Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Short? 91 climate control switch melting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short? 91 climate control switch melting

Hey folks, I'm Brandon, new here always dreamed of a third gen firebird convertible, and I landed one for a hell of a deal. This car has been my absolute pride and joy, I've done a lot of work to her too, never skipped a beat. Last week, I have to admit once I knew to switch the climate control to max it would run the fan, been using it as my cooling switch for traffic so she wouldn't run 220. Well, on a nice ride home through the country side, the dash starts smoking, she still got me home. I found a melted main blower and fan connector under the hood, not going to lie it didnt look good 8 months ago. Did a quality job with new connectors there this morning.. Well, pulled the radio and climate control out, to find the blower switch melted between pins 4 and 5, nothing makes a difference, the blower works on all speeds, the cooling fan comes on, but the switch glows red though a melted hole. The situation is even worse with the resistor involved, fan on or off, Anyone have any advice? Trying to find the connector pinouts, strange that all is well, but shorting, I did notice when I was replacing the connector that the green with white tracer looked hot and tarnished. Anyone been through this?

Last edited by Dirtybirdyvert; 10-19-2021 at 09:34 AM.