybe, it will probably leak some fluid so I have to be ready about this ?). Is there a tutorial somewhere about that ?
I used to do a lot of things on my previous car (BMW Z3 coupé 2.8) so I'm not a complete noob with mechanics but for stuff I never did I appreciate any help.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, Digital Dash
Engine: L98 TPI
Transmission: 1994 LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27

Originally Posted by Flat-twin
I'd like to meet other owners. I'll go to the 3rd Gen Fest in June but if I can have help in person before that would be great ! (just PM me)

I already read something about the temp sensor and located it, however I don't know where is the oil pressure sensor. I should be able to replace both quite easily I guess but I never did that so I don't know what are the precautions to take in order to do that (cold car maybe, it will probably leak some fluid so I have to be ready about this ?). Is there a tutorial somewhere about that ?
I used to do a lot of things on my previous car (BMW Z3 coupé 2.8) so I'm not a complete noob with mechanics but for stuff I never did I appreciate any help.
Never been to third gen fest, but i've been to third gen expo a couple times. It's a long drive, but the event is always worth it. I'll send you a PM and we can get in contact.

If you have an l98, there's actually 3 - Driver side head (dash gauge), Under throttle body (ECM), and Passenger side block under the head (second fan). Any two of those are usually toast. If your fuel economy is also garbage from the trip back then i'd consider replacing the ECM sensor under the throttle body while you're there. Lets the computer know the car actually heats up from time to time and to stop spraying cold start fuel .

The oil pressure sensor is behind the driver side head below the rear of the intake and an easy to change part. Looks like a small can of soup with a single inlet on the bottom, lol. Can't miss it.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Originally Posted by RunawayRadio
The oil pressure sensor is behind the driver side head below the rear of the intake and an easy to change part. Looks like a small can of soup with a single inlet on the bottom, lol. Can't miss it.
The 92 will have a combined oil gauge sender/switch (for fuel pump) just above the oil filter. Still, can't miss it.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM

I'll try to find this, thanks I'll also try to meet RunawayRadio some day (maybe this saturday, I still have to confirm) to help me with that.

By the way, I'm at least sure the temp gage + sensor works somehow because I could see the temperature raise in the traffic jam