Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kill switch

just wanted to get some feedback as to what wire and location/color to use for a hidden kill switch on an 86 IROC and some locations where you hid your switch
thanks
terry in orlando
Old 03-13-2002, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

I can tell you about the wire I switched, but not where I hid my switch....Orlando is just a little too close . Anyways, I switched a power wire to the ECM from over the passenger's feet. I'd have to go look to see what color it is. I'm pretty sure it is an ignition switched 12V power source to the computer. So, when I turn off the switch, my car will crank, but won't start.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:48 PM

Car: 87 trans am, 93 full size blazer
Engine: 5.0, 5.7
Transmission: A4
Use a reed switch for the switch. Its a magnetic switch that is on when there is a magnet attached to it. Hide the switch somewhere behind the dash or where ever, and then take the magnet with you when you go. I dont think that any theif would be up to looking for that switch.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Black Z28 Hardtop
Axle/Gears: 2002 10 bolt w/3:23
Originally posted by dans87ta
Use a reed switch for the switch. Its a magnetic switch that is on when there is a magnet attached to it. Hide the switch somewhere behind the dash or where ever, and then take the magnet with you when you go. I dont think that any theif would be up to looking for that switch.
This is a clever idea. To most of these theiving idiots it would go unnoticed, even in plain view.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:11 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Before you do this....
I have heard of problems with the magnetic switches, namely the magnets falling off when driving over rough surfaces. This would become even more of a problem when you start hiding it behind a plastic dashboard. Just be careful of this, otherwise you're liable to be cruising one minute, and the next you've got no power
Old 03-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

That's the only reason I didn't go that route. I hadn't come up with what I thought was a safe/reliable place to put it where the magnet would stay. I didn't want to spend too much time figuring that out, so went with a regular switch. I suppose a horizontal surface might work ok though.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by 92droptop
Before you do this....
I have heard of problems with the magnetic switches, namely the magnets falling off when driving over rough surfaces. This would become even more of a problem when you start hiding it behind a plastic dashboard. Just be careful of this, otherwise you're liable to be cruising one minute, and the next you've got no power
This is quite true, Buuut, what if you install the switch inside your cigarette lighter recepticle, and a magnet in the removable lighter, and take the lighter with you when you go away from the car. Then the magnet wouldn't fall out. Radio Shack sells end magnetic switches that could work and are quite reliable. You just need to use a relay to control the systems you want to kill (ignition, fuel pump, ECU power). It would be effective.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11
Right on 92BLKL98.... that is pretty much what I was thinking except I was thinking that you just remove power to the cig lighter recepticel...and make it so that somehow when the lighter is in place, the car will start, but without it, it is useless. Except there is only one thing wrong with kill switches...when a car can't be stolen, what are they going to do next?

SMASH!!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 01:21 AM

Yeah you're going to have to gut the receptacle. Most punks aren't going to do too much damage they just want a quick ride. I'd love to just roll the windows up tight lock the doors and gas 'em but I think they have laws against that. I heard of a guy years ago who wired the door handles for an electric shock. Illegal but neat. What's illegal, IMHO a sick bird.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 90RS Conv.
Engine: 383 w/ small shot
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: moser 9in
Re: kill switch

Diiging
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Digging up a old one here.

ive been thinking about making a hidden kill switch using a reed switch, like discussed above.

I want to kill the ign using the white wire from my msd 6al. white to ground = kill.

My first question is if im only grounding out the box, would i still need to run a relay.

I found a few places selling them on the net. Just to double check my thinking. I need a normally closed switch?

final question. could i wire a blinking led to the to the same switch without it feeding back to the box?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by loneroad

ive been thinking about making a hidden kill switch using a reed switch, like discussed above.

I want to kill the ign using the white wire from my msd 6al. white to ground = kill.

My first question is if im only grounding out the box, would i still need to run a relay.

I found a few places selling them on the net. Just to double check my thinking. I need a normally closed switch?

final question. could i wire a blinking led to the to the same switch without it feeding back to the box?
If you control an electrical component on the ground side, than you can just use a switch. The reason is there is (or shouldn't be) any measurable voltage after the last consumer on a circuit. when you put switches on the power side of a consumer(s) you create a small arc every time that switch is closed. As many know this wears out switches over the life a vehicle. So as long as that wire you described only a ground, just wire up a switch large enough to solder that wire to. If you want to be totally sure, take a voltmeter and put the leads on either end of that wire with the circuit energized, it should read 0v if it is just a ground.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

Originally Posted by loneroad

I like the idea of this for sure and was wondering what I would do in this situation as Im not useing the wihte wire for my MSD. I was wondering if i put a switch on the 12v switched wire ( red ) will it do the same thing as if there is no switch power it cant turn on or is this not a good idea??? let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 383 stroker, mini blower, nitrous
Transmission: TKO600

your 6al requires a certain amount of amperage to operate, that switch needs to be able to handle it. I would run a relay so you don't have to worry about the switch being overloaded, or get a beefy switch.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

Originally Posted by RaGiN Z
your 6al requires a certain amount of amperage to operate, that switch needs to be able to handle it. I would run a relay so you don't have to worry about the switch being overloaded, or get a beefy switch.
If I put the switch on the ground would I still need to worry about amperage still???
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

the diagram with the 6 al grounding the white wire with a toggle switch

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...0_frm28645.pdf

so im thinking i should be fine with a normally closed reed switch. (open with a magnet)...

even if someone tried stealing it, and burned the switch out by continuously cranking it, it would be better to ride home in a tow truck with the car.Than ride home in a cab without it