Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Questions about smog laws?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Questions about smog laws?

I have an 84 camaro with a 305 if a put in a 350 would it still pass smog emissions..
karnage xP is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Re: Questions about smog laws?

If your state still smog tests 84 cars AND if you replace all smog equipment, then yes it should pass. Here in Mass, they dont smog test cars older than 94.
inkjet2 is offline  
Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305cid
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Questions about smog laws?

I have a 92 RS with a 305TBI. I am in southern Nevada and am subject to smog testes. What would I need to do to install a carbed 350 and still pass smog?
702musclecarfan is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM
iTrader: (2)
kd5icr's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carrollton Texas.
Posts: 446
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Questions about smog laws?

What I know about the smog laws in texas is this. If your ride is 25yo and older there is no sniffer test HOWEVER say I drop in a ls1 into it, the second I let them pull the hood and they see it, I will have to pass a sniffer with the same numbers that rule that year. In other words it does not matter what year your car is, if you drop a late model engine (size doesnt matter) you will have to pass with number applicable to that year engine. As a side note I dont think Texas will be as harsh as Cali is as far as numbers go but it some cases they do use the cali standard as far as some aftermarket parts go (ie EO cert) but not on all parts.
kd5icr is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member
rusty vango's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: knoxville tn
Posts: 2,036
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: Questions about smog laws?

Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Think you are exempt and can do what you want? Think again. From a SEMA newsletter (and I believe all this to be technically accurate)

Memo 1A.
This refers to a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) memorandum that says it's illegal to remove, disconnect or disable a required emissions control device on any pollution controlled motor vehicle (PCMV), pretty much any 1968 (1966 in California) or later model year car/light duty vehicle used on public roads. What this means is that even if you don't have a local emissions-testing requirement, technically you can still break federal law by chucking/disabling your vehicle's smog equipment.

Federal Emissions Requirements.
If your area has emissions testing, almost certainly some form of underhood inspection goes along with it. Technicians will check to make sure that all required smog equipment is installed and functioning properly. This does not mean you can't change things! You just have to make sure changes you make are smog legal and comply with Memo 1A. Because you may need to prove compliance to an inspector, most product manufacturers offer documentation that states their products are at least "49-state smog legal," effectively claiming that their products satisfy the EPA requirements. One warning: Products that claim 49-state smog legality are not legal for use in California (or states that use California emissions standards) on PCMVs.

California (CARB) Emissions Requirements.
If you live in California or states that use California emissions standards, then Memo 1A/49-state smog legal isn't enough. Your product must have an Executive Order (EO) number issued by the California Air Resources Board to be legal for use on a PCMV, unless it can be considered a replacement part. That means the manufacturer of the product must obtain an EO number before the product can be advertised or sold in California. The manufacturer must also provide an underhood label with the part that inspectors can use to verify that it's appropriate for the vehicle it's on. Products that have EOs are often called "50-state smog legal" because having an EO satisfies both California and EPA requirements. This is pretty cut and dried except for some products like intake manifolds, which can qualify as replacement parts even though they're made by aftermarket companies. In these cases, many aftermarket companies include documentation explaining the status of these parts.
excellent post, now for all those posting about removal of their emissions equipment.shut up and read
rusty vango is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
05-14-2018 12:15 PM
Northern California
08-18-2015 12:38 AM
08-16-2015 11:40 PM
08-15-2015 10:04 PM
08-07-2015 09:55 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about smog laws?

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: