Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn signal cancel cam misaligned with MF switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350 Carb
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: Stock open diff
Turn signal cancel cam misaligned with MF switch

Good morning all,
Have a 1986 base model car with a 350 and 3 speed in it, and am having fun trying to make everything back to how it should be since the car was pretty messy when I bought it. Anyhow tore the steering column apart a week ago to replace the turn signal cam and to run the wires through, and when putting it back together I realized I didn’t have this little tiny arm piece that connects the cancel cam to the MultiFunction switch so that the turn signal lever will actually activate the cancel cam. So I went and got the little piece and put it in and there’s no room for adjustment, and it is misaligned in the following way: when the cancel cam is all the way down (right turn) the stalk is in the middle. When the cancel cam is in the middle, the stalk is all the way down, and does not have any room to go into Left turn signal. the little arm piece seems to fit right in the MF switch and the cancel cam, but it seems as it needs to be bent somehow or the cancel cam needs to be rotated in the steering column somehow, which I don’t believe is possible. Will try to include media, thank you all

my question for anyone who might know: did they change the turn signal cancel cam design throughout the years on these cars? And did they change the MultiFunction switch at all too? If those two are different it would explain it, or if anyone knows what part I’d need for a 1986 2.8V6 car I’d gladly order it, want to drive this thang

https://share.icloud.com/photos/072v3Wz3fxMohXn59C8UkY2bg