Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Questions about smog laws?

Old 07-16-2003, 02:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
I heard about that "crush pre-76 cars" bill too... they seem to think they make more of a polution problem than newer cars (1980+).

It was happening for awhile.. PHR magazine even got a running '67 Camaro SS from someone for $300 who was bringing it to be crushed!! they also said that they saw lots of vintage Mopars and stuff crushed too (a '69 Charger R/T in particular)

They got it all wrong... there are so few cars that are pre-1976 being driven on the street regularly today that they have so little effect on the environment its not even funny. Seriously, how often do you see an old 440 Charger or a '69 Camaro on the street? Or even a measly 318 Dart? Not very often...

And plus, these cars are trailered everywere now anyway, lol.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog in Washington

Don't know if they do a visual or just make do with an up-the-pipe check, but the magic number for vehicle age in the Evergreen (should be EverRED with the Commies we got runnin' the place thanks to Seattle) State is 28. Example: first thirdgens in Washington get to do their final emission checks in 2006. After that, no more inspections, so far as I know (unless the Reds have something up their sleeve)...

Just thought this info might be useful. If you're really gung-ho interested, check out http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/c...tive_pages.htm .

Later.
nedry OUT
Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi - 122k
Transmission: 5 speed
Oregon

You get your tags here for 2 years and the last time I took my car in they just put the sniffer in and a thing on my hood that detects rpm, didn't even look at the engine.

Some crate engine manufactuers have gotten there engine's certified. Wonder what this involves, if you engine produces low emmisions then you should be able to get smog certifcation. Any lawyers around here. There's always some loop hole or another to play around with. Did a search on the internet and found very little.

Of course we are not manufacters of engines and they probally pay a pretty penny to get there engines certified. What about individuals wanting to do that, is there an avenue?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Hey guys, Texas just adopted California's emission standards and I understand it. I got my car inspected right before the change over! I have no clue about next year though! Maybe I'll just put the emissions stuff and the stock exhaust back on for my next inspection. This stuff is They should go after the big-*** 18-wheelers that shoot tons of black soot and smoke in the air everytime they change gears!

Our cars just run so much better with-out all that crap in the engine bay!
Attached Thumbnails Questions about smog laws?-dsc00223.jpg  
Old 10-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11
Damnit, so Texas has Cali's emission's laws??? Is there any way to get an LT1 in a /88 Ta inspected and pass????
Old 10-11-2003, 04:24 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans-AM
Engine: TPI 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4
As one who lives in california just let me say " I feel your pain"

I few guys have gotten vortec motors past emissions here.

As far as im concerned it should just be a sniffer check only. It should be no ones bussiness but yours whats under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about smog laws?-88trans.jpg  
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 PM

understanding CA smog laws

I ran across this great web site JTR (Jaguars That Run)--they write manuels on how to swap V8 into Jaguars/Volvos/S-10s/Astro vans, cars that weren't equipped with V8.

They are based out in CA and have delt with smog laws for many years. This site is very informative and will clear many questions about CA smog laws:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

if someone has already posted this, forgive the repeat
Old 10-22-2003, 03:51 PM

Now that was a helpfull post. Thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 04:25 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R-4
hmm well I live in WA, and there is no laws governing my county with smog rules. Its not densely populated around here, and the cities aren't very big (and arn't getting real big either) so I don't think I have anything to worry about. at least not until my car is past that 25 year age limit

Nedry what part of WA are you from??

cheers
Old 11-19-2003, 02:15 PM

Car: city bus
Engine: turbo diesel
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: be damned if I know, it's not mine
The hated E.P.A.

I hate the EPA as much as I hate, well I'll just leave that part alone. I seriously don't need some monkey in a suit to tell me what should be coming out of my car's tailpipes, as long as it's not fire or black smoke, "They" should be happy. Anyways, the EPA is the government and I have just seen the biggest bunch of ****ing morons out there. I live in Chicago and had to tangle with the EPA before, let's just say they don't know how to help out and they disrespect your car, and this dyno **** for emmisions just puts even more wear and tear on your car. Here's my story: Had to take the 'Bird in for the test, wait in line, do all this other crap, finaly they're ready to test my car, must've been a new employee or smoething cuz he asks me if my car is FWD, I tell him "only when it's in reverse" (think about it). So the dumbass puts my car on the dyno with the front wheels. I'm just like, "what the **** are you doing?" And he says "you said it's FWD" then I say "look underneath the car and tell me" so he does, comes back up "oh, sorry". Needless to say the car passed, barely, and a comment was made about my rear brakes sucking. It's called BRAKE TORQUE, FIGURE IT OUT!!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 12:26 PM

Car: '88 IROCZ
Engine: 363 Vortec w/Miniram
Transmission: built 700r4
lol, california is so backwards they have all this emissions crap and still have the worst air and water in the country.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Car: 94z28,84 3rdgen no engine,64 vette
Engine: lt1,-,350
Transmission: t56,-,m4
emmisions laws

um as far as the cops and stuff down here they can be so lcueless i have blatenly if (thtas how you spell it) disobyed the emissions law (black hellicopters oh no) in my state even once being pulled over for an out tailight and he asked where my muffler was i told him it fell off with my cat (***** still gave me a ticket for the out taillight) but half the cops dont know or dont care
Old 12-04-2003, 05:49 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
I thought the emissions applied only to '73 and later cars....what's with the '66 and later? I thought all cars older than '73 were exempt from somg checks?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
When I rolled into San Diego in 1986, I had to have the '57 smog inspected and tested!

The old 283 still had the original road draft tube, so the first thing was a "PCV kit". $75. For a nipple on the back of the block, a PCV valve, an oil fillter cap with a nipple, a nipple on the air cleaner, and a couple of pieces of rubber hose (remember, this was 1986 dollars, for a new college grad with a wife and 2 kids).

Then the sniffer. It passed the cruise easily enough, but had a valve that would hang at idle. Wouldn't pass. $95 later for points, condenser, plugs, wires, cap & rotor (I wasn't allowed to do them myself, or it wouldn't count against the repair costs), it still didn't pass but was cleaner. The next step would have been a valve job, which would have taken me over the $ limit (I forget exactly what it was then), so since it was cleaner than it was before, I was issued a waiver.

That was the 1st and only time it had to be "smogged".

If the car had been in California all its life, none of this would have been required.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:17 PM

But say, I had an older car, like a '66 Chevelle, would I have to get it smoged every other year, like I have to with my '89 camaro?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 PM

Not anymore. The cutoff right now is 1974 I'm pretty sure. Doesnt mean you cant get a ticket from a cop for disabled emissions... though I'd bet thats a rare occurance at best. They changed the year when they went to the smog check II program a few years back, it jumped a few years here and there, until it hit the year its stuck at now. They want to revert back to the old deal, no real surprise there. They did freeze the year though, it was supposed to be set at a fixed year, like anything more than 25 years old wouldnt need a smog, but thats gone bye bye. At least the 1957-1965 cars owners dont have to get their cars smogged when they sell them anymore, that changed around 10 years ago or something like that.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:49 PM

O.K., so if an older car still has to go in to have a smog check done, it isn't required to have all the C.A.R.B. stuff right? Because it is '73 (or '74) or earlier. How do all the guys will old muscle cars at the shows do it? Maybe it's just me, but this smog B.S. is really confusing.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 06 SRM M6 GTO, 98 Grand Prix GTP
Re: Federal over state

Originally posted by 86BirdSE

I think every state has their own website. PA even has a link to the new emissions standards.

Do you or anybody else have that link to PA's emission laws? I learned a little in my fuel class, but not too much than what been posted here. I'd like to find out more.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 06 SRM M6 GTO, 98 Grand Prix GTP
Originally posted by Irocster
But say, I had an older car, like a '66 Chevelle, would I have to get it smoged every other year, like I have to with my '89 camaro?
As far as I know, a 74 or older car doesn't need to get emission testing. They just give you a visual inspection and give you one sticker. Buuut, if you have emissions equipment, I think its a federal law that you can't remove them. Anybody know if thats accurate?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM

The only emissions equipment that I know of on older cars is the PCV system. That's no big deal though.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:56 AM

Yes, thats true. Anyone who removes an emission control device is in violation of federal law. Doesnt much matter what your local or state laws are, the feds dont care.

Now when was the last time you saw the feds bust someone for taking off their PCV valve?

Some of the older cars had AIR systems too, 66 Mustangs had them. Wasnt until about 72-73 that EGR's came around, and 75 or 76 for the catalytic converter.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:01 AM

Alright, I gotcha. You see, I don't mind getting my car smogged, but what I don't understand is when getting our year range of cars smogged, why can't they just hook up the sniffer and be done with it? Who cares what parts we use! I mean, if it passes it passes. The selection of our parts is totally irrelevant. Most of our engines are just as efficient if not more so than new cars with all the crap on them. Oh well, so much for living in CA.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:10 AM

Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: T-5
So what are the numbers?

Here in Lake County, Indiana they didn't even open my hood. That leads me to think as long as they see a catalytic converter, and it blows the right numbers I should be okay.

So, how do I find the right numbers?

Is it reasonable to expect that a shop with a dyno should be able to help you tune the car to pass the sniffer part of the test and make power?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
Thank goodness that Virginia is generally a car hobby friendly state!

Nevertheless, for the benefit of any fellow Virginians:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../emissions.asp

http://www.deq.state.va.us/air/regulations/airregs.html

http://www.deq.state.va.us/air/regulations/air91.html

Hope this helps those who needed the information on Virginia.

Last edited by 92 Formula; 01-14-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Irocster
Alright, I gotcha. You see, I don't mind getting my car smogged, but what I don't understand is when getting our year range of cars smogged, why can't they just hook up the sniffer and be done with it? Who cares what parts we use! I mean, if it passes it passes. The selection of our parts is totally irrelevant. Most of our engines are just as efficient if not more so than new cars with all the crap on them. Oh well, so much for living in CA.
You forget the MOST IMPORTANT REASON FOR CARBEO #-$$$.
It really has nothing to do with smog control. It has nothing to do with air pollution or the reduction thereof. Aftermarket speed equipment manufacturers pay millions to the state of Ca. to get their carb eo numbers. California will continue to insist on visual inspections to force manufacturers to get carb eo #s for their products. Furthermore it is a process that never ends. Take as an example Vortech, the supercharger manufacturer. They have carb eo #s for most of their applications, but the 2004 models have just come out. Guess what? If Vortech wants to put there blowers on new cars, they need to get carb eo #s for any 2004 models they want to build kits for. If anyone besides the state of California tried to do this, it would be called racketeering and we would be in prison. In the name of smog control, California is legally out doing anything the mafia ever thought of.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:38 PM

IT's over

Well, at least I'm no longer in an emissions testing area. Wait till next year southern Florida:rockon:
Old 03-09-2004, 11:22 PM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
After the contract runs out here in Ohio next year, we might not have a sniffer test anymore. Perfect timing too, since by then my swap will be done and it wont matter, lol. But then my car will only see the drag strip anyway.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
Originally posted by HanSolo0260
After the contract runs out here in Ohio next year, we might not have a sniffer test anymore. Perfect timing too, since by then my swap will be done and it wont matter, lol. But then my car will only see the drag strip anyway.
you realize that you just jinxed it for all of us , right?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 PM

Car: 88 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: SBC 385
Transmission: 700 w/ manual valvebody & 2400 TCI
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt B&W w/ 3.70s
OHIO FREE??

Wait, the contract ends already!!!! That is great!!! The funny part is that I have to get mine checked this summer...the stroker goes in next week...I hope to hell they dont look under the hood!! "umm, sir.......we dont see a listing for a 4bbl motor in 88"
Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 AM

Car: '89 rs convertible
Engine: ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
here's the deal in Tennessee: we have emissions testing in the large metropolitian areas(i.e. Nashville,Knoxville,Memphis,Chattanooga)AND the surrounding counties. they will inspect the cats to make sure they are there , check to see if the fuel tank has the flap under the gas cap ,obd2 diagnostic plug for ses,and sniffer at tailpipe.all 1975 or newer passenger cars must be tested, most 3/4 ton and above pickups/vans do not. diesels are exempt.I have a very good "friend"(known him for 37 years,lol) that has an '89 Camaro RS convertible that has to be tested for the rest of it's life as long as "he" stays in the Nashville area."He" also has a 1995 Chevrolet one ton dually that has NO cats, no smog equipment,and will never have to be tested and was bought from a used car dealer that way. The laws here are thoroughly screwy as you can register 2 counties away from any larger city and don't have to test at all on any vehicle. Another exemption is if you are actively serving in the military , then you do not have to test the car.You can get tags for a vehicle that doesn't need to be tested , transfer them to a vehicle that does , yet you are not required to test the vehicle until the tags need to be renewed, then you can transfer them back to the vehicle that doesn't need to be tested ,renew, and transfer 'em back to the second vehicle again.go figure

Last edited by badjuju342; 05-26-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: White 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4:10
is a engine swap even legal? as far as i know that when they pull in to check emissions they go by vin# when the vin says v6 and oo lets say you have a emisions legal 305 or 350 in it is it legal? also insurance companies go by the vin for quoting ..lol.. helps me out tho. thats another reason tho why i think its illegal to swap.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:55 PM

It isn't "illegal" to swap. You do, however, have to follow the rules. EPA says you can only use same year or newer engine, out of the same "type" of vehicle (can't put a light truck engine in a sedan, for instance), and all of the emissions equipment put on it in the "from" vehicle has to be transferred with the engine. So, my swap is legal from that standpoint.

As for insurance, I don't know if any states have laws to that effect. But, when I called my agent about getting coverage on the Camaro (I never drove it with the V6), I told him up front it had a 305 V8. If you let them assume via VIN that it has a V6 when in fact it has a V8, and you have a claim, they could have grounds for denying the claim. To me, it just ain't worth it to save a few bucks. Keep your record clean, a V8 car will cost you less to insure than a V6 car will if you have points on you license.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: White 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4:10
ok i get it thats why lt1 and ls1 swaps are so much better. my insurance agent when i told them it was a v8 told me that the car will only be insured by the vin even if i tell them its a v8 because the vin letter is t the computer give me a price based on the t vin letter and if in fact it was a v8 they couldnt insure it because it wasnt from the factory... thats when i shut up and said ok so whats the down payment??? lol

also i think if im right there was a dual cat setup in 92..right?? well what if i had a dual cat setup on it now that its a v8 and when it was a v6 it was single. how would that work?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:20 AM

In the Peoples Republic of California, You can't go from a single exhuast to a dual because its a mod of the smog system. YES in nonsense.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350, 92 TPI
Axle/Gears: Auburn gear posi, 3.08
Originally posted by 1bad91Z
Hey guys, Texas just adopted California's emission standards and I understand it. I got my car inspected right before the change over! I have no clue about next year though! Maybe I'll just put the emissions stuff and the stock exhaust back on for my next inspection. This stuff is They should go after the big-*** 18-wheelers that shoot tons of black soot and smoke in the air everytime they change gears!

Our cars just run so much better with-out all that crap in the engine bay!
Even worse dude is while they are f-ing with us ford is making suv's for soccer moms to drive that get 8mpg in the city. Most of us get twice that or more regardless of our mods.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 iroc z
Engine: LSX 376 F1A
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.42
in california it is now up to 1976
Old 07-22-2004, 10:34 PM

Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: Custom Forged 402ci LS2 w/STS Turbo
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" with 4.11
So, do you mean that '76 and older are exempt, or that '76 and newer get tested?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: A/T
Originally posted by joezero
I think what it is, is that the people who make the laws don't know the first thing about cars. They don't know how they work, they don't even understand where the pollution comes from. They just know that some of it comes from cars so they'll make laws to take care of it. What they don't realize is that a carbed car that's 40 years old in bad condition is worse than a half dozen late model cars. It would make sense to me if they required that all cars run certain emmisions equipment. That way you'd put a dent in the amount of pollutants from everyone, not just new cars. I want to say it was Audi that did a test in Los Angeles where the catalytic converter and other emmisions equipment was so good that the air at the tailpipe was actually cleaner than the air at the intake. (My engine performance teacher told us that right before he mentioned that he had replaced his catalytic converter with a straight pipe cause it was too much work to actually replace the cat ) I mean, why can't they take the billions of dollars spent on all this emmisions crap and just build a machine to clean the air?

As far as the P.O. to fool the DMV, etc. I haven't done it personally, I just went to school with a guy who did and said he was able to get away with it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they had started to crack down on that. After all, you're taking money from the government.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: Built TH-700 R4 (Vilgilante 2800)
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ PBR's
I know this is an old post, but I thought Emissions standards started after 68, and if not isn’t there a certain amount of years that (such as 20) that you can claim it as an antique and be emissions exempt?

Also, I like in Cook County, IL (Chicago), and we obviously have emissions standards. When you go for emissions though they do not pop your hood. They do check you gas cap and check under you car, but most those people there do not know what to look for. I went in there with a strait pipe in place of my cat my first time just to see how bad I would fail and they did not say anything. After 3 failed attempts they do check under your hood though. But again I was with my friend when he took his brothers 90 IROC for a 4th time and he had headers and no AIR tubes and they did not say anything. Also if you bring your car to a certified shop and spend a certain amount of money ( I think it is around $500) and show receipts you can get a waiver. And then there is always Show Car Insurance, in which you have to keep the car under a certain # of miles a year, which is not very hard to do when you have a cable driven speedo .

Kevin
Old 10-12-2004, 04:10 PM

What year models need to be inspected and/or tested varies from locale to locale, depending upon the level of effort they need to demonstrate to the EPA in order to keep getting Federal highway funds.

Here in the front range of Colorado, 1982 and newer vehicles have to be inspected and tested every other year using the "enhanced" emissions testing system, which means visual inspection for required equipment (what the factory put on that model/engine) and dyno sniffer for actual emissions. 1966 to 1981 model year vehicles have to be inspected and tested yearly using the non-dyno tailpipe probe.

However, vehicles 25 model years old and older are eligible for "collector plates", which are good for 5 years. You have to have the emissions certificate when you first get the plates, but once you have them, you don't need to get it inspected/tested again as long as you don't let the plates expire before renewing.

When I moved to San Diego in 1986, I had to have the '57 inspected and tested with the tailpipe probe before I could get plates for it. First, I had to have the road draft crankcase breather converted to a PCV system - I couldn't do it myself, it had to be done by a "certified repair facility" - $75 for a tin adapter, length of rubber hose, and standard PCV valve. Then it wouldn't pass the idle portion, the station did over $150 (I think it was - it seemed a lot at the time) of "repairs" - spark plugs, points, condensor, carb adjustment - demonstrated "signficant reduction", further reduction to pass the requirement would require significantly more expensive repairs, so I was given a waiver. I never had to have it inspected or tested again.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
"but the magic number for vehicle age in the Evergreen (should be EverRED with the Commies we got runnin' the place thanks to Seattle) State is 28. Example: first thirdgens in Washington get to do their final emission checks in 2006. After that, no more inspections"

washington state cutoff is 25 yrs as of last thursday the sign at the dol said 1979 and as far as i know you can do engine swaps up here no prob as long as it passes the sniffer i was just there with my girlfriends celica and if they looked under the hood at all the crap i unplugged/bypassed/jery rigged ect we would have been screwed but it passed just fine and so have all the other cars ive taken through cept my friends 80 something honda that shouldnt even be allowed on the road for safety reasons[QUOTE]

Last edited by idrivetofast; 10-26-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:37 AM

Car: Black 89 RS
Engine: 383 ci, TBI injected, AFR heads
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73's
Okay, don't shoot me, I am a licensed smog "test only" tech out here in the San Francisco bay area in NorCal. An ASSemblywoman in San Jose proposed the repeal of the "rolling 30 "exemption for smog. The bill was signed into law by the Governator so now ALL 76 and newer cars have to be smogged every other year. Now there is a bit of a loophole in the new law. If you go to the State of CA website, you can go into the current bills under proposal and read the bill and see how it reads. It makes no sense. But what it did was leave the door open for older cars to be smogged. There are rumors floating out 66 and newer cars being smogged again. The law states that collector cars 35 years and older and have obtained insurance to operate the vehicle in the state that they need to bring their cars to Smog check stations for a visual fuel leak check and functional fuel cap test. The law goes into effect on Jan 1, 2005. I HOPE THIS ISN'T THE CASE!!!! I remember smogging older cars and it was cool but when you have an older car which you can't find the parts anymore you have to go thru the process of having the car fail, then call for parts, then going to the referee for exemption. That was good for 2 years then the process starts all over again.
I am a hot rodder, a racer, but Im bound by the state that gave me my license to uphold the rules set by the BAR, and the state of CA, or else I lose my job and license, pay fines and possibly do time.

Older cars do create some HC and CO, but can be dialed in to run very clean. They don't create alot of NOx unless they have alot of compression. There are some cars out there that are big NOx polluters and no matter what you do to them they produce high NOx. Technology has come along way, camshaft profiles have been changed to combat these problems and make power. As far as I'm concerned, when a car comes into my shop for a smog I hope it's stock and runs good. I also welcome modified cars which are done RIGHT (i.e. CARB approved parts, E.O. stickers, etc...call me ****) so long as the stuff if on there and hooked up as intended by the factory, runs better than stock and passes smog, whats the big deal? In CA, nitrous is not legal as in you cannot have the bottle hooked up in the car, if its there but the line isn't hooked up then its okay. Nitrous kits must carry a E.O. number. It is considered an "add-on" part which may adversely affect the effectiveness of the vehicle's emission controls.

As far as the law that says you cannot remove your emission equipment that is true. Just because your car is exempt, it is NOT exempt from purposely removing emissions equipment. HOWEVER, who is gonna enforce those laws? certainly not the locals, sherriffs or CHP. They could if they want to, especially if your out at your local street races and get popped. I remember back in the day friends of mine got tickets for "willfull removal or smog equipment" I think today only the importers get that.

The dyno testing that we do now is a good idea. Having the engine under load shows that it produces more emissions, especially NOx. NOx is the reason for the "brown air".

So in closing, thats whats going on out here. Same **** goes on in L.A.,
Sac and other metropolitan "Enhanced" areas. Enhanced areas are areas or counties that do not meet air quality standards and require the dyno smog test. "Basic" areas are areas that meet air quality standards than do not require the dyno smog test, but a two speed idle test. "Change of Ownership" areas are rural counties that only require a two speed idle test on change of ownership.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
Hey, I just read this thread and I gotta admit, its pretty informative. Its seriously stupid how they test the cars. One thing that pissed me off when I tested my stock 305 (the last day it was stock, and soon to be a 350) a japanese looking inspector is checking under my hood like a fuc king ****! He was asking me questions about my stuff being hooked up. I told him "Its none of your bussines, just test it" He got mad at me and was sniffing like a little ho! I got pissed and told him to go test imports, i mean it got heated. So, I passed without problems and he was pissed. i had my eye on him the whole time he was testing the car. Hell, I dont think they should have other people driving my car, its dissrespectfull. I spent all of my money and my time to make this car good, and all I get is a japanese dude being an *******, getting to drive my car.

Anyways, whenever I go testing I talk so much crap its not even funny.

However, I gotta hookup that can pass me with 60 bucks in a second. So, there showe it up yours government, go charge the big companies who pollute our air 80-90 percent of the time. Its bull and we all know it.

Oh, I am smelling a revollution in next 10yrs. Mcdonalds is going down.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Car: 89 Firebird, 92 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI, 355 TPI
Transmission: t-5, t-5
Axle/Gears: open 3.42, posi 3.42
I'm definitely feeling the hookup.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 AM

Car: 86 trans am
Engine: 350 cid from a 69 chevy truck
Transmission: original 700r4
I live in kentucky and they dont test for smog here. but if you remove you'r cat and take the car to an exhaust shop they are suposed to report you, I have seen one shop in my area that was fined for installing a dual exhaust system on a car that had the cats removed .

on anouther note about the ODB III system . I used to drive for USA truck INc. around 3 years ago and they have the quale com system onboard there trucks, and at any giving time the company can check out the trucks systems remotely, from any state.

I have had them send me a message to report to the terminal for repairs, that I didnt know the truck was needing.

I think It will be just a matter of time and the fed's will have that type of system on everything!. we will be tracked from point A to point B and back.
and they can check vehicle stats as well. the technology has been around for years .
Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Car: 91 B4C/91 RS 305
Engine: L98 and L03
Transmission: 2xTH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD/2.73 Open
Re: understanding CA smog laws

Originally posted by cubano
I ran across this great web site JTR (Jaguars That Run)--they write manuels on how to swap V8 into Jaguars/Volvos/S-10s/Astro vans, cars that weren't equipped with V8.

They are based out in CA and have delt with smog laws for many years. This site is very informative and will clear many questions about CA smog laws:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

if someone has already posted this, forgive the repeat
so does this mean that swapping in an aftermarket engine is still legal because it is newer than the original and does it mean that it doesn't matter what parts are on the car as long as they have been made to have the emissions controls and can still pass the sniffer test?

That is what I got from the above link and wanted to know if anyone else came to the same conclusion.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:45 PM

2 trips later

Praise the car gods... the last two states I lived in, and now SC, no emissions testing. As far as the feds, well I doubt the FBI will come kickin' in your door if you put non-certified headers on your car.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM

...and as far as OBD III, well the doors are closing and I pose the question: How free do you think you are?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by darkhorse91
so does this mean that swapping in an aftermarket engine is still legal because it is newer than the original and does it mean that it doesn't matter what parts are on the car as long as they have been made to have the emissions controls and can still pass the sniffer test?

That is what I got from the above link and wanted to know if anyone else came to the same conclusion.
You can put in an aftermarket engine as long as it was built as a replacement for your application. There have been reports of total jerks getting **** with the inspection and failing a swap because the casting date is before the chassis manufacturing date (year), but I'm sure there's more to the story of those instances.

As for "parts", they have to be service replacement parts (example: EGR valves), or certified replacements (such as headers). You can't expect to put a carb'd crate motor in an '89 chassis with long-tube headers, for instance, even if it can "pass" the sniffer test.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM

Car: 91 Z28 24th Anniversary
Engine: L98
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.23
I am a Smog tech in CA. In my opinion, and even if I wasn't a smog tech, ALL vehicles operated on streets should be tested, no matter what year.

An engine replacement is:
any engine the vehicle was originally optioned.
example: 84 camaro.
If it came with a V6(2.8) you can legally put a 5.0 as long as it has all emission items for the 5.0 that would have come with the 84. the 5.0
was an option for that year. A 5.7 would not be legal.

An engine change is:
Any engine that was not an option for that year, make, model.
All engine changes must be aproved by the Califoria referee.
If you take your car to the referee, they will check it to see what's legal or not. If there is an engine change legally done, they will put a label on the drivers door jam that will list engine year and size, all needed emission systems, and ignition timing. If at that time everything is there and working they will test and pass it. If not, they will test it and fail it, with what's needed to pass, except for tail pipe emissions. If the engine change is not legal you will not be certified.

For an aftermarket part to be legal, it must either:
1. be made to replace OEM parts by design.
2. the manufacturer must prove it does not negatively affect the emissions and receive a C.A.R.B. OE #
All aftermarket parts needing a CARB label must have the label attached.
It is up to the owner to prove all modified parts are legal. It is NOT up
to the smog tech to prove.

California says:
You can do anything you want after the CAT. If you have single exhaust, you cannot change it to dual exhaust with dual cats. You can make dual exhaust after the cat. (If you want, you could add a cat after the cat, but any damage/fire, responsibility would be on the one who installed it.)

Nitrous is not legal in california.

If you take your car to the referee, they will check it to see what's legal or not. If there is an engine change legally done, they will put a label on the drivers door jam that will list engine year, make and size, all needed emission systems, and ignition timing.

California allows 500 "special construction" cars a year to be exempted. Usually filled within the first few months. That's only for those kits of old design that are going to be registered as say a 1964 Cobra. If it's registered as a 1976 or newer, it must be tested, even lamborghini's.

There are people un in the state trying to get older vehicles back into the smog program, to about 1960.

I've had my licence since 1988. I've seen it all(LOL). At least, I think I have.
Not much gets by me, but I am human. I do make mistakes. If a vehicle comes in with a cam that is definitely not stock, it will fail my test. If I can't determine the engine size I refer it to the referee. I actually have called the referee on numerous times to ask questions if I'm not sure.

There is one place in California that's exemt from testing, Catalina Island. All other 76 or newer vehicles are tested. Right now, some basic counties are allowing new cars to be exempt the first 6 years. In the others and enhanced, the first 4 years. On change of ownership the first 4 years. On the outskirts of the state there are counties that only test on change of ownership.

Some of the emission systems help when the engine is cold. The evap system is not tailpipe related. But it is a polution control device and can lead to air polution

You would not believe how many people tell me:
My mechanic says...
I bought the car this way...2,3,4,15 years ago.
That check engine light is for...not emissions.
I've never heard that.
My car failed?????
It passed last time! (And I'm wondering why are they here, then?)

If people could leave well enough alone, there would be no need for testing. But after reading the posts on this board, and others, Testing is only going to get stricter and not going away for a long time.

Job security for me, so go ahead, remove whatever. In the long run you'll spend more money, and put money in the pockets of those who can advertise you need to spend money on their product, even if it's not legal (but they won't tell you that).

Last edited by 1991L98G92; 06-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about smog laws?